Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Who has bought a scooter off Tabao 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi all,

Just making an inquiry as to who has bought a scooter off Tabao.

I kind of like the Yamaha Cygnus copy's

They can be had in both 125cc and 150cc flavour, with some really nice looking paint schemes.

I was looking a few places on Tabao, and it seems they can be bought for around 2200 RNB plus 100 shipping.

Whats the downfall of buying off Tabao, ?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=17881763279

Gra.

2. #2 Re: Who has bought a scooter off Tabao 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Graham,

I bought my scoot from a local shop but I have seen some people buy off of taobao. If you have some space, knowledge and patience...it should be no problem. From what I have seen...the scoot will not arrive ready to run. You will receive a big box with most of the assembly complete but for sure you will need to attach the front wheel, mirrors, and what other accessories (not a problem with simple tools). Check to make sure a battery is shipped with scoot...if so add the battery fluid and attach. You may need to check the electrical connections, change the oil, and adjust the carb. If everything goes smoothly you will be riding...the difficulty comes if something is broken or doesn't work. Then you are in back and forth communication with a long distance for parts to travel. I was going to buy one of the Zuma type scooters off of Taobao but ended up just buying a motorcycle locally.

I will say this...the local shop I bought from is great for customer service...anything that has broken or I have wanted to change...they have done it and usually at no charge, very small charge, or just charge for the parts. I have the same type of scooter and a qj150-19a. I love my scoot.

Ps. you still in Wiefang...I'm in Rongcheng

3. #3 Re: Who has bought a scooter off Tabao 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear gmblnmstr,

What happened when you went to register your scooter? Do the Taobao sellers provide you with all the necessary paperwork? Here in Shanghai I had to show quite a few documents, including factory production certificate, various tax certificates and probably others (all listed in my Getting Legal thread). My case was special because mine was the first JH600 registered in Shanghai, so it had to be introduced into the vehicle management bureau computers. Still, everything had to be just right to get the registration processed.

Also, was it possible to consult beforehand with the bureau about whether yours was on the list of bikes that could be registered? Or did you just roll the dice?

Thanks!
    Euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Who has bought a scooter off Tabao 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have been reading Taobao and most of the sellers will charge extra for the legal documents, and I have also heard you can contact the local bureau and ask them what is and is not allowed in your city (inner and outter districts)

5. #5 Re: Who has bought a scooter off Tabao 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi all,

Just making an inquiry as to who has bought a scooter off Tabao.

I kind of like the Yamaha Cygnus copy's

They can be had in both 125cc and 150cc flavour, with some really nice looking paint schemes.

I was looking a few places on Tabao, and it seems they can be bought for around 2200 RNB plus 100 shipping.

Whats the downfall of buying off Tabao, ?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=17881763279

Gra.
    As you can see in Graham's post about a bike he wants off Taobao. At the very bottom of that astronomical page lol they take on an extra 600RMB to get registration certificate and proof of purchase.