Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 greetings from beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everyone,

my name is mirko and i am currently living in beijing, but soon to move to shanghai, in april/may to be exactly.
    i am planing to buy a supersports motorcycle to attend as many as possible track days to live out my passion again after a break of almost two years.
    maybe some of you can give me some info on how to solve issues to buy a bike, but i guess i will open a separately thread for that later.

cheers

mirko

2. #2 Re: greetings from beijing 
    Banned
    Welcome to Shanghai - enjoy your stay in most probably the most motorbike unfriendly city in ML China. Yes, tons of legal bikes available from the usual suspects like HD, BMW, KTM, Ducati, Bimota, Jialing, Sineray, Benelli, MVAgusta, etc...etc and the topic has been discussed extensively in the past. Great info about Shanghai biking via the search function.

Be prepared to pay some real $$$$'s for a import bike and Shanghai license plates are rather very-very expensive lately..... If you can find one that is......

3. #3 Re: greetings from beijing 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hi Mirko, welcome aboard the MCM family. As TB-Racing pointed out the are many options, from imported bikes (legal [BMW, HD, Ducati, Suzuki et al.] versus grey market [smuggled]) and locally manufactured ones [Jialing, Shineray, Regal Raptor, CFMoto, Benelli, Loncin e al.]. Use the search function up near the top right of the MCM webpages, as the bikes and your question have been discussed ad-nauseam. Even if you just browse through the various forum category posts http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/forum.php you will stumble across many discussions on 600cc+ options. You can then use that information to conduct your own "search."
    You will find some very important info and insight on what is involved to get a motorcycle license as well as the expensive Shanghai license plate, which are around CNY90,000 for the SH 沪A plate.

4. #4 Re: greetings from beijing 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    .......the expensive Shanghai license plate, which are around CNY90,000 for the SH 沪A plate.
    wishful thinking, before CNY holidays "A" Shanghai plates were 150k RMB and HOG forum shows posts that someone paid 176k RMB last week.....

5. #5 Re: greetings from beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome to MCM, Mirko. Hope you enjoy your stay. There is lots of info on this site about buying/registering/riding in China.

Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    ... someone paid 176k RMB last week.....
    Simply incredible. Damn.

6. #6 Re: greetings from beijing 
    Здраво-живо Мирко!

Welcome to MCM!
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #7 Re: greetings from beijing 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Mirko,

If you are planning ONLY to be riding on the Shanghai tracks, you can do what lots of guys do and buy your kilobike from whoever, wherever, and then trailer it to the track or simply garage it there. I've never been on a track so I don't understand the attraction, but if that's your cup of tea, I see no reason why you would need to spring for the Shanghai 沪A plate. Just don't take that bike out onto the public streets unless you want to risk a whole lot of mafan.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: greetings from beijing 
    Banned
    If you are planning ONLY to be riding on the Shanghai tracks...
    Track-day only bike, would wait if the F1 Track-Days (public days) are back on in 2013 for sure after the incident and bike ban at the F1 Circuit as of middle of last year. MCM has a couple of posts about track-days at the crappy Tianma Track (Songjiang) and the F1 Circuit (Anting). Renting a track bike and gear is another option that might appeal to some.....

Zhuhai Circuit in Guangdong province has way more action going on in terms of track-days: http://www.zic.com.cn/en/

9. #9 Re: greetings from beijing 
    C-Moto Noob
    thx for the warm welcome,

well i do not plan to ride on the public shanghai streets so a license plate is out of the question, those prices are truly incredible!
    what did happen last year, what incident are you talking about?

10. #10 Re: greetings from beijing 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.evil View Post
    !
    what did happen last year, what incident are you talking about?
    The F1 Circuit management decided after a certain track day and the incident during the middle of last year to stop all official public track days at the F1Circuit. There is some small hope that F1 Circuit track days will happen again for motorbikes but only time will tell....

The last time I know motorbikes been out on the F1 Circuit was weekend 9-11 Nov. 2012 during the combined Audi / VW / Porsche / Lamborghini / Ducati event....;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast