Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Gears

1. #1 Gears 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi there i have a apache 125 and there is a problem with the gears. It goes from neutral to 1st fine but then its a pain to get it to go to 2nd. But once its in second its fine through all the gears above. What do you think the problem could be.
    Thanks very much

2. #2 Re: Gears 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Weak ankle?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Gears 
    Sounds like a problem with shifting claw / shifting axle/ shifting fork. Get a manual, deassemble, measure the parts to find the wear out problem and replace it. If you have no deeper mechanical skill keep your fingers away and let someone do with knowledge AND correct tools set. The guys handling it in front of the shop on the floor are the wrong ones.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: Gears 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    The guys handling it in front of the shop on the floor are the wrong ones.
    Well said ;) but try to find a different ones in China... Its not so hard to find good car mechanic but things dont look so bright with motorcycles

5. #5 Re: Gears 
    C-Moto Regular
    Lol funny guy weak ankles =) i have a motorcycle place near me i could get them to have a look. Do you know what this roughly costs?
    Thanks for all replies much appreciated.

6. #6 Re: Gears 
    C-Moto Guru
    To get to the gears you have to remove the engine and completely disassemble it. A mech would charge you the earth for it, it would be cheaper to buy a second hand engine from eBay. I sometimes have this problem but with me I think it's down to trying to change gears too fast and the clutch not fully disengaging. If you have too much free play in your clutch lever the clutch won't fully disengage, also having low or worn out oil will have shifts harder so look in to those possibilities first. You could also adjust your gear shift lever (if it is adjustable on your bike) so that it is a little bit lower which will make shifts easier. When you change gear put pressure on the lever first and then pull the clutch in + release throttle; it may help a bit.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

7. #7 Re: Gears 
    I don't believe in worn out clutch because then the problem must happen in all gear.
    You can check two more things:
    a) how about shifting from neutral to 2nd directly? Is that easy possible?
    b) switch to 1st gear & start rolling, then pull clutch switch neutral, release clutch, then pull clutch again, switch to 2nd

I will ask a German friend M9otorcycle mechanic master) for this problem ... let's hear his opinion
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

8. #8 Re: Gears 
    Got a feedback from Germany regarding the shifting problem.
    My friend said it is the shifting fork and most probably the shift gate. Especially when it does not happen in all gears.
    From a new bike he says, the problem might disappear after a certain time. That is a well known problem of the earlier produced Japanese bikes. A slight chance to improve might be to change another oil, but he sees not much hope.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

9. #9 Re: Gears 
    C-Moto Regular
    OK thanks for all your help, hopefully it ain't a new engine haven't got the money the bike has cost to much already. Will try oil and hopefully it might work.
    Thanks for all replies.
    Much appreciated.

10. #10 Re: Gears 
    C-Moto Regular
    hi there i finally had a chance to take bike out and i found out i have to git very high revs before it decides to change. Thanks to everyone that helped it was appreciated.