Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Help with oil change. 
    C-Moto Noob
    I've changed oil on my truck and 4wheeler before but I'm new to oil changes on motorcycles. My bike is an 08 XP200 thats under the initial break-in period. I changed the oil yesterday after a ride into town and filled it up to the F mark with the bike standing upright, not on its side stand. I just got back from a short ride to add miles and checked the oil to find that it was above the F mark when the bike was upright. Did I do anything wrong? Is the bike supposed to stay on its side stand while you add oil? I did not change oil element. I checked the oil right after the ride so the engine was still hot.

2. #2 Re: Help with oil change. 
    I have the same bike I use a measuring cup clear one liter and drain it all out, if you get over 800-50 ml you overfilled it, its not good to overfill it could push past the rings and make it loose compression. You need to see the oil in the site glass. I have the same bike I measure it each time that way and I think it is 800-850 I get out, but I also lean it and hold it till nothing comes out. Then put the same amount back plus a bit for what is in the filter.

3. #3 Re: Help with oil change. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks MJH! I let out the oil till it was back on the F mark so I think I'm good now. I'll get a measuring cup and dedicate it to measuring my oil when I change it next time. I drove it 20km then noticed the oil so probably no damage done. My first moto so I want it to last.

4. #4 Re: Help with oil change. 
    Oil: 850ml | Oil + filter: 950ml | Overhaul: 1300ml

5. #5 Re: Help with oil change. 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    how about this.
    I drained my oil, filled it with new one up to the maximum. Than started my bike for few min and turn t off. waited about 3-4 min and checked the oil it was on minimum so i added a bit more up to maximum. Again started, waited, stopped, waited and checked the oil and it was at maximum. The next day I made 170km, today chacked the level before the ride (cold engine) and it turns out there is quite a bit too much oil. Bike was in exactly the same position as before.
    When i used 10w-40 mineral i never had any problems, now my brake in period is over so i changed it to 20w-50 synthetic and this happened.
    Apart from this i noticed that the engine sounds different. Much better now, with the 20w-50, quieter and more natural. Maybe a bit less power on low gears but maybe its just my imagination....

any help please?

6. #6 Re: Help with oil change. 
    Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
    Oil: 850ml | Oil + filter: 950ml | Overhaul: 1300ml
    Sounds about right...

7. #7 Re: Help with oil change. 
    The site glass can fuck with your head, if you measure it then you can stop that.
    I been using 20W 50 since new Yamaha all purpose, but do not start the bike in the winter with that it can hurt the engine.

8. #8 Re: Help with oil change. 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    The site glass can fuck with your head, if you measure it then you can stop that.
    Ive got YBR250 and there is dipstick there. So what should i do now? drain it, measure the right amount and pore back in? or completely change to the new one?

9. #9 Re: Help with oil change. 
    I would put new oil in, oil does not cost that much.

I use two cups one for the old oil and one for the new oil.

I set the old oil in the cup next to the cup for the new oil and make them even.

I put back what I take out and keep track of each change to see if it is always the same.

Plus I can see in the two clear measuring cups the color and consistency of old to new.

10. #10 Re: Help with oil change. 
    C-Moto Noob
    I was gonna ride to my girlfriends house and checked the oil and it was below the mark so the site glass is really starting to fuck with my mind as MJH said. Got my cheap measuring cups ready to go so Im gonna drain it and measure it. If the manual says 850ml then thats what Im gonna put in it. Im putting 10w40 cycle oil in it. Whats the diff btwn cycle and motor oil btw?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast