Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223040 ... LastLast
  1. #191 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    have ordered already a new set of stainless steel spokes from Germany.
    This should eliminate the safety issue.

With China bikes it is simply same as all other things in China.
    "What costs nothing is nothing" & "What cost a little is only a limited Quality"
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

2. #192 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    next it will be rims, then hubs, bearings, swingarm, frame, electrical harness, indicators, lights, brackets, chain, pistons, rings both oil and compression... hahaha soon only the sticker or decal will be OEM, even that will likely peel off...

LoL

3. #193 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Shuben,

What did Shineray say about your wheel failure ?

I was getting quite excited about buying an x5 as it ticks all the boxes for me. It seems to be the only bike available in China that is I would like but after reading about this type of failure ............................................

It seems to me now that the only option for me is to buy BMW F650 GS and that is so much more that I wanted to spend.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

Stop whining you bunch of first worlders, just put better spokes on the rear wheel when you buy it, I'm definitely getting this bike

5. #195 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    I've had my fare share of China moto spoke issues and it seems to me the problem has more to do with poor lacing and tensioning of the spokes than the quality of the materials. I started busting rear spokes on every ride with my TGR last year and fixed it by loosening all the spokes and re-tensioning them. Knock on wood, haven't broken another one since and I've pounded the wheels pretty bad on plenty of rocks.

Cheers!

6. #196 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentza View Post
    Stop whining you bunch of first worlders, just put better spokes on the rear wheel when you buy it, I'm definitely getting this bike
    I am definately not getting one of these, my pleasure time is limited and I want to enjoy not spend my time fixing things that a shoddy Chinese factory cannot make correctly. There is no excuse for these things happening on a 7000 kms bike and it makes me think what will be left after 20 000kms. I maybe a first worlder but I am certainly not whiining, There will be a decent bike in my garage before xmas, so ieither a Suzuki, Honda, Kawa, yamaha, Ktm or Beemer.

I hope that you document you adventures with your X5 so we can all have a laugh. I hope you enjoy !
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    I am definately not getting one of these, my pleasure time is limited and I want to enjoy not spend my time fixing things that a shoddy Chinese factory cannot make correctly. There is no excuse for these things happening on a 7000 kms bike and it makes me think what will be left after 20 000kms. I maybe a first worlder but I am certainly not whiining, There will be a decent bike in my garage before xmas, so ieither a Suzuki, Honda, Kawa, yamaha, Ktm or Beemer.

I hope that you document you adventures with your X5 so we can all have a laugh. I hope you enjoy !
    :D Seem to have hit a nerve there, given a choice I would buy an expensive brand, or if there was a second hand bike market here that consisted of nice legal big bikes, then I'd get one (all the bikes over 250cc so far are illegal smuggled or stolen ones in terrible condition), I really enjoy working on bikes and it's part of the whole experience for me.. I simply can't just buy a bike and then ride it as is, I love to tinker, change and improve, these bikes look like the perfect mix of "not as shit as most China brands" and "not as good as most foreign brands" leaving plenty of room for tinkering and improvement whilst being able to be legally registered here and having the parts available through the local factory... try sourcing that foreign abs computer doohicky whilst stuck in a tiny rural town... may as well push the bike home :D I shall chronicle the mishaps and adventures of my X5 when I get it

8. #198 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Im with you serpentza, For me the relatively simple mechanical aspect of motorcycling was one of the big draws for me and I don't really think this is a hugely complex issue especially if you know about it in advance. I don't know how to true a wheel so this will give me a chance to learn too. I'm probably still going to get this bike.
    Will the Zongshen RX3 survive??http://kelleyssilkroad.blogspot.com/

9. #199 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I can see both sides or points of view... but, one of the PITA is that most local manufacturers don't seemingly give a rats arse. But local consumers understand and therefore might respond too... (emphasis on "MIGHT", cause as most of us can likely attest too, PRC seems pretty much a logic free zone) by exercising their right and stop buying from a substandard supplier of a product. If we as educated first world consumers continue to buy despite an awareness of the failures and short comings, and some here are even willing to factor into a buying decision to allow for upgrades, replacement of items... then we're encouraging poor QA to prevail... who's the fool then...

Is it any wonder therefore that most locals preference is for foreign/imported brands and products? Nope. It would also explain why it seems more people bought the BJ600 over the 650NK, foreign JV brand over a domestic one. Yesterday I was talking with a motorcycle dealer up in SH, and mentioned I'm probably going to sell some bikes as I need to make room for a bike on order... yes, foreign brand over 100000, legal etc. (via another dealer bricks and mortar shop).

When he, the dealer I was speaking to, asked, I replied, I'd sell Yamaha Dragstar 1100, Suzuki Burgman 650 and CFMoto 650TR... the dealer said ...simply 'only interested in first two, not interested in ANY Chinese bikes no matter what' even if my 650TR was brand spanking new with 0000km on the dial... and had gold arm pits - not interested.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-25-2013 at 09:29 AM.

10. #200 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Bikerdoc,

Thanks for some common sense !

Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223040 ... LastLast