Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    Just a little gear advice for anyone thinking about a Chinese helmet.

Last saturday I went for a day dirt biking with chinaV, we both ride Galaxy TGR 250's which are pretty good for what we do.

Not long in to the ride we attacked a perticularly nasty uphill single track, and whilst travesing a narrow little goat track my front wheel slid off the side of the track and dragged me and the bike down a 2m banking of soft soil.

No problem I thought, more embarassed than anything I slid down or rolled and landed below the bike. As i sat there, getting ready to dust myself off and chuckling to myself... WHAM the bike had flipped end over and hit my on the head and landed on my arm.

It turns out the triple clamp hit my head and left 3 small hole in my helmet and the footpeg gave my arm a good whack and left a nasty gash in my arm.

Suspecting a broken arm we called it a day and headed into town, one handed, to try to find an X ray machine.
    A great thanks to chinaV for helping me out and taking me home to Shenzhen (quite a long way)

So for anyone looking to buy an inexpensive motocross helmet I can defiantly recommend a Yohe brand helmet.
    In the two years I’ve owned it has been abused, gone karting, been on bike trips, buses, planes, cars. I’ve had the liner out of it maybe 50 times, sweated buckets in it maybe 100 times, hit more branches than I care to remember.
    The fit and finish has been very durable, it also has a great quick release fastening system.

This is not a marketing ploy or me after a freebie like most things on the internet, just me saying well done for saving me from a serious injury

Ride safe Rich

2. #2 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    could you please give us the model name or type number of your helmet?

And how about the shape fitting and weight?
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #3 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richardktm View Post
    Last saturday I went for a day dirt biking with chinaV ...

Lemme guess ... ChinaV took the pic? If so, he has an amazingly steady hand, because I am sure he was laughing his own ass off. Of course, what is most important is that the nurse had a steady hand.

PS: Sorry to hear about your spill, but glad all is well. BTW, does the TGR need any hospitalization? Or did your melon sufficiently soften the blow?

4. #4 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richardktm View Post
    JChinese helmet. It turns out the triple clamp hit my head and left 3 small hole in my helmet
    GET WELL SOON and classy pics.... perfect round holes....

Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    could you please give us the model name or type number of your helmet?
    And how about the shape fitting and weight?
    Yohe Helmets, they are quite common around Shanghai area with the Chinese bikers and a few shops at the Shanghai Hutai Road bike parts market carry them....
    http://s.taobao.com/search?q=yohe+helmets&app=detail

5. #5 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    All's well that ends well!

Get well Richard!

And think about buying body protector - it saves you, especially when you're in the wild, with no people around.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

6. #6 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 

7. #7 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Glad and happy to read that you came out of that with more than just your brain intact Rich. sounds like the Yohe branded helmet of which I am also very familiar with (had 3 different Yohe helmets at one point but discarded them - rubbish binned) held up well to the abuse.

I think it is only fair to understand and appreciate that a lot of R&D goes into quality helmet design, ergonomics, and crash testing... in my mind Yohe are no where near being at the level of a HJC let alone a Shoei or Arai of which I have had many over the years. One Arai many years ago withstood a very high speed and high impact crash with deep gouges and scratches across the left "side" and visor after a heavy impact where I snapped the front forks on my Yamaha FJ1200 and shunted a car from a motorway across opposing motorway lanes into the mangrove swamp running alongside that section of motorway. The helmet was a write off as was my bike, but both had done their jobs, as had my leathers. If I'd been wearing anything less than a top of the line helmet, I'd not be here or able to craft this reply here today, I'm sure of that. I'm almost certain had I been wearing a Yohe, I wouldn't be here to record the tale. Irrespective the Yohe helmets I have had (all 3), have been nothing like any of the HJC's (4 I own currently) let alone the 2 shark evoline II's I have. The Yohe screens are thin and easily scratch, and it is only after one tries a better quality helmet that one notices the differences, at least that was how it was in my case, which is why the 3 Yohe's I had at the time, went unceremoniously into the rubbish bin. Not to worry though, I'm sure that they would have found their way into the recycling scheme and are likely to be found gracing someone else's noggin. Each to their own!

When it comes to motorcycles and motorcycle protection I say one shouldn't take any short cuts, at least that is MY view on the topic. Where possible ATGATT.

YMMV!

8. #8 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    in my mind Yohe are no where near being at the level of a HJC let alone a Shoei or Arai....
    as the old saying goes.... If you have a 10$ head - buy a 10$ helmet......
    I am very surprised about the almost perfect round holes in the Yohe helmet as pointed out in my earlier post today.

9. #9 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    #1 I'm glad it wasn't worse and you're healing fast Ritch.

#2 LJH...I did not take the picture... I'm not good with blood, worse would have been witnessing Rich's ass.

#3 The Yohe did its job, probably because it had and Arai sticker on it

#4 Note to self about improving my first aid kit with bigger bandages.

#5 When you come upon your buddy, he's clutching his arm and you see blood, the first thing to go through your mind is...oh shit...compound fracture. We were lucky it wasn't worse. NEVER ride enduro alone.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #10 Re: YoHe motorcross helmet does it's job. 
    The model was a Yohe 623-6, I will buy the same helmet but with a different paint job, I'm trying to stay away from black and go more towards white gear for the summer months.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=8333812745&

this helmet has a lot of vents in it which is a good thing in south china.

Like i said its a decent quality INEXPENSIVE helmet, obviously I'm not comparing it to top of the range 5000rmb helmets just saying it's ok for a pure offroad helmet that doesn't get pampered.

Thanks for the comments guys, arm feels much better after one week, stiches out this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast