Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Turn signals help needed 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I need some suggestions on how to "fix" my turn signals so that I stop driving like an old woman, with one of my signal lights blinking because I forget to turn it off - actually, I find that the JH600's cancel-button a bit small for gloves.

Anyways, here are options I can think of:

1) Loud beeper - I tried this, but the non-weatherproof beeper was under my seat (patched after the relay) so it was muffled by the seat, exhaust note and helmet.

2) Install self-cancelling module - a little pricy ($120 US) for the model that will splice into a handlebar signal control that has left/right/cancel as one module.

3) Brighter dash lights - the JH600 turn signal indicators on the dash are not bright, at all, and the gauges (and turn indicator lights) are covered in a plastic which reflects sunlight.

I walked through the Electronic Market and found a nifty little LED red light (very bright) with a loud beeping ... but it needs a constant 12V (not pulsing, as is fed to the signal lights themselves). It is a somewhat small light which I could easily Dremel into the dash plastic.

Putting it up front, I would need the constant flow of 12V. So, I thought it would be easy to tap into the handlebar switch rather than going all the way back to the relay. I would prefer using just one LED light, but I did buy several and could mount two, if needed.

When I checked the current flow off the handlebar switch, I measured a pulsing flow when a signal was activated. Huh? WTF? Why is current pulsing up there, in the hand grip switch? For some reason, I have assumed that it would be a constant 12V in the hand control, and not pulse until after the relay.

Am I missing something?

Or does someone have a better suggestion?

Thanks

2. #2 Re: Turn signals help needed 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    ...1) Loud beeper - I tried this, but the non-weatherproof beeper was under my seat (patched after the relay) so it was muffled by the seat, exhaust note and helmet....
    Perhaps inspired by Felix's Cumshot Thread, how about a vibrator under the seat rather than a horn? Maybe with negative polarity so it would vibrate only when the signal is OFF. Patent pending.

Just a thought...
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Turn signals help needed 
    So what happens if you connect the light to the on-off flow? It doesn't work at all? Why doesn't it just blink on-off?

4. #4 Re: Turn signals help needed 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    So what happens if you connect the light to the on-off flow? It doesn't work at all? Why doesn't it just blink on-off?
    The nifty (and weather resistant) LED/beeper I bought works as follows ...

1) With a constant 12V current attached, the bright LED flashes on/off and the loud beeper alternates with an on/off beep. It would be perfect if I could find a constant 12V circuit that closes when the turn signal switch is activated.

2) With an on-off flow, the light comes on very briefly (when power is supplied) ... then (when the power is off), the unit stops (there is no beeping because the circuit isn't closed long enough). Power supplied, again, light comes on briefly, power off, no light/beep. There must be some type of little thermal switching relay inside the units I purchased. That may be why there is a momentary delay in the light turning on. Power isn't supplied long enough for the light to turn off and the beeper to start.

I probably need to head back to the market and purchase just a bright light. I doubt I can increase the wattage output of the existing turn signal lights, although maybe I can - anyone try that with a JH600? I can probably find a very loud beeper for under the seat, or maybe bring it up under the dash. Alternately, I could maybe wire my horns into the turn signal circuit - I bet that would make me popular in traffic.

@Euph - thumper already vibrates like crazy.

5. #5 Re: Turn signals help needed 
    C-Moto Guru
    I had an idea once of putting a little vibrator motor within the handle bars on each side so that you could tell which direction you are indicating, you would feel the vibration easily through your gloves and the vibrator would be going on and off along with your indicators so it will be harder to mistake the vibration for engine vibration.
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

6. #6 Re: Turn signals help needed 
    Maybe, you can simply try to remember to turn of the signal after you made a turn? Even older woman can manage that.
    Greetings
    Wonderwoman

7. #7 Re: Turn signals help needed 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SabineHartmann View Post
    Maybe, you can simply try to remember to turn of the signal after you made a turn? Even older woman can manage that.
    Greetings
    Wonderwoman
    lol
    31896749.jpg
    Sinnis Max II (QM125-2V), K157FMI engine (technically a K162FMJ now), 115 main jet, 40 pilot jet, cone air filter, 150cc big bore kit, 17 tooth front sprocket, 30mm carburettor, alarm with remote start, HID spotlights, performance CDI.

8. #8 Re: Turn signals help needed 
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer2004 View Post
    I had an idea once of putting a little vibrator motor within the handle bars on each side so that you could tell which direction you are indicating, you would feel the vibration easily through your gloves and the vibrator would be going on and off along with your indicators so it will be harder to mistake the vibration for engine vibration.
    Clever idea. But what would I do when I am using those hand signals among the other pirates? You know, taking my hands off the bars, for safety.

Maybe the upcoming video production will have some suggestions?

9. #9 Re: Turn signals help needed 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Clever idea. But what would I do when I am using those hand signals among the other pirates? You know, taking my hands off the bars, for safety.Maybe the upcoming video production will have some suggestions?
    reckon we will see a sequel? you might learn a few new tricks by joining the seminar / training with your new pirate cruiser at HD - HOG event 20/04 in Beijing:
    http://hoghd.cn/viewthread.php?tid=12118&extra=page%3D1