Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    C-Moto Noob
    :oops:Hi all,

I'll ask my first question here as its possible I'm in the wrong place! I purchased my almost mint FYM FY250 yesterday, its a 2006 model and has done 1800 miles from new!! It's been sitting in some old guys garage for 7 years under a cover and really is lovely..
    I've done a little reaseach and on the images and parts I've seen my FYM looks identical to the jinlun, is this the case?
    I rode it 120 miles to get it home yesterday and it ran faultlessly, but my reaseach last night on the net indicated they're total crap and to avoid at all costs which did worry me a little?
    I'm used to things breaking, I had a 1969 vw camper for years that I've just sold so that doesn't scare me lol.
    Any pointers on what to look for/keep an eye on?
    Anyway pictures paint 1000 words so here it is.

2. #2 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    Welcome, as with any bike be it Japanese, America, European or Chinese I would suggest getting some ACF-50 to protect parts from corrosion its a nice coat, even know riding today I still noticed a stupid amount of Grit salt on the road waiting to prey on the next passing motorbike.

Kennon

3. #3 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    Those chinese twin are cloned from Honda CA250, not the CMX250

4. #4 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    Differ but not too different, the CA is configured with dual carburetors and the CMX only has a single carburetor. They look different but they share parts, its difficult to get any clear information on the differences other then the CA may have been a version of the engine sold in Asian markets only?

I am not sure if they ever offered CA version in the USA, the CA version can be found in Australia. They were both sold as Rebels that had a few differences.

5. #5 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    Exactly right MJH. The covers on the head of the engine and the front drum are the main differences between the two bikes. I mean they are both 234cc air-cooled twins, highly unlikely they are significantly different is it?

6. #6 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    CA's engine code = MC06E
    CMX's engine code = MC13E

7. #7 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    The Honda Nighthawk was the CB250, but there were also CA, CM and CMX versions of the 234cc twins offered as Honda Rebels.

Again I do not believe Honda ever offered the CA250 outside of Asian markets.

There are different versions of the 234cc engine, the side case covers are markedly different between the CMX250 and CA250

The CMX is still in production, I do not believe Honda still makes the CA250 version, that may be because the CMX250 has a lower production cost, as it only has a single carburetor, it also looks more compact, it may actually weigh less?

I am not sure but the USA may be the last existing market for the CMX250?

The Chinese manufacturers make droves of the CA250 versions, I would say the one you have is probably one of the better versions, but that is just based on what I read online.

I think if I had one I would be considering cleaning out the oil screen? You have to take off the right side cover to get to it and that means you need a gasket? You could reuse the old one? The bike is not worn in yet, it looks to be in very good condition.

Yours may use the same gaskets as the CMX or not? I would suggest making a template and then making your own from the one you have as getting parts for that specific bike could be a bit challenging in the UK.

I am fairly certain that there is a screened internal chamber under the right side cover that should be cleaned out periodically.

8. #8 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    The CA250 MC06E has a tachometers driven off the oil pump and also a gear position indicator. These are all missing on a CMX250 that only has a speedometer.

9. #9 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    There are manuals for those but not for cheap, they are offered in Japan for prices that are astronomical.
    http://japan.webike.net/HONDA/REBEL/155/m/p.b=300/

The Chinese do not in good practice use numeration and or indexing, they use memorization and visual identification.
    That makes finding parts challenging.

10. #10 Re: Hi all... FyM FY250 any other owners here? 
    C-Moto Noob
    This is all really useful stuff guys thank you. At the moment it seems to be running well so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm an aircooled enthusiast that recently upgraded and rebuilt my aircooled engine in my 69 vw t2 campervan, that doesn't mean I know anything about bikes though because I really don't! I can ride them, to be fair not all that well at the moment either lol. That's why I bought this little 250 to get my confidence back.
    I've ordered the anti corrosion spray and under sealed the very bottom bits of the bike. I've adjusted the gear lever as that was set way to high for my liking, I've also done a small repair to a piece of side faring. The rest of it looks good so far, no perished rubbers or anything so I'm leaving it be, I have noticed some small parts of the chrome starting to turn. The research I've done suggests that's just how these bikes are, crap chrome! I've though about having it stripped and powdercoated black, with the exception of the zoorst obviously. Dunno I'll see how it holds out.
    The closest I've found matching it that seems a popular Chinese 250 in the UK is the jinlun Texan 250, there are some subtle differences but on the whole the same.
    The fuel gauge is shot but it seems most are, I'll likely covered it with something for the short term.
    So far I've no complaints but its early days. Thanks for the input guys, I'm a real geek and enjoy knowing the finer details (saddo)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast