Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Motorcycle registration on the girlfriend(/boyfriend) 
    I am now really close to get my X2X. Regearding registring and plating the bike, is there any disadvantage to do this on the name of the local girlfriend? She has no drivers license, I have one and will ride the bike.

I have all documents and would be ready to register the bike on my self.
    But many people we asked said people with an ID card from other provinces are not allowed to register a bilke here, only with local ID card. Thereforere it *might* not be possible for a foreigner (rare here). I try to get some official information but it is difficult.

Is there some general experience with this? I read in an older threat that if you have a license it is better to register on you, if you do not have one better on the grilfriend without further explanation. I thought this might be interesting for others too.

For me the question is now mainly about the fapiao. Does it matter for the registration/insurance which name is inside or can we make both our names?

What I want to avoid is to get everything ready, have the fapiao issued with my name, an then when at the vehicle registration they do not alow me to register it. And I can also not register it on the girlfriend any more because the fapiao does not have her name... would be classic

2. #2 Re: Motorcycle registration on the girlfriend(/boyfriend) 
    a) as i remember from driving license test: the person who registers a vehicle must have residence in the district / city where the registration should take place.
    b) A person can register a vehicle even has no DL for this vehicle type.
    c) The Fapiao shows the ownership. That means a vehicle with papers (incl. Fapiao) issued in your name can be only registered under your name.
    d) if you want to register it under your girlfriends name be aware that she must show up for any legal issue in accident case or even to renew the insurance (just had this case last days. For renew the insurance i have to have my passport)
    e) for "d" reason make sure your girlfriend stays with you :-)
    f) let read someone the official authority webpages in Chinese to get the hidden traps of registration actions
    g) think positive ..... everything has a solution :-)
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #3 Re: Motorcycle registration on the girlfriend(/boyfriend) 
    Banned
    for private registration temporary residence (not in a hotel or service apartment) works most of the time for Chinese citizen but the right name match on the official receipt (fapiao) is very important for initial registration and licensing whatever the friendly yokel at the shop tells his customers.....

4. #4 Re: Motorcycle registration on the girlfriend(/boyfriend) 
    Great, thanks for the info.

I am also assuming with my residence proof from the police here it should be fine.

What I learned was at least here the fapiao must have been issued in this district. I can not order myself from the factory with a Chonquing fapiao and register it here.

I think with my permanent residence, fapiao and registration all in the same district I should be as prepared as I can be.

I was anyway intending to keep the girfriend out of it, but was just wondering.

Will make sure the right name is in the fapiao. The foreigner one as shown in the passport or the chinese one as shown in the drivers license?

5. #5 Re: Motorcycle registration on the girlfriend(/boyfriend) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeater View Post
    Great, thanks for the info.

I am also assuming with my residence proof from the police here it should be fine.

What I learned was at least here the fapiao must have been issued in this district. I can not order myself from the factory with a Chonquing fapiao and register it here.

I think with my permanent residence, fapiao and registration all in the same district I should be as prepared as I can be.

I was anyway intending to keep the girfriend out of it, but was just wondering.

Will make sure the right name is in the fapiao. The foreigner one as shown in the passport or the chinese one as shown in the drivers license?
    Your jurisdiction may be different, but this was not true here in Shanghai. I bought my JH600 directly from the factory in Chongqing, had them issue the fapiao in my Chinese name (they were unable to enter a non-Chinese name), and then registered the bike in Shanghai using my Chinese name, which also appears on my car/motorcycle driving license but does NOT appear on my passport. Since my foreign passport is my primary legal document, I had to come up with something that linked my Chinese name with my passport name, thus proving that the two names represented the same person (me). A work permit usually does this. In my case I used something called a Shanghai Residence Card, as you can see in my Getting Legal thread.

The key to getting the JH600 registered in Shanghai was ensuring that it was on a municipal list of approved motorcycles. Before I registered it was not on this list, and mine was the first. This was not too much trouble, but did require extra patience and some extra steps on the part of the Vehicle Management Bureau. Not all bikes can get on this list; the JH600B sidecar is not on the list, and several buyers of that model have been rebuffed in efforts to get Shanghai to add it to the list. There seems to be a particular bias against sidecars.

You should check again with the 车管所 and see if the specific bike that you are proposing to purchase is registrable in your jurisdiction. If it is, it should not matter that the fapiao is issued by a factory in Chongqing, but you need to check this out.

good luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)