Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Hot weather riding gear 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by branng View Post
    Was riding around in the extreme heat today in Beijing (high of 37 deg C / 100 deg F), in direct sunlight, while wearing a 3/4 helmet, a mesh jacket and thick denim jeans. I had to pull over to cool off in the shade for a bit as I began to exhibit clear signs of heatstroke: dizziness, an elevated pulse and feeling faint. All despite keeping fairly well hydrated by drinking plenty from the bottle of water I had with me. Removed my jacket and thankfully managed to cool off just enough to be able to continue riding to my destination.
    I recall reading some articles about how mesh jackets, although feeling cooler, actually work towards faster dehydration. Despite this, I also wear mesh in heat, but try to replenish water with at least one bottle (500 ml) every hour, or so, when riding in heat & sun. Dehydration on a bike is dangerous territory and it can creep up on a person.

Soaking one's garments (especially something like a t-shirt under a jacket) provides some comfort but, again, can actually accelerate dehydration by encouraging perspiration.

The key is always to ensure you remain hydrated, and let your body's cooling system do its job. If, however, your body temp rises and you start to feel symptoms of dehydration (headache, dizziness, blurred vision, etc), it is very important to stop riding and try to cool down in the shade, a stream, an air conditioned building, etc, for at least an hour, or so. I was once told, and use it as my own personal rule-of-thumb, that you should be drinking enough water that you need to take a serious whiz every hour, or so.

The experts on staying cool in heat are those who live in the desert (e.g., Saudi, etc), and you will always see them covered from head to foot in wraps of clothing. Although appearing counter-intuitive, it actually works. When I lived in the Middle East, and rode around on a bike, one would always wrap oneself with light-colored clothes to prevent any exposure to sun and especially to the immense drying effects of hot air passing across exposed skin. Even one patch of exposed skin works like a drain for your body's perspiration.

2. #12 Re: Hot weather riding gear 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post

I am wondering how effective this vest is for cooling down the rider in hot weather. You soak it in water before putting it on. It relies on the evaporation of the stored water for cooling.

I found it from my favorite site for motorcycle gears:
    http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...port_vest.html

They carry good stuff at very reasonable price.

Wondering if Taobao has something similar.
    There's another similar, which one places into a freezer, then wear as needed. From the reviews that I read at the time last year on another motorcycling website/forum (or was it the year before - duh!). I posted about it in a thread that was on MCM at the time, either last summer or the one before...

3. #13 Re: Hot weather riding gear 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    There's another similar, which one places into a freezer, then wear as needed. From the reviews that I read at the time last year on another motorcycling website/forum (or was it the year before - duh!). I posted about it in a thread that was on MCM at the time, either last summer or the one before...

OK. Should have used the Search button!

4. #14 Re: Hot weather riding gear 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post

I am wondering how effective this vest is for cooling down the rider in hot weather. You soak it in water before putting it on. It relies on the evaporation of the stored water for cooling.

I found it from my favorite site for motorcycle gears:
    http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...port_vest.html

They carry good stuff at very reasonable price.

Wondering if Taobao has something similar.
    Just checked out their product video, very interesting. Then again, I find it hard to believe me and my clothes would really remain bone dry after bathing a vest like that in a pool of water, then wearing it. I'd need to see it to believe it.

Anyone care to share any experiences?

5. #15 Re: Hot weather riding gear 
    Banned
    Beijing Motorway had some hot weather cooling gear the other day on display from Revit.....

Beijing Motorway Motorcycle Co. Ltd.
    Weibo: weibo.com/motorway
    Web: www.517Motor.com
    Web: www.527Motor.com
    On Line Shop: modewei.taobao.com
    On Line Shop: 527taban.taobao.com
    Add: 751 Power Square Beijing Zhengdong Group, 4# Jiuxianqiao Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China
    Zip Code: 100015
    -------------------------------------------------

Banned
    Bit urgent advise needed
    I'm off to Shanghai in Friday for few days and here there's places sale good gear - but I need specific details where etc
    I need gloves I've got massive hands and the other lol
    Xxxl in NZ is ok but here I can't find anything !
    Plz reply or pm me!
    Thanks in advance

7. #17 Re: Hot weather riding gear 
    [QUOTE]The experts on staying cool in heat are those who live in the desert (e.g., Saudi, etc), and you will always see them covered from head to foot in wraps of clothing. Although appearing counter-intuitive, it actually works. When I lived in the Middle East, and rode around on a bike, one would always wrap oneself with light-colored clothes to prevent any exposure to sun and especially to the immense drying effects of hot air passing across exposed skin. Even one patch of exposed skin works like a drain for your body's perspiration.[QUOTE]

Yup, covering up everything really helps. I've got a jacket with no mesh and I wear a moisture wicking long sleeve shirt from rei under it. The combination keeps a good balance between perspiration and evaporation, and I never feel too hot. If I unzip the front while riding fast I'll even feel cold for awhile. I wear a full face helmet and cover my face with a bandanna to keep from getting sunburned. I rode all around xinjiang in July and August and never had any problems. I also ride with a camelback and drink about 4 liters if I'm riding the whole day.

If you on an electric scooter that doesn't go fast and you want to wear protective clothing you'll probably just have to deal with the heat, as evaporation is slower when you're riding slower. If you wear on of those water vests and you don't ride fast or you're stuck in city traffic it will probably just end up feeling muggy.

Whatever you end up doing wearing light colors and long sleeves and drinking tons of water will help keep you from getting heatstroke. It's important to drink consistently throughout the day, not just when you're feeling hot. Good luck!

8. #18 Re: Hot weather riding gear 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'm not too sure about Beijing, but with the humidity in Shanghai covering up too much doesn't work because you just have this film of moisture remain on your body and inner layer... I find the mesh works in the humid parts of the world and covering as described above (in the desert) works in really dry places (Canada during hot summers).

I think the OP did the right thing you just have to stop and cool down...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12