Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Help with oil change. 

2. #12 Re: Help with oil change. 
    C-Moto Guru
    You realize that oil changes its volume when it's hot and when it's cold, don't you?

3. #13 Re: Help with oil change. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Yes I do realize that volume changes with temperature. As long as I know that the correct amount is in that chamber I'm fine. Thanks humanbeing for that webpage.

4. #14 Re: Help with oil change. 
    Keep in mind the clinging inside the engine, you lose the benchmark from the manufacture after your first best guess filling.

Since you overfilled now you have to back off, drain it and check what comes out, if you get over 950ml you put too much in it.

The engine should be hot when changing the oil and you should let it drain for a while, walk away and come back, when nothing is coming out then I lean it to the side more comes out. The fill is left open the filter is removed before draining.

I like the 20W for that bike, but you can run 10W, the difference is temperature outside the 20W is for summer only, its better on the hot summer days but not recommended for below freezing. I never ride it under 50 degrees out so its ideal for me.

There is a Sticky in maintenance for this bike, its has the capacities, I do not think it details oil changes though that is in the owner manual.

5. #15 Re: Help with oil change. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks MJH again for the advice and everyone elses so far! I must seem like a real noob but if it means getting good advice then I'm ok with it. Regarding the oil filter cover. I took the three bolts off the cover but could not get the cover off easily, In fact I couldnt. Are they usually hard to get off or is it just mine?

6. #16 Re: Help with oil change. 
    Your welcome, I always assume some of the people reading may know nothing this way nothing is taken for granted. You can buy the filter for those online fit is the same as for a GN125 not a DR200, the later is too big.

KN-131

7. #17 Re: Help with oil change. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Im one of those guys that likes good detail in an explanation. Went by local ORielly cause there kn131 filter was 5 bucks online but with a $10 frieght charge i thought better. They had a Wix filter for the suzuki dr200 on stock but since i was fairly certain the filter was for a non kickstart motor. But just in case the filter was a wix 24949. I can prob get the kn or hf 131 on ebay cheap.

8. #18 Re: Help with oil change. 

9. #19 Re: Help with oil change. 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'll remember that oil filter humanbeing for when I need more. I bought a pack of three HiFlo 131 filters for 13 bucks on ebay.

10. #20 Re: Help with oil change. 
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg059 View Post
    Thanks MJH again for the advice and everyone elses so far! I must seem like a real noob but if it means getting good advice then I'm ok with it. Regarding the oil filter cover. I took the three bolts off the cover but could not get the cover off easily, In fact I couldnt. Are they usually hard to get off or is it just mine?
    They can be hard sometimes. Try tapping with a rubber mallet around the edges. You really need to change that filter ASAP, though. Since it is your first, it will have metal pieces from the break in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast