Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    just read a post of yours that said

"stay in hostels and guest houses as much as possible as hotels are way too expansive"

not if you dont have a chinese passport ??? will not take you in if you have a canada passport just one more shity thing that happens in china i get round it by sending in my chinese wife to book the room first then i just walk pass the desk hotel can get a big fine if they dont book people in with the police this is done online but most small hotel dont have this arrangment so will say no welcome to china lol

2. #12 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinadian View Post
    If I decide to ride without a licence and get caught, possible 2 days in jail!
    Sounds like we have a new candidate for the moron / idiot club that thinks they are above the law while visiting and / or staying in China.....

3. #13 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    i dont think he said he was TB he is making a good point the moron is the chinese goverment who makes the laws ??? and all the farmers who drive the ebike who dont know road laws and dont have a driving license and the ones who do who goes throuth reds lights with out looking and the morons goverments kids who think they are above the law and in most cases are ??? not the western person who has had been driving for many years in loads diffance country all over the world who knows to stop at red lights so i think you are being a bit unfair to say the least .....

4. #14 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    Quote Originally Posted by TB-Racing View Post
    Sounds like we have a new candidate for the moron / idiot club that thinks they are above the law while visiting and / or staying in China.....
    Hey TB-Racing,

Its not very nice to quote someone OUT of context! Or may be your English is as good as my Chinese. Did you not read the first part of my post where my cousin said LOTS OF $$$ and connections but nothing about passing a test. FYI, there is only one law in China and its call the RED ENVELOPE!
    Must stay wild

5. #15 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinadian View Post
    FYI, there is only one law in China and its call the RED ENVELOPE!
    Red envelope, bring a big fat one in case you have an accident - incident with your bought license.

You can take the XxxX out of China.... but you can't take China out of the XxxX....

6. #16 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    didnt know that CHINA was spell with X in lol i learn something new every day

7. #17 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    C-Moto Regular
    Chinadian, if you are serious about riding and exploring China you should think about getting a 6-month visa in order to get a Chinese driver's license. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about visas but you could get a 6-month student visa (X visa) by applying for one of the countless short-term Chinese language courses available throughout the country who will then help you to get a student visa. Back when I was studying in China in 2009, a lot of these fly-by-night Chinese language schools didn't care about your attendance once you enrolled. Things might be more strict now though and they could cancel your visa if you failed to attend enough classes (as is the case in many developed countries).

8. #18 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    The plan is to fly to Hong Kong in October and spend a few day there shopping. Travel to Taishan city thru Macau to visit my family and pick up my "cousin's bike". Ride 2 up for 6 weeks around south western China then onto Vietnam for 2 more week and fly home. TB-Racing is a DH but he is right, I must ride legal. Even if I managed to obtained a 6 months visa. We only have 2 months vacation and I can't wait around and waste valuable time writing and do a road test for the moto license. Besides, I can't write Chinese and read very little. As I said in prior post that my GF is Chinese but was born in Vietnam. She want to see China! My family and I have travel though out north eastern China for the past 10 years. Seen most of the major cities(tourist traps). I loved the Yangtze and Li river cruises but didn't care for all the pollution, glass and concrete jungles. I am hoping to see the real China, areas that have not been fully developed yet... Plan B is travel by bus or train and rent scooters inside cities. Will see...
    Must stay wild

9. #19 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    C-Moto Regular
    There are many problems with what you are planning, Chinadian. Guangdong and South China in general are some of the most anti-motorcycle areas in China with many cities having complete motorcycle bans. I highly doubt that you will find legal gas scooter rentals over there either or in fact in any city in China. If you are caught riding unlicensed in China you run the risk of imprisonment for 15 days and deportation. You might also be barred from entering China for a very long time.

10. #20 Re: Hello from Toronto, Canada 
    You are right PeteZ,

I am starting to come to my senses and rethink the whole thing. I never considered riding China illegally or "DIRTY" as described in many Asian moto forums. Thats why I jointed here and RideAsia.com to find ways to do it legit. There are not many reports in the ride China section compare to its neighbors in RideAsia.com because of what you mentioned above. I still can not understand why one must be accompanied by a "guide" to ride in China or why visitors must pay special rates for hotels? I have seen this only in one other country and its Cuba. I am researching the idea of fly to Bali Indonesia and buy a used small bike once on mainland and ride north to Vietnam. Get rid of the bike then fly to Macau and joint a tour there to appease my GF. As this whole trip is about her finding her Chinese roots! I still dream of riding China someday and without any "PROTECTION" from the Chinese government!

PS: I personally don't care for most of Northern China as I mentioned because the pollution and congestions are unbearable!
    Must stay wild

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast