Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello all,
    I'm in China for 6 months and would like to drive around on a small motorbike/with sidecar/tuktuk(or how do you call them in china?)
    the driving license: I contacted my embassy and seems like Belgium has an agreement with China concerning 'mutual recognition of driving licenses' (google translate of the dutch paper: http://translate.google.com.hk/trans...49%26LANG%3Dnl )
    Guess I still need a Chinese one but dont need to take the tests like the Belgian embassy confirmed. Amy idea where to get the Chinese one? traffic police department?

For the motorbike/with sidecar/tuktuk I think it's best to buy a secondhand concerning the license plates and registration.

Any thoughts or tips?
    tx!

2. #2 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi,

You will need to do the computer test, in accordance with what licence groups are on your Belgium licence.

You will be presented with 100 random questions by the computer test center.

You must get 90 or more for the pass.

There is no need for you to do a phsical/practcal exam, if you hold a Belgium car, and you want a Chinese car, or Belguim bike, and want a Chinese bike

Unless for example, you only hace Belgium car licence, and you want Chinese bike licence, then you need to do the full Montey bike test.

Or vice versa for the Belgium bike licence, and you want a Chinese car licence.

Good luck.

Gra

3. #3 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    Banned
    There was a diplomatic incident in the late 90's in Shanghai with a Belgium motorcyclist (Honda 750 Africa - Twin imported via the Belgian consulate on foreign service registration) and for many years Belgium had a very special agreement with China, so having a Belgian driving license might still excuse you from taking the test, but you will still need to fill out some paperwork in person, and most probably they need you to complete the health exam. Worth checking with your Belgium consulate / embassy.

Great info about motor biking via the forums search function....

4. #4 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The Belgian embassy told me : "China indeed does not recognize the international driver's license.
    There is a bilateral agreement between China and Belgium for licenses. Belgians must therefore not do the driver's license test to obtain a Chinese License. "
    I mailed them for more specific info concerning the paperwork..I'll update here when they answer me.

Anybody an idea of it would be possible to buy a 'auto rickshaw' secondhand and what the price would be? you need a car or moto license for it?
    tx again

5. #5 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    Those trike are "slow as hell" because it's interned for moving goods in rural area.
    Most chinese upgraded to more reliable mini van / truck (like those Suzi Carry).

6. #6 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by bazz View Post
    Anybody an idea of it would be possible to buy a 'auto rickshaw' secondhand and what the price would be? you need a car or moto license for it?
    tx again
    You mean one of these? Now that would be funny. PLEASE POST PICTURES! And good question about the licensing; I'm guessing you'd need a C1D, which covers passenger cars as well as two- and three-wheeled motorcycles.

What city are you in? With a visa of only 6 months' duration, you may have problems getting a drivers license, as the rules apparently require you to have 6 months of validity remaining on your visa to qualify for a license. Or is it 3 months?

Anyway, wherever you are, the real information that will affect your experience will not come form your embassy or consulate, but from the local Vehicle Management Bureau 车管所 and police 公安派出所. What you hear from the local authorities may match what the dips are telling you. But be prepared for it not matching.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    Those three wheelers are not safe. The front wheel has much less grip than the rear and the understeer very easyily on corners. A friend of ours crashed one with a few people in the back, let's just say we were very lucky. I you could put a car tire or sidecar tire on the front for more grip, but it would be even slower. Plus there is a special category for those that Belgium doesn't have so you'd be risking riding 'out of class'.

8. #8 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I want one of these.

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

What city are you in? With a visa of only 6 months' duration, you may have problems getting a drivers license, as the rules apparently require you to have 6 months of validity remaining on your visa to qualify for a license. Or is it 3 months?
    3 months

Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Anyway, wherever you are, the real information that will affect your experience will not come form your embassy or consulate, but from the local Vehicle Management Bureau 车管所 and police 公安派出所. What you hear from the local authorities may match what the dips are telling you. But be prepared for it not matching.

cheers
    Don't pay no attention to what your's or any other foreign embassy tells you about getting a Chinese driving(car or bike) licence.
    The only thing that works or matters in that case is what local Vehicle Management Bureau tells you.

Gra

10. #10 Re: driving license and buying motorbike..again 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I like http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/597...e_Wheeler.html. Shame it is electric and very slow.
    But before choosing vehicles ..first the license.
    The embassy didnt have any useful information.
    Tommorow i'm in wuyuan and I'll try out the police traffic station. I dont think there is a local Vehicle Management Bureau in Wuyuan. If this doesnt work out I'll try again in a bigger city.
    Tx !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast