Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Bike Recommendations 
    I've neen riding a crappy scooter for a few years now, and I've decided it's time to get a proper motocycle. I have some ideas, but wanted to hear peoples suggestions.

I live in Beijing and deal with terrible traffic so manueverability is important. The roads are decent for the most part, but some of the minor roads can get pretty beat up (i.e, pot holes gallore). Would also like to be able to make the occasional detour on the side walk to avoid being late for work, but I do that with my scooter already (yes, I know this isn't the most legal thing to do). I ride year-round, so also need a bike that won't kill me after a little snowfall. I will be plating it so it has to be BJ legal too.

With that in mind, I'm leaning towards a dual-sport style bike. I think cruisers and sport bikes are much cooler looking, but sometimes you gotta sacrifice style for practicality. I have about 20K RMB to spend on the bike alone (not including plates, insurance, etc).

Any suggestions? Should I go dual-sport or rock out something cooler with a street bike?

2. #2 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    As you stated you sometimes need to consider form over function, and vice-versa. Given your parameters as outlined by your wants and needs, a D/S (ADV) would seem like a fair compromise. Problem with that though is riding a clutch, in heavy stop-start traffic. One of the major advantages on a CVT clutchless bike which most scooters by nature have IMO. The downside to the scooters though is the lack of ground clearance and harsher ride given the shorter shocks when it comes to less than ideal/smooth road surfaces (depending on the scooter design), plus they don't go up and down curbs as easily as a D/S ADV styled bike. The latter will provide you with higher seating position to see the traffic/road user pattern round you allowing you to jump the odd curb, hit the unexpected pot hole or rock with more ease, but will test your resolve in the harsher climate conditions, whereas the former scooter will generally allow you to ride for longer, in less than ideal weather conditions, and get you to your destination less fatigued and in a better general state. I'd be the first in line for the motorcycle manufacturer who combines all the elements of a maxi scooter with a D/S ADV bike.
    A cross between say my AN650 Executive with my XT1200Z Super Tenere. Now that would be the ideal solution IMO.

Good luck with your decision. Another thing though, if you have some patience, you might like to wait several months before you make your buying decision/choice, as I have inside info that the planned CFMoto 650 twin (using the same engine as the 650NK and 650TR) D/S ADV styled won't be far off. Preproduction models have been made and are being tested currently. Top secret as I have been told, so many don't know about it. No firm details on release dates yet, after all preproduction data needs to be collated and worked through prior to production beginning.

The CFMoto 650TR which comes out in black, silver/grey, or red, has seen a limited/special production run of some 50 bikes painted by the factory in white. Only 50 available, even many CFMoto dealers don't know about this.

A couple of other possible locally manufactured D/S ADV options include the Galaxy XTR250, and the finally released Shineray XY400 (search MCM, for both bikes have posts about them).

I'm off to CFMoto factory in HZ within the next 2 weeks, will report back to MCM more related info if I get any.

3. #3 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    [COLOR=#848484 !important]I think one thing to consider in city traffic is the width of the handle bar. I ride kind of a dual-sport an in the city I always feel insecure about the wide handle bar. It is not so convenient when you want to zip through traffic jams. Also, I don't like automatic. So the ideaal city bike would be something like this: http://www.jialing.com.cn/newjl/en_w...p?productid=33
    or a classic farmer bike with more ground clearance: http://www.jialing.com.cn/newjl/en_w...p?productid=40
    [/COLOR]
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

4. #4 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    i looked at the Jialing photo...yes very practical..but i showed that model to friends before..maybe three dif. people all said ..butt ugly...sorry honda makes one for more money of course 10k closer in line to that but more scooter looking with car headlights..if you are interested i can find a photo..or you can on their website...they even have one with the Resporal color scheme. its a 110, little carrying space...also an automatic..

5. #5 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    The CFMoto 650TR which coUOTE=bikerdoc;53975]As you stated you sometimes need to consider form over function, and vicmes out in black, silver/grey, or red, has seen a limited/special production run of some 50 bikes painted by the factory in white. Only 50 available, even many CFMoto dealers don't know about this.

A couple of other possible locally manufactured D/S ADV options include the Galaxy XTR250, and the finally released Shineray XY400 (search MCM, for both bikes have posts about them).

I'm off to CFMoto factory in HZ within the next 2 weeks, will report back to MCM more related info if I get any.[/QUOTE]

i would stay away from the XTR galaxy..mine is a headache...even my chinese mechanic gives it a thumbs down after all the work needed...for instance first month needed a new intake as it wasnt seated properly..and 15 other things wrong. parts are cheap to buy...but not in the middle of the countryside...

CFmoto is really good on the other hand.... when you go to the factory, as i did, have your camera ready if the chief driver demonstrates the tr650 ability as he will stand it on its end and power brake into a power take off..it all happened so fast....I was able to test drive one...last april,,,that is why i bought one.

but overall...the TR650 well made, sounds great, smooth, no vibration...but too much for china..unless you plan on travelling distances... where i live no one here can travel....one day ride at best.

6. #6 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Beijing is rapidly becoming one of the shittiest places on the planet to live, and to drive. But it has one really great thing going for it -- fast proximity to absolutely brilliant rural motorcycling roads. So my advice would be rebalance your use profile to include as many rides outside urban Beijing as possible, rather than thinking primarily about your commute. On your budget, you could consider ditching the "crappy scooter" and getting an e-bike for all your urban riding, and get a little Jialing dual sport for getting out of town.

You might check with member Filipu, who is preparing to leave China and may not yet have disposed of his Jialing JH-150GY-3, which has given him a ton of joy on epic rides across China as well as lots of local riding in and around Beijing. Fahni, who posted in this thread above, has the same bike. He and Filipu have posted extensively about their experiences.

You could start with Filipu's thread called Jialing JH-150GY-3 Impressions.

One more bit of advice, while aesthetics are nice and all, this is China and you'll be cutting yourself off from a good portion of the very limited available choices if you spend too much time worrying about whether your friends think your bike is "cool" or not. A bike is cool if it meets your needs, gets you safely from Point A to Point B, and delivers the "joy payload" that is should be the main reason for riding in the first place.

Just sayin'....

Cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    C-Moto Guru
    I'd like to add that the Shineray X2 which has EFI now, is registrable in BJ now. Unlike the carburated model, which couldn't be registered in BJ.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

8. #8 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    Many thanks for the suggestions.

My crappy scooter is indeed electric. After three years, I'm looking for something with a little more umph.

Leaning towards dual sport. Heard good things about the Qingqi's QM200gy and Shineray's X2. Maybe a X4 if I can swing the cash.

Didn't think about lack of maneuverability of having a larger bike. But I don't think I want a scooter. After a snowfall, I've damn near killed myself on the electric bike. Wouldn't even want to think about driving a gas powered scoot in that weather.

9. #9 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    I saw the QingQi and the X2 standing side by side and QingQi was looking like a toy compared to the X2. Check that out depending on your height. For me the X2 was more suitable on my height of 186cm.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

10. #10 Re: Bike Recommendations 
    Yeah, just noticed that the X2 does sit a lot higher than the QM200GY. Will have to try either and see what feels best given my height and leathers. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast