Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    IMAG1536.jpg
    This is the excellent waitress who kindly chilled a crate of beers down for me, I wasn't brave enough to explain the meaning of her t-shirt to her

2. #32 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    Quote Originally Posted by futianshenzhen View Post
    Attachment 11623
    The log cabin village

Attachment 11624

Attachment 11625
    Fixing the chain - the first time

Attachment 11626
    The Kazakh hospitality was second to none
    It is Kazakh tradition that if they come across a fellow Kazakh traveller they should offer food and shelter. You to them look like a Kazakh .Happened to me quite abit up in the mountains.

Great RR.Who said Xinjiang not worth travelling too.Name starts with G as I recall.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 05-24-2013 at 01:34 AM.

3. #33 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar

At this rate, this thread might be a contender as the most read thread knocking the Dong Fang DF250 TRB Bobber thread of the top spot.

Keep it comin...

4. #34 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    Cheers guys!

Well that's about it actually. In summary i'd say that the trip exceeded all expectations in terms of scenery, people and roads. Although the latter were a bit too straight most of the time! The yingang was fantastic as ever, an absolute joy in the twisties. The 250 at less than 17 grand is a steal IMO, once the brand becomes more established i'm sure the price will rise. The upcoming 600 version at 24 grand is seriously tempting even though i just forked out on a second hand JH600.

I'm flying back to Urumqi on Monday 27 to continue the adventure. I will be passing through Kashgar, Hotan and Turpan before shipping the bike to Beijing for the next advendture in July, when I'll be riding to Harbin via the northernmost point in China. At the moment all this will be done solo as none of the Guangdong riders can release themselves from prior commitments. But if anyone up north is up for riding long distances in a day and has some time off let me know.

5. #35 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    ...The upcoming 600 version at 24 grand is seriously tempting
    If this is true then it will be priced substantially lower than every other legal mid-sized displacement motorcycle manufactured in China. So time will tell if it comes to be just where cost savings might have been made, and consequently how reliable the bike might be.

...even though i just forked out on a second hand JH600.
    Share the details, photos etc. Looking forward to some additional views and experiences about the JH600 in due course. Will this be your ride in July?

6. #36 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    Yes it will be the an absolute bargain! And this is excatly the problem yingang have at the moment!! Many people look at the 250 for 16,800 and think it's too cheap, the brand just makes farmer bikes etc and decide to pay around 25 for the yamaha or susuki etc. So now they have decided to release larger capacity bikes at higher prices and still people will say "it's too cheap, the quality must be rubbish!"

The bike I ride has improved beyond recognition since ChinaV did his review, mainly in the rubustness of the frame, the rear suspension and brakes. All the great work they have done in the factory will now come into its own with the 600 cc. Because they haven't had to develop the engine they can take a now well running jialing product from under their noses for next to nothing. That's why it'll only be 24 grand.

The only question I asked was could the frame handle the extra power? The answer was yes, its a very strong and actually pretty heavy steel frame and with the improvements I mentioned above I think it will be fine. For me the yingang is an amazingly fun bike and only loses out to the JH 600 in comfort over long distances, straight line speed and the way the jialing glides over mid level potholes! In every other department the yingang 250cc beats it and I think the 600 version will obviosuly be more than competitive in the power department but the jialing is a better long distance tourer, especially with a passenger.

My jialing isn't registered yet, i've sourced a fapiao and am now in the hands of some local mates who are using their guangxi to try and help. Fingers crossed. All the rides this summer will be on the yingang, they have given me free storage in any of the showrooms nationwide which is a massive help.

7. #37 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    great trip, looking to your next installment!

8. #38 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    Yes it will be the an absolute bargain! And this is excatly the problem yingang have at the moment!! Many people look at the 250 for 16,800 and think it's too cheap, the brand just makes farmer bikes etc and decide to pay around 25 for the yamaha or susuki etc. So now they have decided to release larger capacity bikes at higher prices and still people will say "it's too cheap, the quality must be rubbish!"
    Well I'd hazard a guess that many others would feel it was/is too expensive. I've lost count of the number of people who make comments or remarks on the Jetmax 250 maxi scoot who feel that 20K (total ownership cost out the door made of RMB17600 MSRP plus sales tax, then plating, insurance etc) is over the top, especially for a Chinese brand one that is little less known. While any of the Jap bikes I own here receive differing comments when the prices are 3-6 times that of the Jetmax. Most Chinese seem more approving.

Given that IMO few domestic Chinese brands are associated with quality etc this seems logical. Generally speaking the foreign brands have better QA/QC/QI mechanisms in place (sure, there can be exceptions to this), are more likely to opt for better materials and design tolerances, concepts etc to put out a product that will withstand scrutiny. Basically foreign brands are more cognisant and acutely aware of customer perception and goodwill. Domestic brands, are more likely to want to reach the pot of gold at any cost (referring to a Chinese proverb). Even if to do so might be seen as short sighted to an outsider.

YMMV.

9. #39 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    ..... but the hotel boss had returned and said I couldnt stay there after all. Apparently theyd had trouble with some motorcyclists before! I managed to sweet talking them into.....

545 today, 3000 total
    I wonder who those motorcyclists were.

Thanks for filling in the gaps besides those pictures we've been following on Wechat. Seriously brilliant stuff.

Too bad you missed Qilian shan:

10. #40 Re: Chongqing to Urumqi 
    Hey, I totally understand your malaise towards Chinese companies but why bring scooters into this? They are like fat birds my friend, great fun til your mates see you riding them! Oldie but a goodie! and don’t they have their own separate thread here on MCM? All im trying to say is that at the moment you won’t find a better value for money motorcycle than the (posh) yingang range.

I agree totally that the foreign brands are more likely to have better ’ QA/QC/QI mechanisms in place’ etc but you can’t fault yingang for the direction they are taking. There is one guy who is basically in charge of all the “cool” yingang bikes. I know the guy, he went to uni in the UK and just loves all things two wheels, the CEO is happy to give him free rein as long as he makes money. And from what I hear, margins are low but they are the top selling 250 in south America and are one of the only Chinese companies who are innovating (with Chinese characteristics), shineray have basically been cheating by copying yingang engines and stealing all the thunder on MCM!

Now – customer service….
    Yingang have basically knocked everyone else out of the park! I have been given incredible freebies and service nationwide just because I ride their bikes like they want to be ridden. They are just starting in this market and are obviously trying to make a name for themselves that is about a lot more than taking the veg to market. Write them off if you want but I reckon you’ll be made to eat your words

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast