Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

You'll need to establish residency there, which you do with the local police. So you find a friend (someone in a shop?) to work up a document saying you are renting a room from them, and take the paperwork to the police station (派出数) for that district, and have them issue a Temporary Residence Registration for Foreigners for that address.
    I just registered my bike and needed Residence Registration. When I went to police station the needed my landlords details (id number, phone and so on) I didnt have them so the police lady took my friends (translator) info as my landlord.... so if youre lucky you wont need any documents that you are renting anything that you are not.

2. #22 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Sincere thanks to all of you guys for your help and advice. I'm still weeding through the forum trying to find my answers before asking anymore questions. I also need to get my driving license so I'm planning on taking a trip to my wife's hometown tomorrow and Friday to try and find out exactly what I need (If she doesn't veto that. She thinks I'm crazy and doesn't seem to understand the urgency in any of this )... Will update...

3. #23 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    TIC... Everything will drive you to the edge of insanity, but you will feel so special when you finally reach your goal.

You will not get a motorcycle license or motorcycle registration in Guangzhou and will only complicate matters if you get a car license. Go to Jiangmen, make friends with a bike shop (hundreds there), file a temporary residence permit, get license, register bike and be done with it.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Hey man, I don't know if you saw where I posted about my wife calling the DL place in Zhaoqing and being told that, as a foreigner, I cannot get a license issued in Zhaoqing without having a MC DL from the states already. Maybe has something to do with new laws passed this year or maybe just that particular town? Do you know if the same is true in Jiangmen?

Thanks,
    Pope

4. #24 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    I do not know what they will say in Jiangmen, but I can tell you that nobody ever accomplished anything on the phone in China. You have to go have a face to face. Never ASK for anything, TELL them, I am here to get a license and I'm not leaving until you provide documentation showing that what I want to do can't be done.

Good luck
    ChinaV

5. #25 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I do not know what they will say in Jiangmen, but I can tell you that nobody ever accomplished anything on the phone in China. You have to go have a face to face. Never ASK for anything, TELL them, I am here to get a license and I'm not leaving until you provide documentation showing that what I want to do can't be done.

Good luck
    ChinaV
    Thanks again man. That would be the most logical thing to do. It's a bit of a time and logistics issue and an issue with my wife (my translator) really hoping I don't follow through with this plan because she (with good reason) thinks driving a motorcycle in China is absurdly dangerous. Again, thanks...

6. #26 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    I guess while provincialy there are some law differences but I am guessing the basics hold true... If you do not hold a vaild motorcycle certificate in your home country then you must go to a chinese motorcycle driving school to apply, learn and test. Or go back home get the license there and convert when you return to China. Using the Chinese school may rquire many weeks of attendance and a difficult written test... Try finding a driving school to talk to you. After all they are in the business of getting licenses.
    Trick HD XL883 R, Jialing 600B, Chang Jiang 750,CF Moto 650 "G"TR, Sachs 125 Madass, Skyteam Ace 125 cafe racer and a Hong Du 250cc dirtbike

7. #27 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Just posting this here since Taobao comes up in the search...

Be cautious with some sellers on Taobao.com. Came across a scam with a 'real' motorcycle dealer who has been trading on Taobao since 2008, however just opened a new motorcycle shop several months ago (he had a blue diamond Taobao rating too). Negotiated a deal on a (legal) brand new motorcycle for a substantial amount of money (RMB) I'm not talking a 125cc or 250cc bike either. The deal was part of the opening special for the shop, so all brands the shop carried were attracting a discount for a limited time.

Everything progressed well, until trying to organise the payment. Because of the sum involved we couldn't use a Chinese issued credit card because the dealer didn't want to have to pay the transaction fee. I offered to reimburse for this (e.g add to the price). With the price we had to go to the bank, to make some amendments to the Alipay linked bank account. Done. Then when we wanted to put the money into Alipay the dealer directed us to https://me.alipay.com - seemed odd.

Checked the site, looked convincing, but we were suspicious. Made calls to both Taobao and Alipay (wangwang) and sure enough me.alipay is not affliitated with Taobao, and is not the same as Alipay (wangwang). So no guarantees. Taobao service told us not to use it. A check on whois.com though tends to make cross reference with alipay.com so not as clear as one would hope for.

