Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Riding in Portugal, a "big" small coutry... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ok fellows, this is the report of one of my "lone wolf" trips, this time was to "serra de Montemuro", is in the south side of the douro river, its a beutiful place, with breatheless landscapes and trails, here some pics.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid103.photobucket.co m%2Falbums%2Fm155%2Fvolksg%2FMauscaminhos.mp4">
    Last edited by Faria; 02-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.

2. #2 Re: Montemuro mountain.... 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Beautiful indeed! Having this kind of countryside anywhere near your home is a great blessing! Looks like some very good fly-fishing could be done in those streams. I'm also marveling at the absence of people. Looks nothing like China!

Thanks for posting! Feel free to post about all of your rides!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Montemuro mountain.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Beautiful indeed! Having this kind of countryside anywhere near your home is a great blessing! Looks like some very good fly-fishing could be done in those streams. I'm also marveling at the absence of people. Looks nothing like China!

Thanks for posting! Feel free to post about all of your rides!

cheers
    Thanks, yes portugal is a little big country, with many different types of lanscape, i have many more trip reports to post, cheers.

4. #4 Re: Montemuro mountain.... 
    A very good report and excellent pictures. Was also a great reminder of how there are awesome places in Europe to explore.

Happy riding.

5. #5 Re: Montemuro mountain.... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well folks, another trip, this time to Serra da Cabreira, its located in the baixo Minho region at south of the National Park of Gerês, it was a two days trip, with lots of off road and some magnificent landscapes, hope you enjoy it, cheers...

The base camp...

The stove...

The menu...

After the lunch its time to take some of the luggage and hide it in the bush, and lets explore the montain, and the trails...

The highest point of the montain...

back to the base camp to spend the night...

monting the tent...

enjoing the sun escaping into the montain...

some coffe to warm up...

breakfast...some coffe and cookies...

its time to leave....

this was the entrance to my base camp...

Loaded and ready to go...

take a look to the GPS...

and thats all...hope you like it...

6. #6 Re: Riding in Portugal, a "big" small coutry... 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Beautiful scenery and a great campsite. Thanks for sharing these.

I echo Euphonius' comment about "where are the people?" I've been in China too long, I guess.

My guess is the following picture was taken just before you started your cold bike (gloves on exhaust?)

Also, you must be a magician? How can you balance a helmet on the tank like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Faria View Post
    Lucky guy!

7. #7 Re: Riding in Portugal, a "big" small coutry... 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Beautiful scenery and a great campsite. Thanks for sharing these.

I echo Euphonius' comment about "where are the people?" I've been in China too long, I guess.

My guess is the following picture was taken just before you started your cold bike (gloves on exhaust?)

Also, you must be a magician? How can you balance a helmet on the tank like that?

Lucky guy!

Ehehe,
    Thanks for the replies, yes without a doubt we can hardly see people, Portugal is a small country in area but in return has only 11 million people and most of them live near the coast where large cities are located and we have this "backyard" of almost virgin wilderness to explore, in the photo the bike is leaning to one side, and the gloves are warming up in the exausth because they were almost 0º degrees...

8. #8 Re: Riding in Portugal, a "big" small coutry... 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    truly beautiful. Living here in Zhejiang province, probably the most industrial in China, seeing wilderness like that is a true privilege. Im envious now and it made me homesick. Id give a lot for a gasp of fresh air now......

Thanks for these reports mate!

9. #9 Re: Riding in Portugal, a "big" small coutry... 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    truly beautiful. Living here in Zhejiang province, probably the most industrial in China, seeing wilderness like that is a true privilege. Im envious now and it made me homesick. Id give a lot for a gasp of fresh air now......

Thanks for these reports mate!
    Hi Modron, just want to add that while you are here in Zhejiang, you can actually find many places not too dissimilar to the photos Faria has posted in both his mini RR's. When I was viewing his posts and collection of photos, it made me think, hey I can think of places that look somewhat similar to that not far from where I am based in Zhejiang, and it even gave me an idea to search through my huge collection of photos, and try to match photos one for one. Meaning one of Faria's photos to one of my mine that look similar. Since there are quite a few of his photos, where it would almost appear to be taken from places close by and areas I ride frequently, some of them almost on a daily basis. There might be some subtle differences e.g. language used on the signs, the amount of trash/rubbish one might see in the close-up photos of water ways - though from a distance might look "pretty." My point is Modron, if you can get yourself away from where it is in Zhejiang that you are located you may very well be surprised just what there is in terms of riding options in many parts/areas of Zhejiang (numerous mountain ranges). Some of which can also make you feel you are not amongst 1.4 billion people.
    Fortunately this is one of the sane aspects/factors that keep me balanced with chaotic life and TIC moments which are many. I did SH for several years and don't miss the madness of life there one little bit. Zhejiang has many better areas for riding, maybe just not where you are located?
    Modron, if you have a GP5 I can send you a multitude of c0-0rdinates to help you explore if you want.

10. #10 Re: Riding in Portugal, a "big" small coutry... 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    +1 what bikerdoc said! Zhejiang is heavily industrialized, but still has some of the most amazing rural areas and brilliant roads. If I had an eye tooth, whatever that is, I'd give it to be a bit closer to Zhejiang. You want to see industrialized, come see greater Shanghai -- the endless city.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast