Hi!

I've been doing reading and searching on this forum and other sites and it seems like most of the information here is geared towards people that live in China. I was hoping to come to China (on April 11th, 2013 I am flying to Kunming), buy/rent a bike and ride around Yunnan for 2 months with my girlfriend. However it seems like to get a motorcycle license I need to be a resident of China and I won't be allowed to get the license with a tourist visa. Also, to register plates I need an address in China which I currently don't have.

Some thoughts:
- When I call places like ridechina.com and ask them if I can rent a motorcycle for 6 weeks they tell me it's no problem even without a motorcycle license. Why is it easier to arrange through a company like this rather than just buy a bike (maybe secondhand) and do it all myself? I don't really understand how this is possible.
- My girlfriend is with me and is a Chinese citizen. Can this help me?
- Is renting a motorcycle easier?
- Maybe Kunming isn't the best city for buying/registering/getting my license. Somebody here said that Lijiang is an easy and cheap place to register.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!