Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Touring In China 
    Do any of the members of MCM know of a reliable ground operator in China who can take foreigners on 12-16 day motorcycle tours ? Be interested to learn of any. We ran tours in China in 2004, 2005 and 2007. Had a ground operator who organised Chinese licences (we sat a test of 100 questions). But that company has gone bust. We used Lifan 150 GYs in 2004 and '05. Apart from nuts and bolts coming loose (fixed with thread cement) they did not miss a beat. Did a total of 4500 km with them. We used 14 Wonjan 200 GYs in 2007. Same thing: loose nuts and bolts the first few days, fixed and never gave any more trouble. We leaned them off on the needle to climb passes and they motored over many of them in top gear - that was in Yunnan.
    Horseman1.jpgMtBalangPass.jpgTrails.jpg

2. #2 Re: Touring In China 
    Banned
    a simple search via Advanced Search brings us to this thread: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...Rental-Company

3. #3 Re: Touring In China 
    Just was sitting together with a chinese mate who is guide for a company organising these kind of trips in China. Its called "Edelweiss".
    He told me even nowadays they offer bike tours for foreign riders in Tibet. I wondered because we learned currently its impossible to get a permit for this region, but he stated that is no problem for them.
    We were talking about the Shineray X5 and he show me pics from the shineray factory public days in this year and mentioned he will have ten X5 in Tibet for the tours.

http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/cont...ure-tibet.html
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: Touring In China 
    ... holy sh..t , just know saw the prices....
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

5. #5 Re: Touring In China 
    if we welcome every newcomer to this forum with a direction to the search engine we might as well become a search engine ffs

answer the question or not as is your choice

Welcome rewi alley.............. an x5 shineray would seem a good choice for a hire bike as would a jialing 6 hundy

price wise
    as the popularity of riding in china increases the price will also
    increase

thats life

kia kaha
    Last edited by zhu; 04-18-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: troublesome syntax

6. #6 Re: Touring In China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Rewi,

Welcome to MyChinaMoto. Very interested to see you've been riding in China on and off since 1986.

I'm sure I'm not the only member who would welcome a ride report or two from your adventures. Are you moving to China?

Cheers!
    Euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Touring In China 
    Hi there.

I will dig out some. They are quite long, so I don't know how they will look here. They were written for magazines. Perhaps I should find some from our 1986 trip from Dalian to Hailar on Yamaha RX125 two-strokes. That was really interesting! Chinese mechanic and the tour operator did not understand difference between two-stroke and four-stroke engine oil, and supplied Esso truck engine oil. We ended up pulling and cleaning spark plugs at least once a day...