Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 BMW, KTM, TVS, Husquvarna.... 
    Why is BMW partnering with TVS?

Its the KTM DUKES that are inspiring them, the 390 is detailed on the USA KTM website but it is not listed for sale. However based on the language it seems the intention is for sale in the USA.

With the 390 only weighing 330lb and offering 44hp, who would not enjoy ridding it?

I predict the under 500cc market gets really heated up in the coming years, BMW is likely to introduce its own urban street bike to compete with the KTM Duke line. They are not hiding the fact that they intend to do with TVS the same as KTM-Bajaj are doing, they plan to mass produce and offer two lines under both brands.

What is interesting is that BMW sold off Husqvarna and sold the brand to the president of KTM as Pierer Industrie AG of Austria, as in Stephan Pierer. This man is not afraid of a challenge look what he has done with KTM.

Bajaj is also interested in a controlling interest in KTM, they are interest in purchasing an additional 8-9% share and also want to build more advanced bikes in India.

How can Pierer maintain a executive position with KTM when he owns a competitive brand?

Also there is a technology share with BMW at Husquvarna that being the 650 single. To make it even more interesting that engine is coming out of Loncin in China. Pierer has already been quoted as saying he has no interests in manufacturing in China, that he feels that the business environment favors always the Chinese and he is not as an executive interested in being placed as second in such environments.

Bajaj is poised to basically take over KTM, they are going after a controlling interest and with that they would control the company. Not necessarily any of this is bad or wrong, but some of it looks like manipulating as KTM gets bought out then what is in it ultimately for Pierer? Can a president of one corporation sell off that company to fund his own?

I better see some affordable bikes out of this, because that is what matters not these power brokers getting richer off the back of low paid India labor and selling low cost mass production at premiums under premiums brands, to me it is maniacal, I am seeing signs of corruption when lines are crossed. How can the executive of a corporation own a competitive brand? He could literally cash out his shares at a premium and shift the capital he earns to a competitive brand that he owns.

The game is rigged I think.
    Last edited by MJH; 09-08-2013 at 05:29 PM.