Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 41422232425263444 ... LastLast
  1. #231 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    no, I haven't done the clutch disc replacement because after I had a oil change the problem was gone. During my last maintenance activity I found another thing:

The X5 is very sensitive for the positioning of the rear wheel. In the past I had just checked the position marking at the swing arm to adjust the rear wheel and chain.
    Then a unusual chain rattling sound came up on my good DID chain.
    At last maintenance time I saw that the chain was not straight between front and rear sprocket. So I used a laser pointer along the chain to get a straight positioning and measured the left and right distance from rim to outer swing arm edge.
    I found the rim before correction was out of center about 8mm to the left.
    Now with the rim and chain adjustment the sound is gone.

One question to the experts here:
    When putting up the bike on a stand so that the rear wheel can turn freely without load and then run the engine in gear 1, the chain starts jumping on the way from rear to front sprocket and want to jump over the small sprocket. Is that normal?
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

2. #232 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    no, I haven't done the clutch disc replacement because after I had a oil change the problem was gone. During my last maintenance activity I found another thing:

The X5 is very sensitive for the positioning of the rear wheel. In the past I had just checked the position marking at the swing arm to adjust the rear wheel and chain.
    Then a unusual chain rattling sound came up on my good DID chain.
    At last maintenance time I saw that the chain was not straight between front and rear sprocket. So I used a laser pointer along the chain to get a straight positioning and measured the left and right distance from rim to outer swing arm edge.
    I found the rim before correction was out of center about 8mm to the left.
    Now with the rim and chain adjustment the sound is gone.

One question to the experts here:
    When putting up the bike on a stand so that the rear wheel can turn freely without load and then run the engine in gear 1, the chain starts jumping on the way from rear to front sprocket and want to jump over the small sprocket. Is that normal?

First: do not EVER assume the markings on the swing-arm above or below the chain adjuster blocks are accurate. Mostly, they are not so if you set the adjusters to say the fourth mark on each side, chances are the wheel will not be aligned correctly, which means the chain line will not be right, with the result that the chain will not be running straight over both sprockets. That in turn will lead to premature wearing of the chain and sprockets, and will have a deleterious effect on the motorcycle's handling.

Second, chain jumping on sprockets: If the chain is adjusted correctly - about 20 mm free-play in the middle of the run between the two sprockets with the rider sitting n the bike, loading the rear suspension - there should be no jumping. If the chain is very slack mid-run, it will lead to 'standing waves' being set up on the chain run between the sprockets when the motorcycle is being ridden.

3. #233 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks for speedy answer Shuben!

Could anyone politely provide me with a link or links to some threads on Chinese motorcycle forums about the X5? I want to do some more reading about its problems.
    Now, i did some google translate and baidu but the results arent great, I guess i didnt search the right frase.
    Thanks in advance!

4. #234 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Thanks for speedy answer Shuben!

Could anyone politely provide me with a link or links to some threads on Chinese motorcycle forums about the X5? I want to do some more reading about its problems.
    Now, i did some google translate and baidu but the results arent great, I guess i didnt search the right frase.
    Thanks in advance!
    To get you started...

Motorfans
    Shineray forum

Shineray news (English)
    ADVrider forum
    Moto8 forum
    XJMoto forum
    Weifengtang forum
    Motorcycle SH forum

5. #235 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewi Alley View Post
    If the chain is adjusted correctly - about 20 mm free-play in the middle of the run between the two sprockets with the rider sitting n the bike, loading the rear suspension - there should be no jumping. If the chain is very slack mid-run, it will lead to 'standing waves' being set up on the chain run between the sprockets when the motorcycle is being ridden.
    +1

I get someone to help me measure/adjust my chain with me on the bike (loaded). Then after it is adjusted, I hop off and check how much slack the unloaded bike has. I use that unloaded slack as a reference for when I need to check/adjust my chain by myself.

Not sure, but I'd guess the X5 has lots of suspension travel, so chain adjustment is probably quite important.

6. #236 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Senior C-Moto Guru

7. #237 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    BJ offroad play with X2 and X5 (Barry and me)
    Winter is coming, we saw the first iced mud path and the temperature dropped significantly at the end of our ride.

still big fun ..... enjoy some pics

X5 X2 offroad 002.jpgX5 X2 offroad 006.jpgX5 X2 offroad 007.jpgX5 X2 offroad 008.jpg
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

8. #238 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Noob
    Great pics ShuBen. A couple of us just collected our X5s, 3 to be exact (bought from Jeff Zhu in Shanghai) and after 130km the engine is leaking oil like crazy on mine. Everyone too have some sort of leak. Was wondering if anyone following this thread have similar experience and knows exactly what to rectify? I am guessing engine bolts not torqued to specification or cheap gaskets. Many thanks.

9. #239 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    the leaking story I know:

Check all the hose connections of the oil cooler system and re tighten them. It is most probably coming from there and pollute your engine. I had this problem too. It seems in the assembly they don't fix it well or these hoses are cheap stuff.
    For it just came up 2 week ago after 9000 km and was solved in a minute. Its only annoying that everything is oily.

Let us know if this could fix you trouble.

... and check all bolts and nuts and buy some screw glue
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

10. #240 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    the leaking story I know:

Check all the hose connections of the oil cooler system and re tighten them. It is most probably coming from there and pollute your engine. I had this problem too. It seems in the assembly they don't fix it well or these hoses are cheap stuff.
    For it just came up 2 week ago after 9000 km and was solved in a minute. Its only annoying that everything is oily.

Let us know if this could fix you trouble.

... and check all bolts and nuts and buy some screw glue
    Thanks for the quick reply! Yup will give it a run through and hopefully, it wouldn't be a problem. We hope to explore Moganshan with the X5 soon!

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 41422232425263444 ... LastLast