Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1121293031323341 ... LastLast
  1. #301 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden boy View Post
    Hey everybody, we just completed the trip from shanghai to germany on a x5 and x2. For the x5 i can say that it performed very well. We had some minor issues but right now there are 27000 km on the clock and its still going. So in my opinion with the x5 you get more than you pay for. Of course its not a BMW but if you do some modifications it really gets you places. Onroad and offroad.
    Congrats on your trip!

Can you please tell us about the mods you've done, plan to do and/or recommend?

2. #302 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    Thanks ShuBen for your excellent posting. I currently have a Galaxy XTR250 and really want to upgrade to a 400cc. A friend and I visited our dealership in Shanghai today to ask about the X5. The dealer owner stated there are currently some quality issues with the X5 and advised us to wait about 2 months for Shineray to make corrections. We will be following your X5 review very, very closely over the next few months. Please keep up the good work and be as detailed as you can.
    I also looking to upgrade my Loncin LX250GY to a 400. If I can only find a secondhand motor in this country. The engine mounting section on the frame of the LX250GY is bolted making the modifications relatively easy. There is no issue with the reliability of the 250 engine but the gear ratio and speed is by design slow on the open road making the bike vulnerable for traffic coming from behind. Most of our open roads are narrow and freeway's traffic are too
    fast, making this bike unsafe from that perspective.

3. #303 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Has anyone heard if Shineray will be releasing any newer versions of this bike that have worked out the earlier kinks? I'm riding a Zongshen RX-3 right now and I know Zongshen has already released at least 1 newer version / model that had some minor differences from the first model. I'm thinking about getting a X5 but maybe its smarter to wait a few more months to see if a newer model will be released. What do you guys think?

4. #304 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    Quote Originally Posted by smr310 View Post
    Has anyone heard if Shineray will be releasing any newer versions of this bike that have worked out the earlier kinks? I'm riding a Zongshen RX-3 right now and I know Zongshen has already released at least 1 newer version / model that had some minor differences from the first model. I'm thinking about getting a X5 but maybe its smarter to wait a few more months to see if a newer model will be released. What do you guys think?
    Im looking to buy something new soon.... would you recommend the RX3? why are you looking at the X5 having the RX3 now? thanks

5. #305 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post
    Im looking to buy something new soon.... would you recommend the RX3? why are you looking at the X5 having the RX3 now? thanks
    Hi man, I just responded to your question in the RX3 threat but I'll post a quick reply here as well. I like the RX3 a lot. Its a very smooth ride and looks damn sexy for a China Bike.

The reasons I'm considering the X5:

400cc vs. 250cc. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO WHEELIE IN SECOND GEAR!!! For anyone with an X5 - can you please confirm the wheelie situation? On the RX3, I can only wheelie (clutch it up) in 1st gear going very slow and its not too much fun...

X5 seems that it would be better off-road. If any X5 owners could confirm this I would very much appreciate it :-)

X5 has a carburettor while RX3 is fuel injected. Carb bike would be nice for fixing yourself, adjusting, and also I plan on riding to Tibet next year which will probably cause problems for a Chinese fuel injected bike.

6. #306 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Congrats on your trip!

Can you please tell us about the mods you've done, plan to do and/or recommend?
    Hi,
    So let me give you a rundown on which modifications I did to the X5 for our 20000 km journey.

Just for the record - I have the first model - still with oilcooling

Luggage rack with two Aluminum side boxes
    D.I.D chain
    Chrashbars
    Handguards + Raisers
    Extra LED lights
    Extra Fuel bottles
    Fuel Filter
    Homemade metal Bashplate
    High touring Windscreen
    Butt friendly seat reshaping
    Shorten the sidestand and weld a bigger footplate on (After a while the bike leaned more and more over under the weight and I wish I wouldnt have shortened it)
    USB charger to charge up our phones which we used as navigation

almost everything can be found on taobao

I think the improvements besides shortening the sidestand made a big difference.
    The main problem is the quality of the materials. The front decorating plastic parts screwdomes are mostly broken and some screws also broke.
    The chain adjustment screw broke in the thread which was a bitch to repair.
    The Kenda tires are good and if I would do such a trip again I would go with Kendas all the way.
    And I woud install a centerstand - and a gripheating for cold days

The rubber chain guard ripped off the screwholes several times and was annoyoing to fix - In the end I just glued it onto the swingarm.
    But I know this issue has been fixed on the newer model.

Another problem was the rear suspension - I put the adjustment rings to the hardest setting but when the bike is fully loaded the rear brake would hit the exhaust when you drive through a pothole and punch a hole in it. I fixed that several time and in the end just let it be and it was fine.
    That can just be fixed with a stronger spring I guess.

But otherwise the X5 had no big issues.
    We checked oil and air every day
    We had to exchange brakepads and the rear bearings, but that is normal on such a trip.

on our website are some before - after pictures

http://monkeykings.jimdo.com/bikes/matthias-bike/

7. #307 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks Golden Boy for all of the info!

Another questions for Beijing X5 riders - Does anyone know the best shop in Beijing that carries the X5? I've heard Qili has them. I live around east 5th ring road and would like to find a shop that actually knows about the bike.

8. #308 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hi man, I just responded to your question in the RX3 threat but I'll post a quick reply here as well. I like the RX3 a lot. Its a very smooth ride and looks damn sexy for a China Bike.

The reasons I'm considering the X5:

400cc vs. 250cc. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO WHEELIE IN SECOND GEAR!!! For anyone with an X5 - can you please confirm the wheelie situation? On the RX3, I can only wheelie (clutch it up) in 1st gear going very slow and its not too much fun...

X5 seems that it would be better off-road. If any X5 owners could confirm this I would very much appreciate it :-)

X5 has a carburettor while RX3 is fuel injected. Carb bike would be nice for fixing yourself, adjusting, and also I plan on riding to Tibet next year which will probably cause problems for a Chinese fuel injected bike.
    EFI generally does not need any tinkering with (remapping) in relation to most elevation changes. Extreme changes might mean that one might need to have the ECU/ECM maps altered where possible (flashed). Carburettor's differ and will need different sized jets if one plans on navigating different altitudes.

Carburettor motorbikes >250cc in PRC don't meet the PRC emission standards which mean such bikes can no longer be legally plated AFAIK. Most motorbikes >250cc are now EFI and those that aren't while still being sold can no longer get plates 100% legally. So it's buyer beAware - like most elements of life in the middle kingdo0m.

As for wheelies (mono's) change the rear sprocket...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-07-2014 at 03:32 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #309 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I had a test ride on the X5 at the CIMA show last month in ChongQing, at the Shineray test circuit. A few different manufacturers had test areas outside the pavilions. The RX3 was on display but no test rides. Aside from riding the Shineray X5 I also rode the new CFMoto 650NK ABS. Very nice and if the 650NK and the new 150NK are anything to go by then the yet to be released revised 650TR and civilian 650G will likely be significant game changers for CFMoto.

Enough about CFMoto. The Shineray X5 ride started out with an obvious aesthetic issue. The RHS pillion foot peg bracket was snapped off, revealing an ugly obvious appendage. The Shineray reps, would have been better off removing the whole bracket assembly or else getting a replacement bolted on. Maybe to the locals most might have been oblivious, but I'm a details orientated individual, so the broken bracket stood out like a pair of dogs b@lls.

The bike itself was okay. There was an obvious issue in the front end, very light, an issue with the way the bike turned. Very light front end, perhaps bearings needed tightening or the steering head nut itself. The bike seemed powerful enough. Slow speed (walking pace) the ride was fine. No speed wobbles as such when up to speed or under acceleration, nor when coming to a stop. Sorry didn't pull any mono's - not my thing.

If it was me and my money, I'd look past the RX3 and X5 and look at the feasibility of either the SRM 500 or SRM 600 both models are lower down page 2.

IMHO, one gets what pays for... the RX3 and X5 are to my mind and scrutiny - no exception.
    Expect issues, failures, frustrations and little resale interest or value.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

10. #310 Re: Shineray / XinYuan X5 review 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Guys!! , I wonder if there is and other forum talking about this bike because I haven't sow new posts around here. Do you know if the 2015 model has some improvements? I'm from Chile and I'm planning to import this motorcycle with EFI. But couldn't got any feedback about how the EFI works from a bike owner.

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1121293031323341 ... LastLast