Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    This bike looks like something I would be interested in, look forward to getting the report from the factory...

Cheers guys

Mick

Be Dirty!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    There is also only a pure dirt bike available, so no lights etc and not street legal unfortunately.

Anyway keep posted, they probably will release some kind of enduro/super moto versions in the future, and I will be visiting the factory soon (in the next month or so).
    ZMC888, The pure dirt bike (motocross or MX) version is called LD450(蓝色) in Chinese. If you don't switch to the english part of asiawing's website, if you stay on the chinese part, you will also find the dual sports / enduro version (LD450(黑色):
    http://www.asiawing.com/info_detail.asp?id=36&c_id=4

Be Dirty!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    On the Chinese site, their is a slideshow that shows their 450 with lights. I bet that the Honda enduro kit from Baja Designs would/should fit, but I don't know how practical it is to obtain the kits (ironically, probably made in China, too)
    Putting some lamps on an MX-bike is usually not a big deal. There are many suppliers for this stuff. Most famous one is Acerbis from Italy, they do it for 25+ years now. There are also many in China, just check Alibaba, using "dirt bike" or "dirt bike equipment". For instance http://www.eaglegroup.cc/ or www.cntdrmoto.com . Pretty cheap, some of their parts are not too bad, actually very good (Some of these parts can be found in western catalogues...). If someone's interested in their parts, let me know, as I send out my next orders in a few days...

While attaching some lamps is the easiest part to convert an MX bike into an Enduro, the rest is usually a big hassle: The MX versions' generator often don't supply power for the lights etc.
    Moreover, the silencers are too loud, emissions to high, sidestand In many countries it has to flip up automatically or the ignition has to turn off automatically when shift into the gears or pulling the clutch lever), the entire bike needs a technical approval (homologation) according to national laws. Turns out to be pretty expensive and time consuming in most cases/countries.

There are uncountable manufacturers of "dirt bikes" in China, most of them just buy parts and assemble the bikes (very care less, as ususally here in China. If they just would spend a few more minutes, train their workers, do it with bit more of care, they could sell it for 50% more and have a sustaiable business. Buit you guys here in China know it, and it's another topic).

Many of them use the same (weak, outdated, heavy) engines, crappy suspension etc. So far asiawings bike seems to be the best (from what I can judge watching the videos and their website). That's why I was wondering if asiawings Enduro/Dual Sports version might be street legal in China, if I can register this bike here... Putting my Yamaha YZ450F engine into this frame, the suspension etc.... . But of course, this would be still far away from what I actually want (A KTM 450 or 530 EXC, registered, legal in Beijing).

BTW: I know in the US, Enduros are commonly called "Dual Sport" bikes (I'm German). But even those in the US who are serious about this sport don't use these words. There is no DUAL SPORT bike, it's either MX or Enduro. You can't do both (seroiusly) with the same bike. Even the bikes that KTM, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Yamaha (with their YZ-F's and WR-F's) etc manufacture are divided into the MX versions and the Enduro versions. Not just because of the lamps. Enduros usually have one more gear (wide speed span), another transmission, another softer suspension, often the frame differs, the engine has another setting, camshaft etc (enduro Engines need more torque/momentum at the bottom while MX's are more aggressive. The difference might be little for those who ride bikes like XT's, XL's and so on.
    Honda doesn't have seriuous enduros (for competition/racing), that why there are many Enduro-Parts available for the CR-F's.

Be Dirty!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    However there is a quad bike factory 5 kms from me and they are making low-end 400-450cc quads with single engines. These are basically low end Yamaha quads made in China with a different badge, but they are for low-end cheap market, sale not high-end race quads like the YFZ450R.
    ZMC888, but the engines should be at least better than the stuff you get usually here. I'm not a "Quad-guy", but might be interested anyway. Maybe they sell the enigines only. Maybe these are the older YZ-F engines. If licensed by Yamaha, the engines should be reliable as well. What's the web-address of this quad-bike manufacturer?

When you go there, take photos (if you can, if they let you take photos).

I just looked at the chinese link you posted for the LD450 Peterkue, noticed that it only has a 8.5 litre tank, that's very small, I guess unless the engine in very efficient, which I would doubt if its based on an older engine design that it will have a max range of about 150km. I guess it wasn't designed for distance though..

Quote Originally Posted by peterkue View Post
    While attaching some lamps is the easiest part to convert an MX bike into an Enduro, the rest is usually a big hassle: The MX versions' generator often don't supply power for the lights etc.
    Moreover, the silencers are too loud, emissions to high, sidestand In many countries it has to flip up automatically or the ignition has to turn off automatically when shift into the gears or pulling the clutch lever), the entire bike needs a technical approval (homologation) according to national laws. Turns out to be pretty expensive and time consuming in most cases/countries.
    There are 50 states here in the US, and all of them have their own laws and/or loopholes. I live in Arizona which allows anything with a minimum set of street equipment to get a license plate. Just a few miles from me is the state of California, ironically where Baja Designs is located, and they closed the dual-sport loophole a few years ago, so no bikes can get street registered if they were formerly off-road bikes. There was a deadline a few years back, and now it's past that point!

Baja Design's kits are highly regarded in the US, and for many of the kits, they need to do a stator rewind (I think that is what they call it), to have the kit functioning properly.

I wish you luck on obtaining the 450 engine from that factory, and if you decide to join the rally.

Quote Originally Posted by steamerstimpson View Post
    it will have a max range of about 150km. I guess it wasn't designed for distance though..
    That's righteous range for some of us!

Just wanted to make a quick comparison between a 2005 DRZ400 and LD450, not sure how accurate the asia wing stats are of course, if the engine was an older design it would have perhaps similar outputs to the newer DRZ400 so I think that this engine could be a more up to date copy.

LD450

Horse power: 42.9 hp @ 7,500 rpm
    MO Measured Torque: 31.35 LB ft @ 6000 rpm

Suzuki DRZ400
    Measured Horsepower: 34.65 Hp @ 7,750Rpm
    MO Measured Torque: 25.91 LbFt @ 6,000Rpm

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...-sm-18268.html

Any thoughts?

Okay, the wait is apparently over for this bike in the US--Roketa will be carrying it here, as well as Asiawing's Spark 500....can one say dual sport kit?!!

http://www.roketa.com/product/7/0/48423.shtml

Dual-sport/enduro/street bikes probably will be register-able in China for 25% above purchase price (according to region).

Asiawing factory report and ride report coming your way in March or sooner. Waiting for day with temp over 15c.

Bike based on Cagiva technology apparently.......

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast