Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Scooting in Beijing on B plates 
    So I originally thought the cost of the A plates was 20,000 RMB; not the 40,000 I heard is the norm these days. I only got 2 years tops before I return to the States for more schooling so taking that big a chunk out of my savings for a proper bike, plates, etc doesn't make sense at this point.

So I ask my fellow Beijingers, what's the risk of riding a legal scooter with a motorcycle license that has 京B plates inside the 5th ring?

I'm thinking confiscation is an issue. Perhaps problems getting gas. And if in an accident???

2. #2 Re: Scooting in Beijing on B plates 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hey r1smith

A plates were around 20K, last fall ... prices have jumped every winter for the past few years (no idea why that happens in winter). Yes, they are now around 40K. Crystal-ball stuff on what the future holds, but unless the gov't opens up the A plate market (and issues more A plates), it is quite likely that prices will continue to rise.

The rule in Beijing is B plates cannot go inside the 4th ring road (it is out-of-province plates that are kept outside the 5th ring road).

As for enforcement ... who knows ... are you generally a lucky guy? Right now, though, with this Party Conference going on in Beijing, people are saying enforcement is tight.

If you are stopped inside the 4th rr, with a legal B plate (and insurance, DL, etc), the bike will not be confiscated (it cannot be). It is commonly a 100 rmb fine (although some posters on the Chinese forums say they received a 200 rmb fine). It is also possible that you can receive 2 points, although this seems to be rare (be polite & apologetic). If you get stopped and fined, I think you have something like 4 hours (maybe 2, i forget) to hightail it out of the restricted area. Hang on to the ticket to prove you've already been nabbed. The "felony" is "entering a restricted vehicle passage area."

As for insurance coverage - I am unsure what a Chinese insurance company would do. Back home, I'd guess the insurance company would deny any claim. With a scooter, the big concern is hitting a pedestrian.

As for gas, some stations yes, some no. It seems some stations just hate MCs, period, regardless of how legal you are. Some don't really care.

Starting to warm up - and make it possible to ride again!

3. #3 Re: Scooting in Beijing on B plates 
    The fines don't seem to bad. But then again, I'm not the luckiest of fellows. I always get away ok in the end, but given my luck, I'd can't say my bank account won't share the same fate.

4. #4 Re: Scooting in Beijing on B plates 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    .....I think you have something like 4 hours (maybe 2, i forget) to hightail it out of the restricted area. Hang on to the ticket to prove you've already been nabbed.
    You bring back memories with your statement, many-many years ago Hangzhou started to enforce the "no motorcycle ban" citywide but you could get fined only once in a 24hr. period.
    We would arrive at the outskirts of Hangzhou with motorbikes, drive up to the first cop and ask him for a fine and ticket (10RMB at the time) and stick the traffic ticket onto the helmet or bike with double-sided tape and just point it out to the next cop trying to stop us down the road..... voila - 10RMB bought us a free city ride pass for 24hrs..... doubt very much you can get away with it nowadays....