Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Theft protection 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    I also have a cover which btw today was taken off and place on again...someone had a look at my bike. I hope it was just some nosy person not a thief

@LJH What GPS tracker do you use? Are the Chinese ones from taobao any good?
    I forgot - I've had two covers stolen. First was a filthy dirty, ripped plastic POS I was using on my farmer-honda 125. Second was a cheap (20 rmb, IIRC) taobao thing on my scooter. Really p'd me off for some reason, so in a hissy-fit I took a fluorescent orange marker pen and wrote all over my remaining covers, and now also thread my chain through the covers. Damn, people will steal anything not tied down!

I use a few different GPS trackers, all from taobao (around 300 rmb) - none are perfect (they seem to drain my battery within about a week or two). But they are surprisingly accurate, in real time, and also keep a mapped history of routes. One has a back-up battery (in case a thief cuts the battery cable) ... but I am not sure that is necessary, since my non-battery-backup units are also wired directly to the battery - unless the thief gets access to the battery, and disconnects the wires at the terminals, a cut battery cable will not cut power to the GPS tracker. One available GPS tracker feature I do like, is the one that has a motion sensor and sends you an SMS if the bike is moved (e.g,. off its side stand, or center stand) ... despite being a FOF (fat old fart), I can still make it down many flights of stairs in under a minute. There is a GPS tracker thread somewhere on MCM.

Again, I want to make my bike the path-of-MOST-resistance for thieves. Having neighbors who use NO security gives me warm fuzzies.

And also re dogs - seriously, this happened to me last night. I went down to my bikes to get something and as I approached, a feral cat jumped out at me, hissing away - totally scared the shit outta me. I guess the parking lots guys have "adopted" it - they have put food & water dishes down, next to where I park my bikes. The cat is a gigantic mudder-f'er, completely filthy, and looks crazy. I gotta say ... I didn't have the courage to approach my bike. I tried scaring it away, but it stood its ground. Damn - I had to wait a few minutes for it to leave. Next time, I will bring some tasty Whiskas treats. Gotta pay the toll to the troll.

2. #12 Re: Theft protection 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    I use XENA xx14 disc lock because it has build in alarm. Id rather replace the expensive cr2 battery then have the normal alarm drain my bikes battery. Seems pretty solid apart from the pin, which is not made out steel... its been coated to make it look like steel. I dunno if Ive bought a fake one. Hope not.
    Attachment 11031
    That's the disc lock I'm planning to buy, there's also an adapter for it so you can attach a chain/cable to the disc lock!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

3. #13 Re: Theft protection 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's the disc lock I'm planning to buy, there's also an adapter for it so you can attach a chain/cable to the disc lock!
    http://www.adrenaline-asia.net nuff' said...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12