Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Crooks with balls 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    The ads are back - a couple of YBR 250s (one red, one grey) from this morning:

YBR 250 deal 01.jpg

YBR 250 deal 02.jpg

Prices have also gone up!

2. #12 Re: Crooks with balls 
    C-Moto Guru
    Sometimes 58.com will have a legitimate bike on there but for the most part it is crooks and liars. I was tempted a year ago by a CBR 1000 but thankfully my common sense kicked in after my secretary told me about the bank transfer part. Regardless, used bikes cannot be legally registered, so unless you're looking for a track bike it's just as well to avoid the site altogether.

3. #13 Re: Crooks with balls 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Sometimes 58.com will have a legitimate bike on there but for the most part it is crooks and liars.
    So true - it is like the Craigslist of China. But sometimes, hidden in that pile of crap, is a gem. I just bought/transferred a bike today, from 58.com. But damn, one has to be really careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    I was tempted a year ago by a CBR 1000 but thankfully my common sense kicked in after my secretary told me about the bank transfer part. Regardless, used bikes cannot be legally registered, so unless you're looking for a track bike it's just as well to avoid the site altogether.
    Unfortunately, in Beijing, several of the "dealers" are actually "stealers" ... so I try to find <6 month, <2K kms bikes on 58.com/weifengtang, ganji, etc. They come up, but a person has to be quick, cash in hand. I've been waiting a long time for the 650TR ... it'll come ... it'll come. But got a couple of gems this past month. I've also learned the ins/outs of plate/registration transfers, so I can usually complete a deal within 24 hours.

But you're right ... there is so much crap on 58.com

4. #14 Re: Crooks with balls 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    So true - it is like the Craigslist of China. But sometimes, hidden in that pile of crap, is a gem. I just bought/transferred a bike today, from 58.com. But damn, one has to be really careful.

Unfortunately, in Beijing, several of the "dealers" are actually "stealers" ... so I try to find <6 month, <2K kms bikes on 58.com/weifengtang, ganji, etc. They come up, but a person has to be quick, cash in hand. I've been waiting a long time for the 650TR ... it'll come ... it'll come. But got a couple of gems this past month. I've also learned the ins/outs of plate/registration transfers, so I can usually complete a deal within 24 hours.

But you're right ... there is so much crap on 58.com
    Agree 100%

You might like the 650TR there LJH, as there are many things to like IMO.

Positives: Decent power 75HP, 212kg (not anywhere near as heavy as my Dragstar 1100 or Burgman 650), 6 speed gearbox, light clutch, not too grabby from the get-go. Has a nice throaty burbly sound from the standard exhaust, which tucks to the right nicely. Standard lights are pretty decent, though on low beam only the RHS light is on. I like the ability though to have control over the lights off/on, and the inclusion of LEDs though they could be AUDI bright. Fairing provides some protection from the elements. Mirrors actually work in their location, though having the ability to fold the pods would have been better than just having pop off pods. Inclusion of hazard lights is a plus. Lockable panniers and the little stow-away bins in the front fairing are a worthwhile concept, though omission of a power source (e.g. cigarette lighter) up front is a missed opportunity for little cost ex-factory.

Detractors: I find that the seat canters forward a little pushing one into the tank. The seat itself has more padding toward the rear section of the riders portion of the seat, as does the pillion section. In any other jurisdiction I'd get the seat redone, but being that TIC I'll leave it for now. Overall the 650TR is a pretty decent first attempt. Fit and finish is pretty okay, but there are some wants on my list for the 650TR. The side stand needs to be longer, being that it is too short and thus the bike has a fair amount of lean when placed onto the side stand. I'm having my side stand lengthened. The omission of the centre-stand is a piss-poor oversight IMO. What this means, with the bike on the side-stand leaning to far over to the LHS placing anything into the LHS pannier is made just that more complicated, given that the panniers don't come supplied with any type of internal luggage restraining hardware. The dash dials and LCD provide basic info. There's no trip meter functionality, no clock - again real oversights. The front screen needs some adjust-ability, to get the wind from the chest to up and over the helmet IMO. As it is, the air quality leaving a lot to be desired in many parts of PRC means that not having a adjustable screen results in bad air and everything that it contains hitting ones face/eyes. I've already added/packed in washers under the top fasteners of the screen raising the top edge about 1cm. Have ordered some longer 6mm replacement bolts to go even higher.

As is typical, IMO, it's the little details that have been missed - which is a shame, since most everything else is fairly decent, and only detract from what would be more than a good bike for TIC.

Didn't mean to railroad the thread; - planning to get round to a 650TR review of a similar style as the one on the Jetmax I did back in 2010. Just thought you might like the insights LJH.

5. #15 Re: Crooks with balls 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Didn't mean to railroad the thread; - planning to get round to a 650TR review of a similar style as the one on the Jetmax I did back in 2010. Just thought you might like the insights LJH.
    Greatly appreciated - I've been reading anything / everything about these bikes. They seem not bad. Looking forward to your own review!

6. #16 Re: Crooks with balls 
    Beijing police set up a sting operation, and netted three crooks ...

Full story here (linkie). By the way, what's with the "no handcuffs" but shoes removed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12