Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 I just bought a TMEC Enduro and i'm having oil problems? 
    C-Moto Noob
    I recently bought a used TMEC 200 Enduro year 2009 This is my first bike and so I don't know much about motorcycles that's why I decided to go here. For a picture of someone who bought a bike similar to mine go here: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...duro-TMEC200-1 So when I got the bike my friend rode it back to my house, because I didn't know how to ride. Later that day he taught me to ride it in first gear so I rode it in my back yard for a couple of hours. During this time the exhaust put out a lot of white smoke which I didn't think to much of at the time. When I checked the oil for the first time using the dipper to my surprise there was no oil in it so I put in 15w-40 engine oil (not knowing at that time that there was specific motorcycle oil). After I took the MSF course and learned how to ride I started riding it around my neighborhood to get more practice before I ride on the actual streets. I started to take notice to the amount of excessive white smoke coming out of the exhaust that I don't see on other motorcycles. So I thought that maybe it needed an oil change so I did an oil change and added new oil which this time was 10W-40 motorcycle oil. And now it still has the white smoke and I also noticed oil coming out the end of the exhaust. The amount of oil I found at the end of the exhaust was about 1-2 drops, there was also oil on the side of my bike which appeared to be sprayed. So because of my lack of knowledge about motorcycles I decide to come here and see what you guys thought. Is the white smoke and oil coming from the exhaust bad? How can I fix it?

Here are the bike details:
    I found this website which i think sells similar motorcycles to the one I have. http://www.atv4usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TMEC200-1 I think mine is 200cc it could be 125cc i'm not sure because when i ride it the fastest i've gone in 5th gear was 45mph and it felt like the engine was over reving because it was vibrating more than usual. Maybe the engine being so slow relates to the white smoke and oil problem? Also to find the owners manual which i think goes with my bike go to this link : http://www.atv4usa.com/partscatalog.html then click on the link on the very bottom just under the orange title "Owners Manual". Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated thanks.

2. #2 Re: I just bought a TMEC Enduro and i'm having oil problems? 
    Quote Originally Posted by MrArmyman444 View Post
    ... using the dipper to my surprise there was no oil in it so I put in 15w-40 engine oil (not knowing at that time that there was specific motorcycle oil)..
    How much oil did you putted in?
    http://josemaco.files.wordpress.com/...h-62ktjam5.pdf is the 125 manual. Ur bike's engine based on that design, u can guess what's F***ed in the engine by using that manual's IF u had clear mind.
    Last edited by humanbeing; 05-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.

3. #3 Re: I just bought a TMEC Enduro and i'm having oil problems? 
    C-Moto Noob
    1 liter as reccommended in the manual that i found. Thanks for the other manual its alot better than the crappy one i found.

4. #4 Re: I just bought a TMEC Enduro and i'm having oil problems? 
    Too much oil and it blew past the rings, the compression is likely bad now and the rings not sealing properly. Stop ridding it your not helping it.

The oil does not need to be at the top mark, the dip stick should be checked when the bike is hot and sitting for a few minutes. Wipe it and sit it in the opening do not twist it in, dip sticks can be misleading though.

Drain the oil and measure what you drain out, then lower the amount some as a full liter seem allot for a 200cc drop it to 850 ml and then ride it for a while and hope the oil stops flowing past the rings.

When draining oil you have to wait until it all comes out, wait 20-30 minutes. Drain it into a clear liter measuring cup. You drain it when the engine is hot.

Here is link to the engine, maybe? Does it have 163FML stamped on it?
    http://www.tmecpower.com/product.asp?id=1146&bid=118
    The compression should be 9.2-1 if it is a 163FML
    Here is a link to test the compression.
    http://www.dansmc.com/compression_test.htm

5. #5 Re: I just bought a TMEC Enduro and i'm having oil problems? 
    C-Moto Noob
    it has 167FML stamped on it.

6. #6 Re: I just bought a TMEC Enduro and i'm having oil problems? 
    That engine is not listed on their webpage, it still would have likely the same compression.
    14.7*9.2=135.24 PSI, the link is about compression on non-starters at or under 100PSI in order to start the engine it needs to be above that. But if having full compression its based on the 14.7 as PSI at sea level, so based on where you are on earth above or below see level will raise or lower that its just a benchmark if you test the compression it will tell you if you damaged the rings with too much oil.

If the factory had it right the first change would have told the first person that changed the oil if they had it correct or not. But since the Chinese factory workers are worked like dogs and paid peanuts they mess up allot. So you fill conservatively and based on the one liter recommendation and reading off the dip stick, but is it supposed to be on the side stand or held level? Who knows pouring in random amounts is never a good idea. Not measuring what you take out is not a good idea, good mechanic always do.

The first oil change I measure what comes out and that is the amount that goes back in. Since that is lost in the past then,. You and your signs of too much oil need to start over and measure what comes out. This time making sure it is all out and considering the amount in a measurement in liters, in a liter measuring cup. Which are in ml. and 100ml*10 =1 liter.

I suspect the damage is done though….and if it was smoking when you got it then you did not do it. It was sold to you that way.

There is a website called chinariders they have some regulars that seem to enjoy addressing mechanical issues for these little engines. You might try them and see what they say.

http://www.chinariders.net/
    Last edited by MJH; 05-14-2013 at 12:01 PM.

7. #7 Re: I just bought a TMEC Enduro and i'm having oil problems? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Alright thank you for your help.

8. #8 Re: I just bought a TMEC Enduro and i'm having oil problems? 
    I bought a used TMEC 200 like yours, and have had a few Chinabike issues as far as fit and finish, but the engine must have been broken in properly, because it has served me well. My suggestion is to contact Excalibur directly (the atv4usa link). The owner, Wade Liu, is a good guy, and I have had the opportunity to visit the shop,and meet with him and the head sales guy Alan, in person.

I have had a custom rear sprocket made for my bike, in 40 teeth, but you can buy one available in stock from JT Sprockets in 48 teeth which should help your engine RPMs out dramatically. The TMEC uses the Derbi Senda 125 R sprocket, a bike not available in the US. Some people have purchased the sprocket directly from the UK via Ebay. I would recommend you do this as your very first modification, once you get the engine sorted out.

I have used Rotella 15w-40 motor oil for the 6 months I have owned my bike. The only catch, whichever oil you get, is to not get 'high energy' oil (double check on chinariders.net which specific grade of 15w-40 to avoid; you will want to join chinariders.net since you live in the US-this site is great as an international forum, Chinariders.net is based in Canada, but has plenty of US members).