Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Question about Shnaghai license plate 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi All,

This is my first message on this forum, so I will start by introducing myself.

I am French, 31 years old and working in Shanghai since 5 years now.

I have a Kymco gp110 and I would like to buy a new scooter (maybe the Honda PCX 150) in order to have little bit more power when I am riding out of Shanghai.

I am questioning myself about the license plate I should buy for this new scooter, currently I have Jiangsu plate on my Kymco (I also have a C1D DL and insurance for this scooter) and I don’t know what should be the best choice between 户C or again a Jiangsu plate? 户A is not an option for me, I already bought one for my car and I don’t want to spend 130KRMB.

If I have a problem in the downtown (accident, or simple control) what is the risk? Is it better to have a 户C or is it finally the same thing than a Jiangsu plate?

Considering that I have a DL, Jiangsu plate, insurance, helmet, could they anyway take my bike? Or just give me simple fees of 200RMB?

Thanks in advance for your help,

2. #2 Re: Question about Shnaghai license plate 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    As long as everything is legal, I think the risk of confiscation is low, especially during normal times. Even the 200 rmb fine is rarely imposed, unless there's a campaign going on or you show a shitty attitude.

But how can you be sure that your Jiangsu plate is indeed legal? Fake plates and fake registrations are getting guys thrown into the pokey for 15 days. Fakes are considered worse than no plates at all. And if your bike is legally registered in Jiangsu to someone else, how do you establish your ownership?

cheers
    Euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Question about Shnaghai license plate 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you for your quick reply!

For my current scooter, the Jiangsu plate is registered with the name of my wife, I don’t know how they have managed it as my wife is not from Jiangsu…

I would do the same thing for my new scooter.

Last time when I asked them if I could transfer the plate from my current scooter to the new one, they told me that it is not possible, I cannot transfer the plate which means maybe that it is a fake one?

4. #4 Re: Question about Shnaghai license plate 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi to all MCM users.

This is my first post even though I've been reading the forum for quite some time now.

I have been living in Shanghai for 2 years now and have finally decided it was time to get a bike. I went to the Suzuki shop on Pubei road yesterday and really like the Benelli GS500. I have a motorcycle license in Canada so am now going to get it translated and start the process of getting a China license.

At the store yesterday, I was told the price for the 沪A plate was now RMB 129,000. That's RMB 40,000 more than a car plate.

Is this the price you have heard as of today? And do you see this price going down significantly in the next 3 years (I know 3 years in China is a very long time to know anything)?

Thanks.

JGuan