Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Awesome custom bike for sale!!! 
    The bike was custom made in 2011, based on a “Chang Jiang” frame. The Chinese engine has been replaced with a powerful 750 cc BMW Boxer engine. All other parts are custom made. The paint is very individual with fine lines on the tank. The bike is in good conditions since it has been always parked in a basement (stable temperature) and comes with an expired but original “A-Jing” plate and relevant documents. I never had any problems with the police riding it downtown (within the 2nd ring road). This is a fine piece of art and a daily eye catcher. I’m moving to another country for business and can’t take the bike with me, unfortunately. If you like to be different, feel free to contact me for price and more pictures: norman.dentel@t-online.de.
    To avoid time consuming “fun rides”, test rides will only be granted if a deposit and photo ID are submitted as a guarantee. Viewing possible at any time. No time wasters please. Shipping enquiries upon request.
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Awesome custom bike for sale!!! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Beautiful custom indeed!

What happened to the registration? Did you just neglect to renew it on time or did the Vehicle Management Bureau refuse to renew it based on the modifications? In other words, is it possible to get it legal again?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Awesome custom bike for sale!!! 
    Hi there,

it is not possible to get it completely legal again because of several reasons. The bike was a Sidecar back in the days (80's), meaning, the registration matches the frame number and that's it. It is somehow "semi legal". Let me quickly explain why; all parts are custom made and/or from Harley Davidson. The parts are vintage, so the bike can be registered in severel countries without problems and is not subject to current emission standards :-) Furthermore all bikes in China above ten years must be scraped (by law). However, apparently there is a rule, that previous legally registered bikes with expired plates have to renew their registration; they can't be confiscated but can only be reminded to renew the registration (even the bike is older than ten years). This is the" gap" I'm using. I live downtown Beijing, and everytime I want to buy gas for example, I have to show them the (expired) registration to get gasoline here, it always works, I never faced any problem. The same is with the police, because the rules are quite "flexible" when it comes to bikes like this. This gives me more space within the legal law without breaking it..

4. #4 Re: Awesome custom bike for sale!!! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Nice colors & lots of shiny bits & pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Normski View Post
    It is somehow "semi legal".
    That is true, if it stays off the road (i.e., a collector).

... the bike can be registered in severel countries without problems
    I can only speak for Canada, where the bike must be "all original" to be classified as a vintage bike (for purposes of importation and registration).

However, apparently there is a rule, that previous legally registered bikes with expired plates have to renew their registration; they can't be confiscated but can only be reminded to renew the registration (even the bike is older than ten years). This is the" gap" I'm using.
    Actually, the "rule" is that an expired plate cannot be driven on the road, and could be confiscated (if you are stopped by the wrong policeman at the wrong time). When my A-plated Chang expired in 2008 (along with all the others), I spent a lot of time researching this rule back then (like most, it was a 97 registration). My ONLY option was to scrap the bike, and get the permit to place the A plate on a brand new sidecar. And the A plate could not be moved from a 3-wheel to a 2-wheel bike.

I live downtown Beijing, and everytime I want to buy gas for example, I have to show them the (expired) registration to get gasoline here, it always works, I never faced any problem. The same is with the police, because the rules are quite "flexible" when it comes to bikes like this. This gives me more space within the legal law without breaking it..
    The gas stations are angry that they have been put into an "enforcement" role, and will offer gas if they believe they can subsequently say to the police "well, we saw a blue book."

The rules aren't "flexible", but the police can exercise "discretion" (e.g., it is too much of a pain the a$$ to deal with a foreigner).

Anyways, good luck with the sale ... shiny & pretty.

5. #5 Re: Awesome custom bike for sale!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Nice colors & lots of shiny bits & pieces!

That is true, if it stays off the road (i.e., a collector).

I can only speak for Canada, where the bike must be "all original" to be classified as a vintage bike (for purposes of importation and registration).

Actually, the "rule" is that an expired plate cannot be driven on the road, and could be confiscated (if you are stopped by the wrong policeman at the wrong time). When my A-plated Chang expired in 2008 (along with all the others), I spent a lot of time researching this rule back then (like most, it was a 97 registration). My ONLY option was to scrap the bike, and get the permit to place the A plate on a brand new sidecar. And the A plate could not be moved from a 3-wheel to a 2-wheel bike.

The gas stations are angry that they have been put into an "enforcement" role, and will offer gas if they believe they can subsequently say to the police "well, we saw a blue book."

The rules aren't "flexible", but the police can exercise "discretion" (e.g., it is too much of a pain the a$$ to deal with a foreigner).

Anyways, good luck with the sale ... shiny & pretty.
    Thanks for your information, I appreciate that. This will answer at least all upcoming legal questions. Thanks as well for the positive comments. All the best, Normski

6. #6 Re: Awesome custom bike for sale!!! 
    I know this bike. It is running fast and stable. Who ever buy's it, makes a great deal. German mind and technical supervising.