Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 818262728293038 ... LastLast
  1. #271 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Hi Jerry,

It seems to me that you have some dirt in your carburettor, so a strip down and a good clean should solve that one.

I would take it nice and easy on the bike for the first 500 km and not fully "open her up" until you've done at least 1000 kms if you want the engine to last. I would also be changing the oil and oil filter frequently for example at 100 kms, 250 kms, 500 kms, 750 and 1000km. Oil and filters are cheap, an oil and filter change gets rid of the swarf that the engine produces during the running period.. I think that I would inspect the oil after each oil change to see what's in there.

From what I have read it seems that you need to fully rebuild your bike ( except for the motor ) before leave onyour trip. A complete rebuild to make sure that it is correctly put together,not as it comes from the factory. And use thread lock on all the bolts so that they stay where they should be. There are very few mechanics in China that would know how to do this so it is could be a good option that you do it yourself and at the same time you will learn about your bike in case it you have problems on the way.

Over the last few weeks I have been considering the X5 for myself as it is the only option available for my biking tastes. I have drawn up a long list of improvements, i would change all the electrics to Honda ( even 20 year old Honda parts are better that new Chinese ones ), same for cables. Fit a Mikuni carb ( they always work ! ), rebuild all the rest of the bike exept the engine which seems to be ok.

Hope I have given you somehting to think about.

Symon
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

2. #272 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi Jerry,

so, is the new version of the X5 any different from the old one apart from the graphics in the tank? I wonder what did they improve that make the bike stop after 15km ;) hah anyway, hope its not to bad and can be easily fixed like Symon said.

I heard some bad opinions about the alu panniers tho. Two guys who traveled around China said that after you drop your bike and the box deforms a little its impossible to make it waterproof again. I dont know what boxes did they have but both of them had the same experience. On my trip I used the plastic "Pelican" fakes from taobao (around RMB350) and they performed beautifully. Completely waterproof (both were underwater in the river) and I came off the bike on an icy road in the mountain. Left box took all the impact, and even tho it was below 0, it didnt brake (not even a single scratch on the bike ;)

3. #273 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Noob
    i'll ask today when i go back to the shop to get the jing b about the changes to the new version. it now only comes in gray (not white), i believe the front brake line issue that shuben brought up has been fixed, gas tank is now alum and not plastic (it's also a lot bigger, i believe 19L), hmm i'm not sure what mechanical improvements they've made. i'll get back to you guys on that. hopefully i'll rendezvous shortly with shuben on a weekend ride and we can examine the two bikes more closely for differences.

how much was the rack for your pelican fakes? i just tried looking them up on taobao, you happen to still have the links? you might have just saved me a couple grand! this nice-looking alum pannier set + rack was 3,000, saw it on another x5 and it looks great!

thanks guys for the insight on the carb and oil changes!

4. #274 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi,
    I talked to Jeff about the design updates on the X5,
    The tank is metal now. also the gas feeler is on a different position which should make it more precise I assume.
    The biggest change is that they got rid of the oil cooling altogether.
    On the old X5 model the engine was painted black so it got too hot and needed extra cooling - the new model has a no color on the engine and can therefore be aircooled.
    Sounds stupid? TIC

5. #275 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Golden Boy,

Doesn't sound stupid at all. An unpainted aluminium engine expels heat very efficiently but when painted the heat stays in the engine. However I would still prefer with the oil cooling, as long as there is a thermostat, to control the oil temperature on hot days and to increase the engine's oil capacity.

Anyway the Honda Xr400's engine wasn't painted and still had the oil cooler so if Honda thought it was necessary it probably is necessary. So TIC again and Shineray are probably just trying to save some money.

Symon
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

6. #276 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    Golden Boy,

Doesn't sound stupid at all. An unpainted aluminium engine expels heat very efficiently but when painted the heat stays in the engine. However I would still prefer with the oil cooling, as long as there is a thermostat, to control the oil temperature on hot days and to increase the engine's oil capacity.

Anyway the Honda Xr400's engine wasn't painted and still had the oil cooler so if Honda thought it was necessary it probably is necessary. So TIC again and Shineray are probably just trying to save some money.

