Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    Backroads Rider
    Hi Everyone,
    I understand that as a legal working resident of China I am entitled to import, free of tax, one vehicle which can be a motorcycle, as long as it is brand new. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of hassle and paperwork required to do this but the price difference is enormous and well, it is worth the hassle to me!

I live in Kunming and there are a lot of good backroads here to explore and I plan to stay for some years so I'm very serious about this.

If you have any first hand knowledge of doing this please write to me. If you know any trustworthy customs agents or freight forwarders I also need that info. I currently have a Chinese license and a Honda 230 dual sport, legally registered and licensed in my name for Kunming. I've ridden here for the last 6 months. It's seriously too small and too uncomfortable for long trips. I've got some long trips planned and plenty of beautiful places to visit in Yunnan and maybe some neighboring areas.

I'm a California resident and can buy a bike in Oregon with no sales tax and ship it from there to here. It has to go all the way to Kunming and be cleared by customs in Kunming, not Shanghai or Guangzhou. It has to clear at the final destination.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I am only interested in a BMW G650 GS, nothing larger and not interested in other brands. I've done a lot of riding all over South America and intend to do more here.
    Cheers,
    Rob

2. #2 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laoshi19 View Post
    I understand that as a legal working resident of China I am entitled to import, free of tax, one vehicle which can be a motorcycle, as long as it is brand new.
    Working for the foreign service (embassy / consulate / etc.) by any chance as the last time I heard and have seen this type of motor-vehicle import into China the fully legal way was in the late 90's. Anyhow, the more experienced MCM members will chime in, quite sure about that..... good luck anyhow and yes ~ great riding in Yunnan province and right next door = Sichuan province.

3. #3 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    Welcome laoshi19

Good News - You live in a fantastic place compared to the majority of us here on MCM, enjoy it.

Bad News - You're probably not going to be able to buy a motorcycle in America and ship it here. I think your information is very much out of date, and as TBR mentioned, I think you need diplomatic status to qualify for the 1 vehicle deal. I've heard some businesses with large capital investments in certain economic zones can still do this. I tried to do it Guangdong and in Tianjin, failed in both places. There is a member here on MCM that was trying to bring in a Yamaha Super Tenere, I'm not sure if he managed to do it or if it fell through.

Much easier thing to do is to buy a Jialing JH600 and splurge on a accessories and upgrades. Quite a few people have them, and a 600cc has plenty of comfort and power for China.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #4 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    diplomatic status to qualify for the 1 vehicle deal.
    One of my European riding mates had a Honda Africa-Twin (rally version) and a Mercedes-Benz (beautiful old restored white 280SL with red interior) here in Shanghai imported and registered through the European consulate he was working for. That was 12+ years ago and tried to purchase the bike legally and we did not succeed even offering to pay the import tax. He tried to sell the bike within the diplomatic circle and was not allowed and both vehicles had to be exported out of the motherland to the country of origin.

Nowadays, diplomats are still allowed to import vehicles for private use?
    Haven't heard anything in the last years.....

In the 90's companies investing in ML China were given quotas to import motor-vehicles tax free. Mate and I drove a black Toyota Crown each up from the "special economic zone" Shenzhen to Shanghai for the joint-venture company we were working for.... The good old adventures and times in China! No clowns & idiots that thought they are above the law.....

5. #5 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    for embassy staff it is still possible. But also they have to export the bike after having finished their service period in China.
    One of our German riding mates has this nice black plate with a red character :-)
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

6. #6 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Just to add that, official consular/embassy/diplomatic staff often aren't allowed to sell the vehicle. Dependent on the rules that were enforce the time the vehicle was imported. It is possible to see plenty of vehicles imported through the diplomatic route being sold in BJ (I'm sure those MCM BJ members would be familiar with this), but the vehicle can only usually be sold to some other diplomatic staffer.

To the OP, I can assure that the difficulty and amount of both paperwork, and substantial cost have to be factored in. I know first hand since I'm the person referred to by ChinaV, as having the Super Tenere (S10, Super10, XT1200Z) that has been waiting for the paperwork to released by the Chinese officials on this side to be able to do so. I have supplied everything on my side, to their satisfaction, and have had the verbal OK, but verbal don't mean squat. I simply have to wait until the importation and customs papers are released to me before I can ship the S10 into China. There are some complicating factors. I'm a kiwi, the bike is bought in OZ. NZ has a FTA, Australia are negotiating one, SH port would have been the authorised port of entry even though I live right beside (2km as the arrow flies) one of the biggest deep water ports in Eastern China (Ningbo). But the Ningbo port and customs now have the authorisations to accept vehicles (very recent change), so that changed things at this end. Been waiting a year. Laoshi19 for a break down of the cost check out my posting on Importing M/C from abroad into PRC

Basically the upshot is it will cost you as much if not more than the same G650GS already available in China (which might also prove a sticking point - think protectionist mindset). Simply doubling and some cases tripling the regular MSRP (USA prices is good guide) will give you the approximate price/cost of either buying a legally imported bike landed here already or bringing one in yourself.