In this case, the dealer had a Alipay account too, but wanted the funds placed into this other me.alipay account. When challenged the dealer just said, he needed the funds into the me.alipay account otherwise he couldn't issue the correct tax invoice needed to get the licence plate.

Seems there is a copy of Alipay called "me.alipay" which looks just like Alipay, but has no affiliation with Taobao that's according to the Taobao, but when we spoke with Alipay.com (wangwang) they acknowledge that me.alipay.com is part of Alipay, but not supported by Taobao. When one signs up for an account via Taobao for Alipay.com, one automatically gets a me.alipay.com account too. Took some digging to find all the interconnected links though.

Whatever, Me.alipay.com is not an escrow type service, meaning funds placed into an me.alipay.com account go directly into a sellers nominated bank account!!! Once that happens you can't get funds back.

After a complaint which both Alipay and Taobao are investigating at the moment, the dealers Taobao shop front have been removed from Taobao, although the dealer is still linked with Taobao. Just cannot see any of his bikes or anything he's selling or trying to sell. We have been advised we will be contacted by Taobao and Alipay at the end of the week long investigation.

You don't have to have completed the purchase on Taobao to make a complaint about a dealer/seller on Taobao.

Just be warned. Be cautious with any seller wanting funds placed into me.alipay.com as this is not alipay.com (called alipay wangwang). The latter is an escrow service meaning funds are placed into a neutral account. That protects both buyer and seller. On the other hand funds placed into a me.alipay.com account go directly from buyer to seller, there is no intermediary. If something goes wrong, there's no recourse for the buyer.

Caveat-emptor

:)
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-21-2013 at 12:58 AM.

8. #28 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    another foreign moron that thinks he is above the law while in PRC.....
    As said before TA Racing when you post repiles with insults . just move on to the next post and do us all favour ??? the word "moron" is getting old hat now .The pope is over 21 and when he gets caught riding a unlicensed bike he will find out what happens he dont need insults from you so please just move on to the next post with a smiile on your face . because most people treat your comment with the contempt they deserve

have a nice day
    Last edited by prince666; 05-20-2013 at 03:09 PM.

9. #29 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    I have a very positive look at Taobao, and the way they are cleaning up their own house.
    Filed a complain after being delivered a 3 year rear motorcycle tire (but sold as 2013).

It was almost shocking to see how often they called us to press ahead, and how aggresively they were taking action against the seller. Not something you see in China very often, if at all.

Interesting to see how they will proceed in this case.

PS. Seems the 'me.alipay' is taken off the web already.

10. #30 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Ok, so here it is... (Hope you guys are enjoying your holiday time off- if you got it....) My head has been in the clouds for the last four days or so. I've lost track of time.

I ordered a bike from a Taobao dealer suggested to me by another member. (PM me and I'll send you the link) I know some of you guys are and have been serious riders the majority of your lives. I rode dirtbikes and quads from the age of about 5 up until I was about 18. Last dirtbike was a 1986 Kawasaki KDX200. This was just casual riding with friends around the woods and the countryside in the American south. I had a 1994 Kawasaki ZX-7 for a short while, but my parents weren't happy about that - not fans of roadbikes - and managed to convince me after just three short months to save my own life and sell the thing, which I did. It's good too, because I was definitely a [U]squid... (More balls than brains or know how:)

Living downtown GZ most of the time, I just wanted something I could go exploring relatively short distances from the place I stay and work a few days a week north of Guangzhou in my spare time. Paid 6000 total including shipping costs and papers to be able to register it, and came with an upgraded carb, inverted forks, and a Shineray 250 engine. My old two-stroke KDX would have eaten this thing for lunch, but I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the quality of this thing for the money, and I'm having the most fun I've had -well - in a while. Man have I missed this stuff! I just kind of put it aside and forgot about it all these years. So I'll shut up and post some pics now.

DSC_7100.jpgDSC_7102.jpgDSC_7101.jpg
    The seller told me it would take two days to assemble the configuration I wanted and then another six days for delivery. I ordered late on a tuesday afternoon and received it Thursday afternoon the following week.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast