Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: oil leak

1. #1 oil leak 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    i have a 125 sinnis apache and it seems there is oil leaking out of the hose near the carb, is this something i should be concerned about. the bike is second hand and was apparently in storage for a while. ive done an oil change and i know i over filled it a bit. on the case it says something like 883mm and i dumped in a 1l bottle of oil... not to mention i didnt drain it 1st because i thought it was empty as the little window is black and looks like theres nothing in it. i rode it before i put the oil in and it didnt leak any oil. so im not sure if its over filled or theres a problem

2. #2 Re: oil leak 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    The little window was probably black because it may have already been overfilled. Adding another liter won't be good.

Start over. 1) drain the engine (I'd probably drain it cold because you may have 2 liters in there) 2) refill with the proper amount 3) warm the engine 4) drain again, while oil is hot 5) refill, again, with fresh oil.

Does it say 883 mM, or 883 mL?

A pic of the leaking hose would help. Could be the CCV hose? I don't know this particular bike well.

3. #3 Re: oil leak 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'd say it's overfilled. You should be able to see some metal behind the sight glass, if it was black that means that it was full with oil to begin with. For some reason it says 850ml on the side of the egine but it takes at least a liter of oil to fill it up. I always fill mine up with 1125ml of oil.

Fully drain it and fill it up with 1 liter of oil, make sure that the bike is level and then check the oil level, if the level isn't right keep puttlng small ammounts of oil in it until the level is right. You should not ride it until you have the correct ammount of oil in the engine since the oil pressure will be way too high and you can damage your engine components and gaskets.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.