Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Getting (il-)legal in Tianjin 天津 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorka View Post
    Hi Doc,
    long time no see! Thanks for the support, I will keep in mind.
    So far no real progress, but my luck may be just about to change. I have just made a new acquaintance with guanxis in the right place. Lets see what will happen in the next week or two.
    Anyway, i have learnt a couple of things:
    1. The fapiao must have my Chinese name as Tianjin traffic bureau claims. At least this is what an agent in BJ says
    2. There is a procedure for claiming the tax money (and maybe the fapiao?) back. To apply, you need to get a "return bike verification閫€杞﹁瘉鏄" from the dealer.
    3. In Tianjin, unlike Beijing, Shanghái and other places, you can not get the insurance before the plate (confirmed by 4 people)
    4. All the previous is BS. At least we know a case of a korean guy who had his cars registered with an "english" name.

I have now asked my wife to try to get me, in the meantime, an insurance in SH, but im not sure how that will work
    TIC, there's the official 'rules' and then there are the interpretation of those rules... most of my rides, car and several of my bikes are in my English name, and the insurance on most are also, but I did have one that was done under my Chinese name. Pretty much depends on what the person in charge behind the counter at any given time decides or is most easiest for them. If you can't get the insurance in SH, then PM me and I will ask the friend with the Benelli shop if he can help you get it. That way at least you'd have insurance, legal documents, fapiao etc. just not the plate. In time hopefully you get that though.

2. #32 Re: Getting (il-)legal in Tianjin 天津 
    2013-11-18-1480 (Medium).jpg

Who's that? Was wobbling in front of me on the expressway this morning, brand new JH600 with 津C-plate.
    Interesting to see more and more bikes, and even some legally plated.

3. #33 Re: Getting (il-)legal in Tianjin 天津 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
    Who's that? Was wobbling in front of me on the expressway this morning, brand new JH600 with 津C-plate.
    Interesting to see more and more bikes, and even some legally plated.
    Kinda wide with those tourfella boxes - too wide to easily lane split. But I see he has a female pillion, which probably explains why he needs big boxes.

4. #34 Re: Getting (il-)legal in Tianjin 天津 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Kinda wide with those tourfella boxes - too wide to easily lane split.
    True, but he rode like they didn't exist, trying to squeeze through everywhere, making a lot of drivers uneasy I bet. Nearly touched a couple of cars.

5. #35 Re: Getting (il-)legal in Tianjin 天津 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
    True, but he rode like they didn't exist, trying to squeeze through everywhere, making a lot of drivers uneasy I bet. Nearly touched a couple of cars.
    I have the same boxes for my JH ... always made me uneasy in town. So friggn wide, I hit a bird once - it knocked the lid off.

Hey Barry - reading this? Does it bring back memories of a certain road trip with a girlfriend pillion who took over the huge Tourfellas? You ended up being permitted to store all of your stuff in your pockets?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234