Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    Hey Guys,

I just went to my favorite motorbike dealer : 2717 wuzhong road, near qixin road (I bought him 650nk with Hu A license plate about 9 months ago: always very helpful team) and he just released the Honda NC700X. The bike is made in Thailand.

I sat on it and it has very low center of gravity: must be so easy to drive. If you pay attention to details, you'll see that everything feel top quality from the brakes to the shift lever. It might be a good choice for people driving downtown and going on dirty roads during weekends.

Jeff, the shop's boss just bought one for himself (he owns a 650tr and a Benneli K1130). Price is around 140 000rmb (as you guys know, imported vehicles are highly taxed in China, but vehicles made in Thailand are being taxed lesser than normal).

Here’s the review:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...-ar131956.html

Here the characteristic of the bike:

Engine Type 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin
    Bore And Stroke 73mm x 80mm
    Induction PGM-FI, 36mm throttle body
    Ignition Digital transistorized with electronic advance
    Compression Ratio 10.7:1
    Valve Train SOHC; four valves per cylinder
    Transmission Six-speed
    Final Drive Chain
    Front Suspension 41mm fork, 6.0 inches travel
    Rear Suspension Pro-Link single shock with spring-preload adjustability; 5.9 inches travel
    Front Brake Single 320mm disc with two-piston caliper
    Rear Brake Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper
    Front Tire 120/70ZR17 radial
    Rear Tire 160/60ZR17 radial
    Rake 27.0 degrees
    Trail 110.0mm (4.3 inches)
    Wheelbase 60.6 inches
    Seat Height 32.7 inches
    Curb Weight 472 pounds. Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride
    Fuel Capacity 3.7 gallons
    Miles Per Gallon 64 MPG - Honda’s fuel economy estimates are based on EPA exhaust emission
    Model Id NC700X
    Emissions Meets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.
    Available Colors Light Silver Metallic
    One Year Transferable, Unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.

Here are what magazine’s says:

“It’s not the berpowerful or omnipotent bike of adolescent dreams, but with this impending era of two-wheeled functionality looming large, the Honda NC700X answers a whole lot of questions Americans never knew they had about modern motorcycles.” — Autoblog
    “Judged on engine performance alone, then, the NC700X might seem a bit vanilla; but thanks in large part to its chassis, the Honda is a really fun bike to ride.” — Cycle World
    “This is probably the easiest motorcycle available today to get on and just ride.” — MCN
    “…the most friendly beginner mount on the market.” — Motorcycle-USA
    “…the NC700X is a utilitarian 21st-century tool that hits a hard-to-define sweet spot.” — Popular Mechanics
    “…finally giving a large number of riders a bike that suits their real world needs rather than conforming to the fantasy performance template forged by sports-oriented bike journalists.” — Kevin Ash

Here are some pictures:
    nc700x.jpgnc700x 2.jpg3.jpg

2. #2 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    Lesser taxed than normal? Price = 140,000 RMB = $US 22,850. Us price $6,999. More than 300% more expensive. Nice theory about Thai imports being cheaper, although it just seems totally untrue.

Anyhow the bike has 2 thirds of a compact car engine, the new CB500 is much nicer.

3. #3 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    The 700 sells for $7,500.00 in the USA.
    Honda is offering the Grom here for $2,999.00 for 2014

4. #4 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    They also have an M version of the new CRF250
    they are selling in Japan.

5. #5 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    ZMC why is the engine 2/3rds of a car engine the internals are based on a Honda Jazz/fit 1.3 engine which is a four cylinder so its half a car engine, compared to a proper motorcycle engine it revs really low which is why its so efficient but lacks the buzz and feel of a engine designed from the start as a motorcycle engine.

Kennon

6. #6 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    The 700 sells for $7,500.00 in the USA.
    Honda is offering the Grom here for $2,999.00 for 2014
    Is it just me or does that picture look like a gorilla riding a minibike for anyone else?

As for the NC700X, it's a Honda so I know it will last forever, but for that price one could get two legally plated Benellis from the same dealer and still have money left over to buy fuel for the next 2 years.

7. #7 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
    ZMC why is the engine 2/3rds of a car engine the internals are based on a Honda Jazz/fit 1.3 engine which is a four cylinder so its half a car engine, compared to a proper motorcycle engine it revs really low which is why its so efficient but lacks the buzz and feel of a engine designed from the start as a motorcycle engine.

Kennon
    Sorry thought that the engine it was based on was a 3 cylinder, something I read a few years ago must have been wrong. Anyhow point is a CB500 would be a much better more entertaining bike. There are now loads of NC700's floating around very cheap second hand in the UK, as new riders quickly got bored of them.

8. #8 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Is it just me or does that picture look like a gorilla riding a minibike for anyone else?

As for the NC700X, it's a Honda so I know it will last forever, but for that price one could get two legally plated Benellis from the same dealer and still have money left over to buy fuel for the next 2 years.
    You mean three legally plated Benellis and fuel! current price is 37,000 (39,000 if you don't haggle). x4 =148,000.

9. #9 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    From my undertsanding, in China, imported motorcycles made in Thailand are lesser taxed than motorcycles made in US or Italy for instance. I'm quite sure that the China-ASEAN free trade agreement has something to do about it. I'm not saying the price is right, it's not, it's about 2.5 times the price of the same bike in Europe and it's a damn shame.

10. #10 Re: Honda NC700X available in Shanghai! 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    You mean three legally plated Benellis and fuel! current price is 37,000 (39,000 if you don't haggle). x4 =148,000.
    Legally plated in Shanghai :). 140 is too darn much for a 51 HP 480 pound bike, especially when the Chinese alternatives are starting to catch up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast