Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'd have to place a vote for my wife as one of the crappiest drivers in China (Although, now she's a U.S. menace!).

I'll never forget my first day in China a few years ago. I thought that I was going to die within the first hour. The drive from Baiyun airport outside of GuangZhou to our home in PanYu included all of the following highlights:

* Stopping, three-point-turn (More or less), and traveling the wrong way down an exit ramp to return back to the highway.

* Stopping dead in the left-hand lane of a three-lane "interstate-style" divided highway.

* U-turns across the median of a busy divided highway.

* Stopping, backing-up 100m on a divided highway in order to review the exit/direction sign that was passed too quickly.

How's that for an introduction to China's drivers? My wife managed to have half a dozen fender-benders with her poor Buick Excelle in the first year of car ownership. Luckily, they were all in the traffic choked streets of GuangZhou where no one has much chance to go over 30 or 40 mph. Doubly-lucky was the fact that her company paid her insurance as she used her car for work.

Amazingly, since she's been driving here in the U.S. she hasn't had a single incident. I chalk that up to the fact that she had to sink-or-swim to drive here. We live at 9,200 ft. and she has to drive a 24 mile tortuous canyon road to arrive in the nearest town. Of course, if I hadn't installed GPS in her car, I would never have seen her again after her first solo drive into town. She has the worst sense of direction of any person I've ever met.

Cheers,

Dan K.

2. #12 Worst car drivers 
    C-Moto Senior
    No, you got it all wrong. After years of scientific study I can tell you Jetta drivers are the absolute worst, and in particular silver colored Jetta drivers are the worst of the worst. Watch out.

Well they're still making bikes from the 1940's that seem to have quite a following!
    Something about a flat twin engine that is timeless........

silver colored Jetta drivers are the worst of the worst. Watch out.
    This is weird, it must be purely regional, watch out for silver Jettas and Xialis in Beijing, bread-shaped vans in Shandong and black Santanas in Sichuan, and Passats in Spain.

Or maybe all car drivers?

There are a few other vehicles that are really unstable and badly driven...........

Why does this vehicle exist? How to ruin a bad scooter!

So far I can say all of the drivers (of vehicles introduced) are equally insane.
    The collection so far is really representative (just my 2 cents).

One exception I have to mention. Drivers of black Santana's aren't too bad - I had one myself before it vanished in a on board fire caused by a cable failure

Andy

P.S. Congratulations to post 100, 888

Quote Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
    I'll never forget my first day in China a few years ago..... Of course, if I hadn't installed GPS in her car, I would never have seen her again after her first solo drive into town. She has the worst sense of direction of any person I've ever met.

"OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" Sounds like par for the course in China. I'll bet you just about shit a brick!

I remember driving one time with my wife and it had me hitting the imaginary brake pedal on the passenger side floorboard. I love her so much, but man that was scary. We're signed on for motorcycle training classes in May!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Or maybe all car drivers?

CC

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" Sounds like par for the course in China. I'll bet you just about shit a brick! ...CC
    As long as we are careful, we're not gonna die

Fact is that even in Europe studies are made to find out which models, brands or colors of vehicle are driven by the most aggressive, slowest or most careful drivers.

Road traffic gives people (the drivers) the opportunity to live the little freedom they may have. Some show their state of wealth, while a motor vehicle is just means of transportation to others. All together they are lucky with the bad law enforcement.

Evaluation of road traffic provides a good overview of the state and maturity of a society, I believe.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    Evaluation of road traffic provides a good overview of the state and maturity of a society, I believe.
    Interesting. What other aspects in society would you say road traffic evaluation measures?

CC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast