Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12341222 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    I haven't adjusted the suspension yet. Also i did not ride with a passenger until now.
    The front seems fine to me. The rear is a bit soft but on road still OK.
    As I understand it You only need a screw driver. I will check it out and do some detail photos in the next days.

Colors:
    The dealer said it is only available in the colors my one has.

But I did some play with photos to imagine other colors. Maybe one day I spray it. (?)

X5 promo photo blue-yellow.jpgX5 promo photo Red Grey.jpg
    I would like the red/grey design.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

2. #12 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Nice one, congrats on the new bike and thanks for the write-up Shuben!

Hopefully your gearbox just needs to be broken in and will get smoother in the coming rides.

It's certainly a pretty tempting bike for real china riding, i'm looking forward to see what you think of it.

How does it ride when you stand on the pegs? It looks narrow enough to be comfortable, are the bars high enough?

3. #13 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    @Felix:
    Standing on the pegs (on tar) is easy as the bike is slim. The pegs are a little short for big foot. I must try it when going offroad after the ride in phase. The seat is wide enough to be comfortable for longer ride.
    For my height I had a god upright position with the handlebar. It’s not too narrow and the level in relation to the seat fits me.
    Here some photos I made today about the cable situation:

1. The cables coming from the generator
    2. Front brake light cable connection
    3. Rear turnsignal cable too short, rubber plug can’t fit

I will have to improve these. I am sure there is still more.

engine cable.jpgfront brake cable con.jpgshort cable turnsignal.jpg
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #14 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    the red and grey photoshop looks proper smart, for those little bits of wiring poking out i would suggest electrical wire tape then some heat shrink to keep moisture out.

Kennon

5. #15 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    today i went for oilchange. The guys there are really ok for farmbikes, but others?????
    After they had drained the oiland removed the filter they learned they have no new filter.
    Only solution was the clean up the used one with carb cleaner. Not perfect but better than nothing :-(

At least new oil in now.

The gear and/or clutch has a problem.The right guy wasnot there so i have to come again. I am really eager to learn how that will be solved. But i still can ride at first.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

6. #16 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    today i went for oilchange. The guys there are really ok for farmbikes, but others?????
    After they had drained the oiland removed the filter they learned they have no new filter.
    Hahahaha - I apologize, I shouldn't laugh - but it is sooooooo common for the local mechanics to proceed without the replacement parts at-the-ready. But every tiny shop has at least 3 cans of carb cleaner (and one massively large ball peen hammer) within arm's reach at all times. BTW, is it ok to mix that stuff in with oil? I'm guessing (and it is just a guess) that it might break apart the oil's protective chemistry? If a new filter (or 10) is being rushed to Beijing, it is usually ok to run without a filter for a short period of time.

Reminds me of when I took delivery of my shiny new Harley in Beijing, and they wanted to "clean" the smudges off the paint with carb cleaner. I wonder if Chinese mechanics' overalls are manufactured with a special hip pocket designed to perfectly fit a can of carb cleaner?

7. #17 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    I read the main ingredient in carb cleaner is MEK, it is also found in lubricating oils? But keep in mind you have a wet clutch and some oils are not recommended for that set up. That ingredient found in lubricating oils would likely be called detergent oils? That would not be recommended for your situation, you do not have or need MEK in your oil and should get your new filter and flush that stuff out.

I am just not sure, it may not be an issue?
    http://www.ehow.com/about_6761438_de...motor-oil.html
    http://www.ehow.com/list_6029898_ing...-cleaners.html

8. #18 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    [QUOTE=Lao Jia Hou;55153]Hahahaha - I apologize, I shouldn't laugh - but it is sooooooo common for the local mechanics to proceed without the replacement parts at-the-ready. But every tiny shop has at least 3 cans of carb cleaner (and one massively large ball peen hammer) within arm's reach at all times. BTW, is it ok to mix that stuff in with oil? I'm guessing (and it is just a guess) that it might break apart the oil's protective chemistry? If a new filter (or 10) is being rushed to Beijing, it is usually ok to run without a filter for a short period of time.

the filter will do it job and really doesnt need replacing that quickly...but most motor heads like everything clean and new when possible.
    dont you love it when they throw stuff on the ground and later hunt for it ...then have to wipe it clean...and just hopefully they dont step on it when they are doing the work...

9. #19 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    On my x2x the oil filter is made of steel mesh, not of the paper type. The going theory is that it is recyclable as the metal mesh is more durable and can be cleaned with carb cleaner. I don't know if x5 is equipped with the same stuff or not, or if the story of recyclable filter holds any water.

10. #20 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    On my x2x the oil filter is made of steel mesh, not of the paper type. The going theory is that it is recyclable as the metal mesh is more durable and can be cleaned with carb cleaner. I don't know if x5 is equipped with the same stuff or not, or if the story of recyclable filter holds any water.
    carb cleaner cannot be good for the oil...i would drain the oil and start again..not much money at all!
    i would get a new filter when you can...because the filter you have now has carb cleaner stuck to it..of course if its a paper one....

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12341222 ... LastLast