Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Xtrs 125 and 30mm carb ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi All, just got a 30mm Mikuni carb, and im about to install it on my xtrs 125 with an 105 jet and a nice free flow air filter. My question is the the needle has 5 settings and its on the lowest settings, is this right ? Should I put it on the middle setting (3rd).... ?> thx

2. #2 Re: Xtrs 125 and 30mm carb ? 
    You'll have to experiment a bit with it in order to determine the correct position of the clip.

But tell me, what do you expect to get from 30 mm carburetor on a ancient 125cc pushrod which pump out 11-12 hp in stock?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #3 Re: Xtrs 125 and 30mm carb ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for your advice, I think. Now here is some for you, I have rebuilt cars for over 25 years, and I know that putting a better carb on a carb will not , I repeat NOT make it go faster but it will improve the cars performace in other ways. I have read MANY blogs and forums on this subject and by putting a better quality carb on the bike it should and WILL make the bike run smoother. I know the bike is not going to ride/drive like my Nissan 200sx Turbo which is 300bhp but I intend to make that Chinese piece of crap run a little better than it does now. Oh, and my bike is NOT push rod, its OHC, hope that helps you.....

4. #4 Re: Xtrs 125 and 30mm carb ? 
    Мaybe you have not thought about it, but installing of appropriate CV carburetor, judging by the reactions of people who were messing with them, makes a difference. For example, here http://dx.com/p/diy-zinc-motorcycle-...-silver-175539 you can buy one CV carb for 22-23 quid. True, it's spigot type mount, but this should be one hour job for you to install it on your bike. Or, you could find 30 mm AMAL Concentric and start neverending fun.

5. #5 Re: Xtrs 125 and 30mm carb ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ahhh, well thankyou for taking the time to reply and help me out. Ive done a lot of reading up. Ive taken aload of pics and they will be posted on a blog soon. Bike is running a lot smoother with the new carb, I wouldn't say its faster, but it certainly runs smoother and accelerates better. Thx again for your advice, Doggy....

6. #6 Re: Xtrs 125 and 30mm carb ? 
    I think it would be useful for others to know what your setup that does the job: јет size, needle clip position, type of air filter, etc.

7. #7 Re: Xtrs 125 and 30mm carb ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Good point , well I put a mikuni 30mm carb on with a 105 jet and 42mm free flow air filter. The needle clip is in the middle position (3rd down) and I have a stock exhaust. I have turned the a/f screw 1 and 1/2 turns out. The bike has always been aweful to start and starting is now improved. The tick over is set to 1500, even though the manual says 1400 rpm. I also have left the 15T front sprocket on. I can honestly say that my bike now runs a lot, and I mean ALOT smoother. I wouldn't say that its faster, it just pulls smoother and runs better. I can not recommend the Mikuni 30mm enough, fantastic and was only £24. Hope this helps anyone.