Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 brand new second hand JH600 
    NOW FOR SALE 12,000 RMB

Hey,

I just bought myself a 2008 JH600 and she needs a bit of work. The guy i bought it from was only using it to ride to the bar and back and it only has 7700 kms on the clock! He dropped the bike and injured himself so decided to sell and look for a 250. Anyway, the bike's in good condition mechanically but I'm thinking about some mods after reading Pfaelzer's amazing thread!

Here are some pics...

IMAG0804.jpg

IMAG0805.jpg

IMAG0807.jpg

IMAG0809.jpg
    here you can see some of the accident damage
    IMAG0810.jpg
    more damage
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 01-08-2014 at 05:33 AM.

2. #2 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    C-Moto Guru
    He used it to ride to the bar? No wonder he crashed it :O
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

3. #3 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    The accident damage doesn't seem too bad, a bit of epoxy and taobaoing should take care of it.

There are a few other areas of greater concern where some advice would be greatly appreciated...

#1 forks
    I think they need some stiffening up. I cant really afford to invest in progressive springs at the moment but it seems that a w15 oil and maybe longer spacers could be the way to go.

#2 ECU
    I rode the 250 kms back to Shenzhen and it cut out once, doing 140 just before a corner! Motokai recommended a spark plug change which I will do, but should I change the ECU and are there any other faults with the 2008 model in this area?

#3 Panniers
    I really like the tourfella setup that motokai and others have but are there any cheaper options out there?

#4 Tool box
    Does anyone know of any manufacturers who can make a tool box as seen in Pfaelzer's thread?

#5 Exhaust
    Milton seemed to have a way of modifying the stock exhaust, does anyone know how this affects performance? What other cans are available in China?

4. #4 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by futianshenzhen View Post
    The accident damage doesn't seem too bad, a bit of epoxy and taobaoing should take care of it.

There are a few other areas of greater concern where some advice would be greatly appreciated...

#1 forks
    I think they need some stiffening up. I cant really afford to invest in progressive springs at the moment but it seems that a w15 oil and maybe longer spacers could be the way to go.

#2 ECU
    I rode the 250 kms back to Shenzhen and it cut out once, doing 140 just before a corner! Motokai recommended a spark plug change which I will do, but should I change the ECU and are there any other faults with the 2008 model in this area?

#3 Panniers
    I really like the tourfella setup that motokai and others have but are there any cheaper options out there?

#4 Tool box
    Does anyone know of any manufacturers who can make a tool box as seen in Pfaelzer's thread?

#5 Exhaust
    Milton seemed to have a way of modifying the stock exhaust, does anyone know how this affects performance? What other cans are available in China?
    Congratulations, Tom, on your new JH. The black is the right color.

Euphonius and I did change the fluid in the front forks to stiffen it up. I just followed the leadership of Mr. E, with the supposedly better performance, which to be honest did not make much difference to me. But Mr. E swears by it. Ask him for details.

As far as the ECU stalling problem goes, the ECU version on Motokai's and mine (2009 I believe) is the one having the most severe symptom. Older version like Mr. E's is not as affected. So you need to make your own judgement on it. Again, check with Mr. E as well.

For the exhaust, I am still having my stock one. When I first got it, it backfired like crazy, which seems to have toned down a bit now. However, nothing can't be solved in this department with a pair of ear plugs. Motokai's Laser ProDuro does offer a lighter weight and purportedly better performance.

Cheers!

5. #5 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Tom,

Congrats on your very excellent score!

As Milton noted, changing to a higher viscosity fork oil made a substantial difference for me, all but eliminating what had been a pretty serious problem of fork dive. I try to balance my braking front and rear, but certainly favor the front brake and felt the diving was unsafe as well as annoying. At 90kg, I've got a few pounds on Milton, which could explain the difference to some degree. If I'm not misremembering, Milton may also have had his forks rebuilt after a getoff two years ago down in Zhejiang or Fujian. So we may be comparing substantially different equipment. I did not swap out the springs for progressives, or change the seals. If I were you I'd definitely tinker with the fork oil.

As for the ECU, I've indeed suffered far less stalling than the dangerously unacceptable levels that Milton, Motokai or Lao Jia Huo did, though my bike has not been immune altogether. And when it does stall, it's typically when you least want to stall and lose power -- like downthrottling into a turn. Before doing the ECU upgrade, Motokai became adept at using the electric starter to restart; I tend to drop a gear and use the clutch, but this is not always the safest response if, again, you are entering a turn and don't want to chirp your rear tire and lose traction. I actually purchased the entire ECU upgrade kit -- third-generation Bosch ECU and the slightly modified wiring harness -- but I've yet to install it, thinking, why tamper with success. For the time being, unless the stalling worsens, the kit stays in my apartment.

The bike is not very tolerant of shitty fuel, especially ethanol blends. The Jialing will purr at 140kph for hours, but mine had one terrible spate of high speed stalls and sputters on the expressway in Shandong that wasn't resolved until that tank of gas passed. So I wonder if that's what you experienced during your inaugural ride at speed?

Yes, I've also got the ProDuro can, which sets off car alarms when used properly and delivers very pleasing backfire almost on command. Nothing wrong with the stock muffler, especially if you prefer a quieter ride. I don't think any of us has compared output on a dyno, so any tailpipe-related performance increases are probably apocryphal. The ProDuro is definitely lighter -- maybe half the weight of the stocker -- and there's no doubt our bikes do SOUND more powerful...

Take a good look at your frame to be sure the previous owner didn't bequeath you any cracks. For a bike of its weight, some of the frame members are a bit underwhelming, especially the main frame under the seat and rear rack.

The only alternative to Du Rui's very nice Tourfella racks that I know of are those from Jialing, which are offered as an upgrade on the current JH600A model. They look OK, but the quality of the metal and machining doesn't come close to the TFs. And Du won't sell you the racks without the TF panniers....

You'll definitely want some sturdy hand guards unless you plan to always carry spare levers. If you are in the habit of dropping your bikes, lay in a few extra front turn signals (only 40 yuan or so a pop, from former Jialing marketing guy Tang Wei 唐炜 in Chongqing). The JH600 has handled all of my getoffs with aplomb (better than my clavicle and fibula). She's still too heavy at just under 200kg and not overpowering, so you'll NEVER lift your front wheel. But she's a fun ride, and very good for much of China.

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    One more thing: I'm guessing you're running the original Chenghsin tires. You might want to consider some better rubber, though this will raise one of the most vexing problems for owners of bigger displacement bikes: sourcing quality tires in our sizes. Most of us JH600 riders handcarry tires back from the US or Europe, which is particularly ironic in my case since I'm running lovely and rugged Kenda 761s that are made just across the strait in Ta*wan.

A bunch of us actually tried importing a batch directly from the factory to Kenda's suburban Shanghai plant, calling them "samples," but the shipment was stopped by Chinese customs because they are not registered by the Ministry of Transport (or whoever) for use in the mainland. Demand is so minuscule in the mainland that Kenda has no incentive to do what it takes to get these tires registered here.

You may have better access due to proximity to Hong Kong. Our tire size -- 130/80-17 4P 65H and 100/90-19 4P 57H -- is common to the Suzuki DR650, Yamaha XTZ600 Tenere,
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 (a blatant copy of the JH600!) and other popular bikes.

cheers!

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    thanks Milton and Euphonius! I think I'll move ahead with the fork oil and leave everything else for now. I've got a week off coming up so I'll do a few thousand kms around Guangdong and properly suss out the bike. It's great news that I may get away without the ecu mod, I think the money I save will go into registration which chinav reckons could be very tricky. fingers crossed eh!

8. #8 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Congrats on your purchase!

Only to/from the bar? Five years old, 7,700 kms? OK, that's about 1,500 kms/year. Assuming 20 kms round trip to the bar, that is 75 trips a year. As Spencer says, no wonder he crashed it ... surprisingly only once!

Just joking - looks good - correct color, too!

9. #9 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    on a totally unrelated matter

sayno.jpg

10. #10 Re: brand new second hand JH600 
    C-Moto Guru
    What's that front tire you've got on the bike? That definitely ain't no original Chengshin! Regarding tires, Motokai and I got Bridgestone Battlewings! I really love 'm and they can be bought from taobao for just below 1700 RMB a set.

Black side cover is less than 300 RMB from taobao. Don't think it's worth it to fix and repaint the current side cover. Unless you only plan to epoxy and then leave it like that!

As for the fork, I've put in 10W oil and it's way too stiff. Will try to reduce the amount of oil when I've got time and see how that works out.

ECU, leave it as it is if the stalling ain't too severe. Even if you do the upgrade, you still won't be stall free as far as I know.

@ Euphonius, Du Rui will do another pair of racks for someone who already both a set of TF's from him I hope?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast