Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Afghan biker gang spotted on Hainan Island 
    After waiting a long time to find a crooked cop to buy a motorcycle license from I finally brought this Civilian Luddite in with me from Afghanistan on the airlines as luggage. It was shipped to me from Utah via USPS free to the APO. Single speed, 32/18, rigid frame, carbon front forks, 29" wheels, and an XXL 23" frame. Nothing to repair. No fumbling through gears when you're powering up a hill. Its about 1:15 from my condo up the G98 to Riyuewan Bay where the surfing occurs, just far enough to get the blood pumping. Headed up there yesterday but the calm season has now arrived and will be here until next October. The headlight is a nifty little NiteRider Lumina 500, easily detachable in about 2 seconds and blinding on the low setting. It has three settings. Recharges through your USB. Took another ride to a road near here where in May of 1945 a US Navy bomber was shot down while doing a run on a Jap outpost in the town of Guangpo. 13 died in that crash. Nobody knows anything now and that hillside is pretty hard to walk through the jungle. G98 is good for bicycling as the paved shoulder is about 8 feet wide unless you go through a tunnel in which case you have 3 feet and those little reflectors in the ground to steer around while trucks are sounding their air horns right on your ass. I have had condos here for about 8 years but finally moved full-time last Sept. Lingshui county is quite a bit quieter than Sanya was and lots of back roads to explore. Water is warm enough to swim all winter and beaches are super clean.
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Afghan biker gang spotted on Hainan Island 
    Nice bike!

You should think about switching out those Kenda Nevegals for some faster rolling tires.

3. #3 Re: Afghan biker gang spotted on Hainan Island 
    Did that with a previous bike I had before here. Only a little gain on blacktop. With 32/18 gearing, speed is not the priority. Used the bike in some rural area yesterday and the 2.25 knobs are preferable in that terrain.

4. #4 Re: Afghan biker gang spotted on Hainan Island 
    Did that with a previous bike I had before here. Only a little gain on blacktop. With 32/18 gearing, speed is not the priority. Used the bike in some rural area yesterday and the 2.25 knobs are preferable in that terrain.
    Sorry, what I meant was you can have equally knobbly tires that grip better and roll faster than the Kenda Nevegal's you are running. Schwalbe Hans Dampf are an example.
    Reviews.

Just a heads-up next time you need new tires, those Nevegal's are super slow.