Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hello from Texas 
    C-Moto Noob
    My name is Jordan, from Austin, capital of Texas, USA.

I took a long motorcycle trip on my first bike, a Kawasaki 250. I have been working towards a round-the-world motorcycle trip ever since. Hopefully China will be my starting point. No matter how much I love Latin America, I really cannot wait for the east. I've done plenty of research on my China plan, but I will have some questions for this group as well.

Other motorcycle interests:
    Daily rider, 1979 Kawasaki Z400

Fun bike, 1974 Yamaha DT250 smoker!

For when I feel like speeding: $5usd 50cc China scoot

2. #2 Re: Hello from Texas 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Jordan. Looks like you may have to invest anther $5 worth of duct tape to get the scoot back to "like new" condition. Seems it is molting its old skin. You've a tough decision to make when the repair bill = original purchase price!

Lots of info throughout this website about traveling around China, but getting a bike into China is frustrating (and expensive, if even possible). One way around that is to arrive in China, ride a bike you acquired here, and sell it when you have had enough, and then move onto the next country (e.g., Japan) and get your "real" RTW bike.

The ever present BIG issue with riding in China is the Chinese driving license - the International Driving Permit is not recognized.

Lots of China-expertise on this site, so feel free to ask.

Good luck!

3. #3 Re: Hello from Texas 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Welcome Jordan. Looks like you may have to invest anther $5 worth of duct tape to get the scoot back to "like new" condition. Seems it is molting its old skin. You've a tough decision to make when the repair bill = original purchase price!

Lots of info throughout this website about traveling around China, but getting a bike into China is frustrating (and expensive, if even possible). One way around that is to arrive in China, ride a bike you acquired here, and sell it when you have had enough, and then move onto the next country (e.g., Japan) and get your "real" RTW bike.

The ever present BIG issue with riding in China is the Chinese driving license - the International Driving Permit is not recognized.

Lots of China-expertise on this site, so feel free to ask.

Good luck!
    Yes, China has been a huge hurdle for planning my RTW, since I refuse to pay the insane tour fees to ride a motorcycle into China or pay incredible amounts of money to ship around trouble countries. It is for that reason that I have decided to start in China.

As for getting a "real" RTW bike, my plan has always been to use a common 125-200cc bike. Shouldn't be a problem finding one in China!