Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. #51 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I'd be bloody hesitant making that statement, cause there are plenty of unscrupulous sellers on TB selling nothing but PS adulterated photos of nothingness, for a slice of ones hard earned cash... moral> don't believe anything posted or being sold on TB.

Well, I'm sure glad I found this site. After a few more hours of searching for places to buy a bike in Chengdu, I discovered that the site admin Crazy Carl also lives here in Chengdu and has a website that pointed me directly to Chengdu's LARGE motorcycle market (and in addition; where to get a license, where to buy gear and find a mechanic, etc). So thankfully I won't need to use Taobao after all. Awesome resource for anyone in the 'Du.

I'll be heading down to the Motorcycle Market on Wednesday...and i'll post updates. Thanks again to everyone.

2. #52 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    The taobao bike in action with almost 10,000 km on it. The suspension is way too cheap and hard for this kind of action though. Thinking of swapping it out with X2 suspension.

3. #53 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob ahernandez74's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePope View Post
    Bike has now logged nearly 5000 km. Shineray engine has been solid, but I've had to use loctite on almost all of the nuts and bolts, because stuff just rattles loose and falls off, i.e. I stooped to find my entire rear rack, lights, signals and license plate holder were gone after a stretch of rough road and hard riding. I did change out the plastics and put on some supermoto tires, which I should have done from the start. This thing is made for riding mildly off-road. It's best suited being a supermoto bike and the crappy roads that you have to slog through to get to the good stuff. This bike has been a good initial learning tool for me.

A few low-res photos.
    Attachment 13224Attachment 13225Attachment 13226Attachment 13227
    Not bad. Not bad at all. May I ask where you took the waterside pictures? Looks great :P

4. #54 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Not bad. Not bad at all. May I ask where you took the waterside pictures? Looks great :P
    Thanks. The lakeside photos were taken in Heyuan where there are some really awesome twisties. The beach photos were taken in Huidong, Huizhou; all in Guangdong province...

5. #55 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Another little vid I just uploaded to youtube that I made with my new Drift HD Ghost. The riding wasn't that great. It was six AM and I'd had about three hours of sleep, and, well, let's just say a "few" beers the previous night

6. #56 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Alas, my trusty piece of junk is gone. I abandoned it in an alley after evading a police roadblock in Guangzhou. I can't resist riding it into the city so I decided maybe it was to just leave it. Here's some goofy shenanigans of me and my last recorded ride on YouTube.

7. #57 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Shit... so you just drive!

And here I am sitting worrying about plates for the last 4 months while friends ask me when the heck I'm getting a new bike.

New year is soon here...

Were I you I probably would not have abandoned it... One can usually talk one's way out of trouble here as long as you're not literally committing murder (or, while being video taped, driving your scooter with a pillion rider into 50 year old women while drunk and then screaming swear words at them in Chinese).

Traffic in your video does not look too bad. While I'm in a taxi here all I see is idiots everywhere. Maybe it's because I'm not driving though...

8. #58 Re: Anyone ever bought a bike from Taobao? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Shit... so you just drive!

And here I am sitting worrying about plates for the last 4 months while friends ask me when the heck I'm getting a new bike.

New year is soon here...

Were I you I probably would not have abandoned it... One can usually talk one's way out of trouble here as long as you're not literally committing murder (or, while being video taped, driving your scooter with a pillion rider into 50 year old women while drunk and then screaming swear words at them in Chinese).

Traffic in your video does not look too bad. While I'm in a taxi here all I see is idiots everywhere. Maybe it's because I'm not driving though...
    Well, I wouldn't exactly recommend it. I just kind of freaked out after playing chicken with a cop and a roadblock. I didn't abandon it 100%. I went back some hours later and it was gone. I am still in denial about it, but I'd secretly been wishing it would get stolen so I could move on from it after compiling weekly replacement parts lists on taobao throughout the life of the bike (and having the feeling in my heart that I was riding a piece of shit). That part of town is almost suburban, although technically downtown in Haizhu. Also, I usually didn't usually drive it around town in the middle of the day like that. I did that because I just got an urge to use my camera and do it. Oh, and if you watched the video, the Boyz II Men song is kind of a cheesy joke. I just though it fit. Not my everyday jams (not that there's anything wrong with that )

Approximately two month wait on an X2, I was told today. Needless to say, I'm freaking out right now with no toy to play with except my scooter, which is only used for short trips to the store (and occasional wheelies off speed bumps). What to do next is anyone's guess.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456