Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Provisional driver license 
    C-Moto Noob
    I was reading on http://wikitravel.org/en/Driving_in_China how to get a Chinese driving license when I found this link: http://motorhome-china.com/report_dl.html can we also do this for a motorcyle license ?
    Is it possible to drive out of Beijing with such a license ?
    Did any of you ever went trough this process, it seems quite simple?
    If it's that easy I will certainly buy a motorcycle when I'm in China in July.

2. #2 Re: Provisional driver license 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Frank - July in Beijing is the start of the HOT season (and sometimes rainy).

Quote Originally Posted by FrankTheRoad View Post
    I was reading on http://wikitravel.org/en/Driving_in_China how to get a Chinese driving license when I found this link: http://motorhome-china.com/report_dl.html can we also do this for a motorcyle license ?
    Unfortunately, no. The Provisional DL is only valid for rental passenger cars, rented through approved rental agencies (there is a list in the Traffic Police Office).

Nice link, though - the guy explains it well, with pictures.

Is it possible to drive out of Beijing with such a license ?
    Unfortunately, no. It is limited to Beijing.

Did any of you ever went trough this process, it seems quite simple?
    I have guided several Canadian friends through this process. It is indeed very simple and fast. But the license itself is more of a unique, and inexpensive, souvenir. It is not valid for anything except the small rental cars. The holder cannot even drive my private car.

If it's that easy I will certainly buy a motorcycle when I'm in China in July.
    In China, everything is both possible and impossible. It is definitely different from Canada.

Safe trip!

3. #3 Re: Provisional driver license 
    The wikitravel article is a piece of art in itself, well worth reading

4. #4 Re: Provisional driver license 
    That article is indeed a great read. We should steal its contents and make it a sticky.

The easiest way for a foreigner to get a Mainland license is to take the following action: in Hong Kong, convert your foreign license into a Hong Kong license for about US$120. Then, go to Mainland (Guangzhou is probably the easiest place) and convert your HK license into a Mainland license.
    Has anyone ever tested this method or know who has? Funnily i've never seen it mentioned on this forum, despite all the friendly and insightful driving license discussions.

5. #5 Re: Provisional driver license 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Has anyone ever tested this method or know who has? Funnily i've never seen it mentioned on this forum, despite all the friendly and insightful driving license discussions.
    You might want to use the search engine LOL

6. #6 Re: Provisional driver license 
    Never trust a Wiki.

Hong Kong is not China, thus they act like a civilized country. Not only do they adhere to international laws and standards, they have websites with clear rules and instructions to explain their policies.

There's no need for foreigners to get a HK license. You can drive in HK with a valid license from your home country, or on an international driving permit.

The instructions for getting the HK license are quite simple:

#1 Complete an application form TD63A
    #2 Submit it to Hong Kong Licensing Office.

However, there are some things you need to bring with you that the average tourist is probably not going to have:

Hong Kong Identity Card (original and photocopy);
    Relevant travel document (e.g. passport) (original and photocopy);
    Relevant overseas driving licence (original and photocopy);
    An officially certified translation of your overseas driving licence if it is in a language other than English or Chinese;
    Other relevant supporting documents (original and photocopy);
    Address proof (residential address and correspondence address) issued within the last 3 months (e.g. water/electricity/gas/mobile phone bill or bank correspondence);
    Medical examination report form TD256 duly completed by a registered medical practitioner (applicable to a person aged 70 or above); and
    Required fee (you may make enquiries at the enquiry counters of licensing offices or through 1823 Call Centre, refer to the licence fees table (TD341) at the licensing offices, or visit Transport Department's website for information).

They would probably take your passport in liu of the HK ID card, but I'm pretty sure the procedure is set up for Hong Kong residents only and would be a no-go fro anyone that shows up to the motor vehicle department with a passport showing they're a visitor.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: Provisional driver license 
    That article is indeed a great read. We should steal its contents and make it a sticky.

Hi Felix

You asked about the method to get a chinese DL if you have a HK DL well reading websites it look like you can convert your HK DL to a chinese DL with out taking a test and no need to have a long visa.
    so if you start with converting your home DL to HK DL its look easy see link

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_servi...ving_licence_/

Then when you have your HK DL you just need to pop over to china and convert it ??? no test taken no long visa needed

the only way to skip the written and practical test, is to convert your HK drivers licence in Guangdong as guangdong is the only province in china has signed an agreement recognizing each others drivers licence. further, the main reason for that agreement, it is actually a scheme to benefit the guangdong residents so they can get an international drivers licence via a converted hong kong drivers licence, as china is not yet a contracting party to the Convention of Road Traffic.

see link

http://www.gokunming.com/en/forums/t...riving_license

i did hear about this way 8 years ago but because i was not going to move to that area in china i did not look into it

i hope this clears up a few things or will i be called a moron / idiot club agian ???

8. #8 Re: Provisional driver license 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    so if you start with converting your home DL to HK DL its look easy see link
    And you know how many people that have done this?

I know several people that tried and failed when they were asked for their proof of residence in Hong Kong. All of them were told they didn't need a HK license to drive while visiting HK and only residents require a license. I know one foreigner with a registered company there that used his HK company address to get a HK DL, and then used it to get a China DL. I know dozens of Hong Kong'ers that used their HK DL's to get licenses in Shenzhen.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #9 Re: Provisional driver license 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    And you know how many people that have done this?

I know several people that tried and failed when they were asked for their proof of residence in Hong Kong. All of them were told they didn't need a HK license to drive while visiting HK and only residents require a license. I know one foreigner with a registered company there that used his HK company address to get a HK DL, and then used it to get a China DL. I know dozens of Hong Kong'ers that used their HK DL's to get licenses in Shenzhen.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    so it can be done but you just need to have the correct paperwork is that what you are saying chinaV

10. #10 Re: Provisional driver license 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    so it can be done but you just need to have the correct paperwork is that what you are saying chinaV
    No, I'm saying exactly the opposite. There is no Hong Kong loophole because tourists can not meet the residence criteria.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast