Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hi from Hong Kong 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello there everyone

I'm Vic and am residing in Hong Kong at the moment and have been since 2006. Originally from Scotland I moved here to be with my now wife. I learned to ride here soon after I arrived and ride daily to and from work on a Suzuki DL650.

Also riden extensively in EU on my UK Honda NTV650 (Deauville) especially in Czech Republic

I was recommended to come here by ZMC888 as I am interested in getting information on riding my VStrom from Forfar Road HK all the way back to Forfar Road in my home town in Scotland. The intention is to do this next July 2014 when my current contract ends arriving in Scotland in time for the independence vote on September 18th. Initially the ride would take me through China, Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, France and then through England to Scotland. So it's quite a long shot I know but best to give it a go since I'll not be back in these parts after next year for some time.

If anyone has any info or advice on getting INTO China and or the other countries I would greatly appreciate it.

Hope to hear from some of you all

Vic

2. #2 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    I hope China V and a few others down in the Pearl Delta area will chip in, but as far as I'm aware it is pretty hard to get a HK bike legally into China. Although there might be some good news, if you have a HK driving license it should be legal in China, so maybe no transfer issues. Also insurance is included in a new motorcycle registration, so you could technically sell your bike in HK and buy a CFMOTO NK650 in Guangdong and ride it back to Scotland if getting your Vstrom out of HK is a no go. Check some of the threads in 'Ride prep and making tracks'.

Best Wishes.

3. #3 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for that ZMC888. I pass on the HK license and don't have to take the VStrom back so buying in China could be a more sensible option. Can non mainland residents do this? And I read somewhere that larger bikes fall into the luxury category of motor vehicles and are heavily taxed and taking them out of the country isn't possible either.
    Any idea on the cost of such a bike? Also do they offer options at point of sale?

4. #4 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    Check out the threads on the CFMOTO 650NK, the Jialing JA600 and the Benelli BJ600. All made in China and cost about 35,000-40,000 yuan which is sensible money for what they are. They are all exported and have at worst OK reviews, usually quite good reviews. Non residents can buy bikes in China, as far as I'm aware. You might need to grease a few palms or be very patient to get out of China on a Chinese bike, but it's been done.

5. #5 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    C-Moto Noob
    That's just the ticket I think as the VStrom is getting a bit shabby now though I would be hoping to add some touring bags are they available ?

6. #6 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    I suggest you put a thread in 'ride prep and making tracks' to get some attention. Include your situation and exactly what you want to do.

7. #7 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiprex View Post
    I pass on the HK license
    Does that mean you passed the test and have a HK license or you passed on getting a HK license and don't have one?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #8 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Welcome Shiprex,

It's quite the adventure you are planning, and you are smart to be flexible about the logistics and not being wedded to making the trip on the V-Strom. The Forfar-to-Forfar thing probably cannot be done literally, though you could ride the V to Laowo, walk into Shenzhen and continue riding from there on the new Chinabike, with the caveat that Shenzhen is presumably a dry town like so many in GD.

Someone posted recently that having a Hong Kong ID card made it possible to enter and ride in T*bet without getting a special internal visa generally required of foreigners, so regardless of what bike you choose I'd definitely explore that precious possibility. Use advanced search or google to see if you can find that ride report and consult with the poster. Member Frankie may also have valuable information in this regard, though as a Hong Kong native he may fall under different statutes.

Of the three medium displacement bikes suggested by ZMC888, I'm partial to the JH600, and not only because that's my China ride. Jialing spare parts and service expertise are far more pervasive in the southern, southwestern and western regions of China that most everyone in MCM would recommend for your route, and the JH600's overall reliability is much better understood than that of the two newer arrivals. In my personal opinion it's a very sturdy and robust bike, and much more of a dual sport capable of taking a ton of bad-road and off-road abuse compared to the "streetier" and a bit more delicate CFMotos (TR650 and 650NK) and the Benelli/Qianjiang. The Jialing as a thumper is torquier under the presumed load of panniers and bags, and will put out for 12 or 14 hours at a go, under load, at 120kph without the slightest complaint. I don't know I'd there's enough experience out there for the CFMotos or Benelli to make that claim.

Do keep us posted about your preparations!

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Does that mean you passed the test and have a HK license or you passed on getting a HK license and don't have one?

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    I do have a Hong Kong Car and bike license which I had to relinquish to have my UK one updated to include bike and then when I returned to HK the transport department returned the original HK one so I actually have a UK and HK license.

10. #10 Re: Hi from Hong Kong 
    C-Moto Noob
    Euphonius
    Thanks for that information and suggestions. I was wondering whether there would be a means of getting to a place where it's not 'dry' nearby so I could get a bike there and head off on a solo trip or do I, as a non China resident (not sure if HK permanent resident status affects this), have to be accompanied by a local guide?
    Going to Tibet was tbh my original thought on doing this trip and heading through India and Persia to Turkey and Greece but with all the potential trouble (not researched this so it could be untrue) of getting permission and things to ride through these countries as well as Tibet as a solo rider. But I talked myself out of it thinking there are more countries to deal with = more borders = more paperwork = more cost etc. but perhaps (hopefully) I am wrong there. The Kaz, Rus, Bel, Pol ... route just sounded simpler. After The Long Way Round I figured they managed it and so it must be possible (not easy).

But my original inspiration was Ted Simon's Jupiter's Travels and they solo ride he did. 5 years though I don't have so a shorter more specific and planned route is more suitable.

One of those tour companies says they can get my license sorted, bike reg'd and legal in China but would need a guide and transport as part of the package and that would escalate the costs. They were insistent that it was no problem their side and I only had to deal with the HK side so if it is possible perhaps there is a diet version where I could do the dealings and arrangements myself and keep it simple.

I think I'll head to the Chinese Consulate here and do some probing regarding the correct procedures to do such a thing and given something I read on one of the other forums here about China's 5 year plan including promoting tourism I think I may (finger's crossed) be able to play on their hear strings a bit and suggest that it's really what Beiging wants and would be a boon for tourists coming over to ride China (in the 2 wheel sense).

Anyway I'll keep you posted on progress.

Shiprex