Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Honda CB400 stolen 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello guys.
    I had my Honda cb 400 stolen yesterday so sad. Anyways wanted to see what is available out there for sale. I'm looking for something new since life without motorbike sucks... I'm in Chengdu

Thanks
    Johanmotorbike 009.jpg

Oh and also is anyone using gps tracker that works good in china?

2. #2 Re: Honda CB400 stolen 
    C-Moto Guru
    Sorry to hear it got stolen, I used to have one very similar (03). Wondering if those are actual Ohlins on the back or Chinese copies? Mine had some from an XJR400 (well, it had a lot of parts from different bikes). Did you at least have plates so you could report it?

3. #3 Re: Honda CB400 stolen 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi Johan

So very sorry to hear about your misfortune. It seems that this is happening a lot, recently, or maybe I am just noticing more & more posts on various websites. Maybe it is the time of year (start of bike riding season)?

Re GPS trackers, there is an MCM thread that comments on them. I highly recommend them. I have tried different models and these are my personal observations. Get a model that:

1) has a battery back-up;
    2) also has a motion detector;
    3) has a power-cut alarm; and,
    4) offers unlimited lifetime service for about 200 rmb, after the first year (the first year is usually free)

My personal favorite is a model that includes all the above. I paid around 350 rmb, I recall, but it looks like prices have dropped, and the number of taobao vendors has skyrocketed.

It is great because when power is cut (e.g., a thief cuts a battery lead), the unit continues to operate and also sends you an SMS message about the power cut. Only time it happened to me was when I removed the battery - I immediately got an SMS on my mobile. Nice.

Also, the motion detector is great if someone touches your bike. I just wish that there was a sensitivity adjustment, as it seems that when the local feral cats jump on the bike, it sets it off (I get an sms).

Again, sorry about your misfortune.

4. #4 Re: Honda CB400 stolen 
    That sucks so much, I suggest a crowbar if you ever see someone riding around on a stolen bike, a friend of mine had a un-stealable bike it looked so bad that it looked like it had already been stolen and ruined.

Kennon

5. #5 Re: Honda CB400 stolen 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    OP Sorry to read of your loss. Seems to be a reasonably frequent event though touch wood not affecting to many motorcycling foreigners when anecdotally compared to the local riding brethren. Still it might be wishful thinking that you'd ever see your ride back again some place some day. By all accounts the GPS trackers are quite reasonable propositions, but as advised the ones with the tamper proof, movement and back up battery options are more worthy of considerations as it seems that most bikes are stolen by organised groups or at least the proceeds of the theft find their way to such groups, who are getting pretty wise to such devices. So placing said device in as obscure location as possible is best advised. One of the first 650NK stolen several months after the model became available to the general public, had been fitted with such a GPS locator device. When the bike was stolen the owner was able to logon and get a trace on the bikes location via the GPS track option, but only for a short time, before it was likely discovered and removed. By all accounts the bike was never recovered. Most determined thieves are well equipped and determined. Alls that can be done is to be prudent, take all precautions and make it as difficult as possible for them.

I do know of a near new 650NK with a couple of thousand kilometres on it for sale, though bike is in Shanghai. PM if info needed.