Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by sandor View Post
    ... and i do not really want to be its testpilot. Other option is the x2. i have doubts which tyre set to choose as the factory 21/18 knobby tyres are not so good for tarmac. As Milton pointed out 21/18 dual-purpose tyres are availabe like for 19/17 enduros (small x5 has also Kings tire) then it could be a good option...
    The stock tires for x2x (dual-sport tires/chain/sprocket) are off-road knobby tires. They are terrible on tarmac, as many of my x2x owner friends can attest to it. On the other hand, I did have good luck with the dual-purpose ones that I have on now.

2. #22 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Slenderman,

I just put some of my expereinces in the post prposed by euphonius. If you need mor einfo, just let me know.

3. #23 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    A quick update, so you don't think I'm disappeared..

Three weeks ago I went to the Shanghai Vehicle Management Bureau on Hami Lu, all set and expecting to get my chance to do the test within a few days.. since I read somewhere here on the forum that with a bit of luck you can do it even the same day.. so wrong!!

I got an appointment for the test 6 weeks from then!
    That's the soonest possible.. no pleading and asking if there was any possible way to get it done faster helped.
    So three weeks down, three more weeks to wait!

To those of you who haven't been to Hami Lu:
    It's easy to find on 1330 Hami Lu, SH.
    I'm there at 9 am. I find the bldg where pictures are taken and get the application form.. they say I can't do it in SH, because my port of entry says Beijing. I have my pictures taken anyway, since that's in the same room. Then I notice the form just saying C1. Damn, I think.. At bldg 1 second floor they tell me port of entry doesn't matter, since my visa was issued in SH.
    I point out that on my translation are clearly motorcycle and car licence, and that's what I want to get. The lady says something like "no worries, we'll take care of that later!" After asking 15 times if she's sure this won't be a problem I go on to do the medical exams..

After that's done I return to bldg 1 second floor to the same lady, reminding her again that I want motorcycle licence too! She just handwrites a D to the C1 on the form and (hopefully) also types that into her computer.
    Then I get the appointment for 6 weeks later.. all the useless pleading happens.. and I leave the place after about an hour in total.

If I did it again, I'd get the application, medical check and pictures done and THEN spend the waiting time to study for the test. Hope that helps somebody! By now I forgot everything and should probably soon have a look again at those questions.

Three more weeks of waiting for me..

Oh, and by the way: I'm obviously not buying the bike yet, since I'll need the DL to get it registered and don't dare riding it illegally!

4. #24 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    As of yesterday proud owner of a brand new C1D license!

5. #25 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Congratulation!
    Now the purchasing comes i guess ;-)

6. #26 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    As of yesterday proud owner of a brand new C1D license!

Dear Skinnyguy,

Congratulations indeed. Since there's been so much confusion about getting a license since the turn of the year, how about posting details of your licensing experience in the Getting a Chinese Motorcycle License thread?

• Has Shanghai finally updated its electronic exams to include English and other languages?
    • Are they administering a motorcycle-specific exam in English? (For months they were saying these English exams were not ready yet.)
    • Has any aspect of the licensing and testing procedure changed significantly, or is it only the exam that's been updated?
    • Was the process motorcycle-friendly, or did you still have to push hard to ensure that you got the D or E endorsement, rather than just the cage license?
    • Did you convert a foreign drivers license or did you have to start from scratch? If the latter, what was the process for organizing a road test and what was the test like?

Nice to see the circle of legal Shanghai riders growing.

Cheers
    Euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #27 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks guys!

@sandor - Yes, the purchasing already happened! went to Knight Rider last Saturday and got myself a nice X2 Enduro with 沪C plates. Registration 's gonna take about a week and with a bit of luck I should have it by this weekend.
    What's your status? Did you buy the small X5?
    I also had a look at that one, but the X2 just seams to be more the right bike for me.

@Euphonius - I didn't forget about the DL thread.. just been busy. But I posted there now and answered your questions.

8. #28 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Slenderman,
    If you dont mind me asking how much did the 沪C plates cost? Do you know if they are going up in price a lot at the moment? I was looking at getting some maybe in the next 1.5-2 years but Im worried by the time I get to the price they are now they will have inflated out of reach again.

Anyway, congrats on your new ride!

9. #29 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Webba,

The price for 沪C actually went down! I can tell you, that was a pleasant surprise!

When I was at Knight Rider the first time about 2 months ago the price was 25k.
    Now it was 18.5k for 沪C and 125k for 沪A.

How any further development will be.. only some crazy oracle with chicken intestines might be able to tell you!

10. #30 Re: Two new riders in SH soon.. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Slenderman,
    congrat! ride safely!

i am just about te get an x2 as well.

i read before on MCM that the residence permit should have 90 days left when registering a moto.
    Jeff at CFmoto on Wuzhng lu in Minhang states that a passport with 90 days validity left is enough.
    Can anyone confirm this?

the bests Sandor

Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    Thanks guys!

@sandor - Yes, the purchasing already happened! went to Knight Rider last Saturday and got myself a nice X2 Enduro with 沪C plates. Registration 's gonna take about a week and with a bit of luck I should have it by this weekend.
    What's your status? Did you buy the small X5?
    I also had a look at that one, but the X2 just seams to be more the right bike for me.

@Euphonius - I didn't forget about the DL thread.. just been busy. But I posted there now and answered your questions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast