Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Stripped Oil Drain Plug: Time-Sert Solution 
    I recently noticed some oil dripping from the bottom of my JH600 and soon discovered that it was the result of stripped oil drain bolt. Seems that on my last visit to the shop for an oil change the lad who’s been servicing my bike for a few years either misthreaded or overtorqued the bolt.

Well used some PTFE Seal Tape as the temp solution until I can find the right fix to rethread the oil drain plug. For the fix I can either use a Heli-Coil or Time-Sert. From my research it appears that the Time-Sert is the best solution (see here for details: Time-Sert). I’ve been unable to find one on Taobao and spent the better half of Sunday at the Shanghai No. 1 Tool market and the neighboring shops to try to source a repair kit, but came up dry.

Note: JH600 does not have a oil drain pan.

Therefore have a few questions.

• Does anyone know where in China I can source a Time-Sert repair kit? (otherwise I’ll have to order one form overseas).
    • The drain bolt is 14mm. Does that mean I should purchase the 14mm kit or will I need a kit that is larger for rethreading the plug that will then accomodate the insert and finally the bolt? What I'm asking is if the "M14" repair kit represent the bolt size.

Also, I’m concerned about metal shavings and found this posting online which should serve as some comfort provide a clean job is done:

Use the correct drill bit, put grease on it, drill a little bit. Take it out clean the drill bit, regrease, drill alittle more and clean again, again, again. When your done drilling, get a Qtip clean the hole. Then bend a 90 degree in the qtip and clean inside the case. After that, pour oil through it. I did about 2 qts. Then i installed the insert. Did the qtips again. Poured another 2qts through it. Filled it up with oil, started it for a few seconds. Changed the oil and filter, ran it few seconds, changed the oil and filter again.Filter looked good. The next two rides, we changed the oil and filter after each ride.It's been working great.

2. #2 Re: Stripped Oil Drain Plug: Time-Sert Solution 
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    I recently noticed some oil dripping from the bottom of my JH600 and soon discovered that it was the result of stripped oil drain bolt. Seems that on my last visit to the shop for an oil change the lad who’s been servicing my bike for a few years either misthreaded or overtorqued the bolt.
    Have you inspected the threads of the bolt and the drain hole? Are you sure the leak is not just a missing or bunged up crush washer?

Those directions for tapping the hole sound spot on, cheap oil works just fine.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Stripped Oil Drain Plug: Time-Sert Solution 
    Banned
    Had a whole set of different helicoil inserts, checked the garage and tool chest just now but can't remember who the hell borrowed the whole kit (drill, insert tool, tap, etc.)....
    Checked with a well known engineer just now on the phone and the *helicoil inserts* can still be easily found along Beijing EAST Road (Shanghai's hardware & tool shopping district)in the tool shops between Xizang Middle Road and Henan Middle Road.
    Good luck and you got my phone number anyway in case you need further assistance......

4. #4 Re: Stripped Oil Drain Plug: Time-Sert Solution 
    C-Moto Guru
    You could re-tap the hole to a bigger thread size and use a bigger drain bolt.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

5. #5 Re: Stripped Oil Drain Plug: Time-Sert Solution 
    Depending on the amount of beef left at the bottom of the engine you can buy a 15mm Thread Cutting tool and take the thread out to M 15.. Then you simply buy an M15 Plug.. .. There .. job done.. Piece of Pee...

Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post

Well used some PTFE Seal Tape as the temp solution until I can find the right fix to rethread the oil drain plug. For the fix I can either use a Heli-Coil or Time-Sert. From my research it appears that the Time-Sert is the best solution (see here for details: Time-Sert). I’ve been unable to find one on Taobao and spent the better half of Sunday at the Shanghai No. 1 Tool market and the neighboring shops to try to source a repair kit, but came up dry.

Note: JH600 does not have a oil drain pan.

Therefore have a few questions.

• Does anyone know where in China I can source a Time-Sert repair kit? (otherwise I’ll have to order one form overseas).
    • The drain bolt is 14mm. Does that mean I should purchase the 14mm kit or will I need a kit that is larger for rethreading the plug that will then accomodate the insert and finally the bolt? What I'm asking is if the "M14" repair kit represent the bolt size.

Also, I’m concerned about metal shavings and found this posting online which should serve as some comfort provide a clean job is done:

Use the correct drill bit, put grease on it, drill a little bit. Take it out clean the drill bit, regrease, drill alittle more and clean again, again, again. When your done drilling, get a Qtip clean the hole. Then bend a 90 degree in the qtip and clean inside the case. After that, pour oil through it. I did about 2 qts. Then i installed the insert. Did the qtips again. Poured another 2qts through it. Filled it up with oil, started it for a few seconds. Changed the oil and filter, ran it few seconds, changed the oil and filter again.Filter looked good. The next two rides, we changed the oil and filter after each ride.It's been working great.