Symon
    Or have no idea how to deal with the heat issue, and are clutching at straws in the hope that the unpainted alloy engine will just work. Assume the company really has little to no idea... today an oil cooler, tomorrow not... reason... "ah, I dunno"
    TIC as stated

7. #277 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Bikerdoc,

I leant the hard way about heat and alumnium engines with a Rover V8 powered Truimph Stag I made for my ex wife in Spain. I bought the reconditioned engine in the UK and they had painted to improve its appearance. To cut a long story short the car overheated like a kettle even in the winter, I did a few fixes like custom made high efficiently radiator, ducting to imprive airflow to the radiator, extra water capacity with 2 litre expansion bottle but with no real improvement.

One day I visited one of the local motorbike teams and struck up a conversation with one of the Honda engineers, we got around to cooling and he gave me the idea about painted aluminium engines. Next weekend, I whipped the motor out, stripped all the paint off the allumium block and heads ( very time consuming ). Problem solved, the engine stayed at 90ºc even in 40ºC summer days.

Honda fitted the XR400 with a oil cooler for a reason and I would suggest that any X5 owne,r who intends to use the bike and "give it some", has one too. Even better with a thermostat so that the oil can warm up ( Cold oils don't lubricate well ) then the termostat opens to keep the oils cool. Ideal temperature for an oils is somewhere between 80 and 120 ºC depends on the oils.

It would seem that Shineray are saving some money not painting the engines and not fitting an oil cooler but without giving too much thought of the end product which is fairly normal for China.

Symon

8. #278 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Noob
    stupid question, so how would you retrofit an oil cooler to the new v of the x5 then? a related question, i'm doing beijing-berlin this summer and there will likely be stretches of desert / steppe terrain where i could be riding nonstop for the whole day under a blazing sun. how often should i stop and any signs for engine overheating?

ALSO IMPORTANT DEFECT ON THE NEW X5: so it turns out when they switched from plastic to aluminum gas tank for the x5 2.0, they designed the lid to be too air-tight. so when my engine died the first day, according to the mechanic, it was because there was a vacuum in the tank. so it's in the shop right now and i think they'll have to drill an air-hole somewhere up top. apparently this doesn't happen with every bike off the line, but it happens enough that the shopgirl sheepishly acknowledged that they've had to do this fix before. ridiculous right!?!?

9. #279 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryguo View Post
    how much was the rack for your pelican fakes? i just tried looking them up on taobao, you happen to still have the links? you might have just saved me a couple grand! this nice-looking alum pannier set + rack was 3,000, saw it on another x5 and it looks great!

Im not sure about a rack for the X5 cos I have a different bike. Quick search on taobao gave me this one. At RMB600 its a bit pricey but still not bad. I think my was RMB350. The exact boxes I bought are here, but if you want better quality (although mine are great) you can look for Wandefu (万德福) boxes on taobao or specifically Wandefu toolboxes. Wandefu boxes are Pelican fakes and the ones I bought are Wandefu fakes ;)

My rack has a funny design so I could not fit quick release and had to bolt my boxes but thanks to this I had a winning pannier set for about RMB700 hah

I think it was a terrible idea to get rid of the oil cooler. Last year when I was considering the X5 there was a big concern on Chinese forums about this bike not being liquid cooled as people wanted to use them for traveling and feared air/oil cooled is not enough for riding all day in hot Chinese summers/areas. It seems that they are trying to kill all hope.
    Last edited by modron; 05-09-2014 at 04:08 AM.

10. #280 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    For the luggage rack I paid 550RMB + transport fee.

I think omitting the oil coolers is a sh.. idea. Even with coolers my engine got nice hot in the summer time. By omitting the coolers they also decrease the circulating oil quantity. that means less media for heat transfer. The first X5 I got had a unpainted engine. Because of the clutch issues I got another bike that had then a black engine.

BTW: have they solved that clutch problem or is it still like a snap in feeling in the last moment before releasing the lever completely?
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 818262728293038 ... LastLast