You might be interested to know there is a special deal at the moment for the 2013 F700GS with ABS for CNY120K and the new basic R1200GS (ABS only) for 199K (with all the extras CNY249K). There'll be other offers of additional models like the F800GT near the end of the year.

There are some other posts with relevant information, but lots of incorrect info too. Some MCM members thought they'd stumbled on a scheme to import motorcycles manufactured in other ASEAN member countries (e.g. Thailand) and avoid some of the relevant taxes/duties... but...

7. #7 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Just to add that, official consular/embassy/diplomatic staff often aren't allowed to sell the vehicle. Dependent on the rules that were enforce the time the vehicle was imported. It is possible to see plenty of vehicles imported through the diplomatic route being sold in BJ (I'm sure those MCM BJ members would be familiar with this), but the vehicle can only usually be sold to some other diplomatic staffer.

To the OP, I can assure that the difficulty and amount of both paperwork, and substantial cost have to be factored in. I know first hand since I'm the person referred to by ChinaV, as having the Super Tenere (S10, Super10, XT1200Z) that has been waiting for the paperwork to released by the Chinese officials on this side to be able to do so. I have supplied everything on my side, to their satisfaction, and have had the verbal OK, but verbal don't mean squat. I simply have to wait until the importation and customs papers are released to me before I can ship the S10 into China. There are some complicating factors. I'm a kiwi, the bike is bought in OZ. NZ has a FTA, Australia are negotiating one, SH port would have been the authorised port of entry even though I live right beside (2km as the arrow flies) one of the biggest deep water ports in Eastern China (Ningbo). But the Ningbo port and customs now have the authorisations to accept vehicles (very recent change), so that changed things at this end. Been waiting a year. Laoshi19 for a break down of the cost check out my posting on Importing M/C from abroad into PRC

Basically the upshot is it will cost you as much if not more than the same G650GS already available in China (which might also prove a sticking point - think protectionist mindset). Simply doubling and some cases tripling the regular MSRP (USA prices is good guide) will give you the approximate price/cost of either buying a legally imported bike landed here already or bringing one in yourself.

You might be interested to know there is a special deal at the moment for the 2013 F700GS with ABS for CNY120K and the new basic R1200GS (ABS only) for 199K (with all the extras CNY249K). There'll be other offers of additional models like the F800GT near the end of the year.

There are some other posts with relevant information, but lots of incorrect info too. Some MCM members thought they'd stumbled on a scheme to import motorcycles manufactured in other ASEAN member countries (e.g. Thailand) and avoid some of the relevant taxes/duties... but...
    If you are waiting on a FTA for Australia emm don't h old your breath you will go beyond blue.

8. #8 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I'm not the one waiting. I certainly am not holding my breath for the Australian FTA, as you say I'd turn blue long before that happens. The FTA is quite a complex bit of legislation, and when I viewed the one between China and NZ, to my mind it really favours China and very much one sided. Just browse the number of Great Wall vehicles on sale in NZ (and OZ for that matter). NZ doesn't have the same parity as OZ does, what with the extent of the fundamental mineral resources etc. As for vehicles, they generally have to be made up of country specific sourced parts. Not just assembled if my memory serves me rightly. Notwithstanding NZ doesn't have any real form of automotive assembly industry let alone manufacturing per se'. So for the FTA, NZ gets dumped with the likes of Great Walls, Jialing, CFMoto el al., while NZ ships off butter, dairy, meat and other agricultural products - well that's the theory at least, since FTA is as much about bilateral market access devoid of artificial barriers as anything else.

Nope, I'm just waiting for the officialdom on this side to release the documents to start shipping the S10 from OZ. To be fair, these days I'm not pushing for it, as I take delivery of a new 650TR this coming Friday. Means fitting the fifth bike in with it's four siblings and a cage. Gonna be tight, but I'll manage. I ordered white, since two of the siblings are white, and maybe that might fool my wife for a time.

9. #9 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    For what it is worth (and that is probably not much) I heard last week from Chinese riders that the 1 car/bike for a foreigner and Chinese returny will come back.

Not sure it was just a wild dream, or if there was some truth in it, but positive enough to mention.
    Who knows...

10. #10 Re: Want to Import a BMW G650 GS from the US 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Having set up a number of wholly foreign-owned enterprises in China in the past decade, I can say that there's NEVER been any provision for importing vehicles by such companies. There was, and may still be, a provision allowing such companies to obtain one or two plates for company vehicles outside of the current auction system. But since Beijing's stupid and toxic decision to make carmaking a "pillar industry of the economy" back in mid-1990s (under JZM), the assumption has been that, with rare exceptions, vehicles purchased by WFOEs would be made in China.

cheers
    Euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast