Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    It was an amazing winter of motor biking on Hainan Island . We biked well over half the island with our focus on the southern half . This was an east / west line from Wanning Hainan west to Dong Fang .
    This is a most rugged and beautiful area with huge rainforests , excellent wide roads and huge expansive beaches with nobody on them .
    Yes - we had many long wonderful rides on the beaches at low tides ! This place is a 'paradise !
    Here are some of the pictures and we will return to Hainan this December 2013 . All are welcome to join and we can help with the arrangements / logistics.
    Will be motor biking Shanghia after April 15th.
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Great stuff. Many thanks for posting! I think no one would complain if you post more pix....
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    Please open up a biker hotel on one of these beach areas with bikes to rent and play ground for kids ... and something to spent time for our biker ladies.
    When & Where can I call for reservation?
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    Please open up a biker hotel on one of these beach areas with bikes to rent and play ground for kids ... and something to spent time for our biker ladies.
    When & Where can I call for reservation?
    Great idea!

Does Haikou have train service from the mainland? If so, China snowbirds could consider shipping their own bikes down then riding the last stretch from Haikou to your little piece of paradise. Or have them trucked in. Whatever. Having a friendly base with nice activities for families, good food and cold beer for "apres riding" unwinding, now that really would be paradise!

When & Where can I call for reservations?
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #5 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Having a friendly base with nice activities for families, good food and cold beer for "apres riding" unwinding, now that really would be paradise!
    Dadonghai, Yalong Bay, Serenity Coast, Haitang Bay, Shimei Bay, Longmu Bay just to name a few....... and beaches are just a short ride away.

FYI: ferries go from Hai'An (Guangdong) to Haikou (Hainan), more on this later on MCM.....

6. #6 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Dadonghai, Yalong Bay, Serenity Coast, Haitang Bay, Shimei Bay, Longmu Bay just to name a few....... and beaches are just a short ride away.

FYI: ferries go from Hai'An (Guangdong) to Haikou (Hainan), more on this later on MCM.....
    Yes, I know there are lots of places to stay on Hainan (this was not the case last time I visited in 1992!), but I'm hoping for motorcycle-specific lodge somewhere! With bikes for rent, a workshop for group wrenching, a really excellent selection of craft brews and fine wines......

The word paradise still has meaning in my mind!

Hey, TB -- didn't you stay in "paradise" last night? Yes, the place with the pink lady shavers, deluxe noodles, condoms of all description and other "luxury" amenities? Wouldn't it be great if someone redefined "paradise" to include something other than "everything you need to cheat on your spouse"?

Motorcycles! Great food! Delicious libations! Empty beaches! Motorcycles! (I'm sure most of us can procure our own shavers and condoms...)

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #7 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    Banned
    I'm hoping for motorcycle-specific lodge somewhere! With bikes for rent, a workshop for group wrenching, a really excellent selection of craft brews and fine wines......

Well, the secure parking / garage and excellent food & beverage (priority on premium imported EU beers) outside of the international Sanya hotels almost happen last year but the deal fell though last minute, would have been a blast that particular venue as the right guy was lined up to run and operate the joint (FYI: he is not on MCM).
    Ain't easy to set up a motorbike rental company in the motherland, quite a few tried but insurance and other issues holding people back or made them stop the progress in the final stages (four of them are MCM members or were active members..).
    Had a conversation with one of the hotel owners out in Moganshan (not MK) and they even stopped renting or borrowing bicycles to most house guest as one of the North American hotel guests refused to wear a helmet and fell hard last year autumn.... rest goes like threads of court, lawyer, $$$$'s, etc... etc.... because the hotel owner was accused to have not forced him enough to wear a safety helmet.... you get the picture.

On the other hand, would you rent out motorbikes or motorised vehicles in general to anybody?
    Usually rental vehicles get abused like there is no tomorrow as the renters do not own the vehicles and do not care much about any damage.....

didn't you stay in "paradise" last night?
    Yes, in fact I did after all the other rather dodgy overnight stays, my current Shanghai - Sanya ride report isn't live reporting, I am ahead of my posts - only writing and posting when time permits....

8. #8 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Ain't easy to set up a motorbike rental company in the motherland, quite a few tried but insurance and other issues holding people back or made them stop the progress in the final stages ... court, lawyer, $$$$'s, etc... etc....

Usually rental vehicles get abused like there is no tomorrow as the renters do not own the vehicles and do not care much about any damage.....
    You hit the nail on the head. It appears that the "safest" legal way (through a transfer of liability & a minimizing of fiduciary responsibilities) is a purchase/buy-back option, both for "rentals" and "tours", but the administration is a nightmare, and the ROI is peanuts. And because TIC, who knows how the "legal system" would work, so there is still a significant financial risk. A WFOE is still regarded as being stuffed with cash.

@Mega in Shanghai ... great pics, thanks! It is wonderful that people are enjoying/sharing Hainan.

9. #9 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Great to see the 'thoughts on Hainan . I and Jane will get some thoughts about possibilities and feasibilty of an 'informal retreat for 'fellow MCMs .

We are packing to put things in storage and will be back this December . Have a final motor bike tour late this week .

This group of pics are from southeast Hainan with:

* view of South China Sea from Inland Sea Overlook

DSC_0003.jpg

* one { 1 } meter + long fish on ice from Gang Bei inlet

DSC_0012.jpg

* fresh water outlet from the mountains behind us

DSC_0093.jpg

* a VERY common free range cattle crossing

DSC_0167.jpg

* Wu Chang Bay fishing port.

Overlook On Wu Chang Harbor.jpg

To say the 'least - it has been a facininating winter on Hainan ..and am 'now praying for lower { AQI } Shanghai 'smog reports... .............

..............More coming ...Cheers ....

10. #10 Re: Winter Motor Biking Hainan Island 'PRC 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hope all had a fabulous New Years Eve / day to start this 'year of the horse !

We just arrived on Hainan Island to do 3 months of motor biking , adventure and beaches .

Have our 150 CC Honda scooter and will continue to update all with photos and 2014 Hainan Island motor biking .

Any one interested in joining this winter - we can help . Contact us @ MCM or 'text message 138.1663.6060 . ...Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast