Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Are these all the same? This is the balloon tired clone of the old Suzuki RV-125cc 4 stroke. Does anyone have one of these, or ridden one?

2. #2 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    I didn' t realize that Roketa is now distributing the skyteams, too,but they are. These are the same Skyteam mfg. bike.

3. #3 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thanks, culcune. They also have the CT-70 clone. I like the looks of the TRex, and it looks like a fun bike. I would sure like to hear about these from owners.

4. #4 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    I have yet to read about anyone here or chinariders owning the t-rex. There are a couple videos on youtube, including one by skyteam usa, and some from Europe and the UK, but that is it. I have tried to search for any videos by pitster on their sherpa, but nothing comes up.

Roketa only sells wholesale, but I would guess someone sells Roketa in Hawaii and could order one for you. They seem like a great bike for the islands. The entrepeneur in me sees a Hawaiian rental business for them, as well as some other bikes...

5. #5 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Yeah, I've found a few videos, and that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I have yet to read about anyone here or chinariders owning the t-rex. There are a couple videos on youtube, including one by skyteam usa, and some from Europe and the UK, but that is it. I have tried to search for any videos by pitster on their sherpa, but nothing comes up.

Roketa only sells wholesale, but I would guess someone sells Roketa in Hawaii and could order one for you. They seem like a great bike for the islands. The entrepeneur in me sees a Hawaiian rental business for them, as well as some other bikes...

6. #6 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    C-Moto Senior
    I own a T Rex here in the Uk, maybe I can help with any wuestions you might have. Have been riding it for a year now.

7. #7 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    Ok, what is your impression of the bike over this past year? Give us the good, the bad, and the ugly, please. Videos and/or photos are not necessary, but still appreciated!

8. #8 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi culcune,
    the T Rex is my first bike I have owned in 30 years and my last was a Honda CT70, so I dont have much experience riding many machines but overall the T Rex seems like a pretty good bike to me, especially considering the low cost. It returns good fuel consumption, I am currently getting 20 miles per half litre of fuel. With a tank of 3.8 litres (an american gallon I think?) I get about 140 miles between fills. I dont ride the bike too hard as I have still been running in the engine. Its a pity the tank isnt a little larger though as I think this would be advantageous on longer runs.

To me the build quality seems pretty good, although I have had some issues with a couple of items on the bike but I think this was more to do with assembly by the dealer rather than something Skyteam had neglected. All of my riding is on tarmac and haven't taken the T Rex off road. It seems to handle quiet well and gives positive feedback through the controls, of course its no racer but it wasn't designed for that purpose. It seems happiest between 35 and 40 mph. I use it to commute to work on main roads and small side roads in a semi rural area and for this its fine. Not sure I would want to use it on freeways as its a bit under powered for that.
    I sometimes have issues with the knobbly tyres on tarmac, it feels as if it would run better on slicks or road tyres but this is only a minor niggle. And I am sure I have read before of trail bike riders complaining of knobblies on tarmac. I am very satisfied with my purchase and am even considering buying a Skyteam Skymax to add to the stable. When I can work out how to post photos I will put a few on of the T Rex. The UK models arent fitted with a rev counter/tacho which was a bit disappointing but I just purchased a tacho/hour meter from Ebay and fitted it, works fine. I upgraded the headlight bulb to halogen and fitted a larger louder horn, but everything else is standard on it. I have removed the rear rack as I didnt like the look of it. I made up a couple of small oval brackets from plate aluminium to mount the rear indicators on. Oh and I removed all the decals as I prefer the plain look,

Regards Paul.
    Last edited by trexuk; 08-22-2013 at 04:44 AM. Reason: to add more details

9. #9 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    C-Moto Senior
    Thanks for the information. Those big balloon tires were a concern of mine, as far as how they handle on pavement. Also, do they tend to bounce the bike as both the suspension and the balloon tires rebound? How about tire wear on those huge tires?

10. #10 Re: Sherpa, TRex, Roketa 124cc Street Bike MC-38?? 
    Thank you Paul, for your informative post. I am not surprised by anything you wrote, as most of them apply across the broad spectrum of Chinese bikes. Of course the idea of your tires are unique to a select few fat tired bikes offered over the years, including the bike yours is copied from, the RV. I believe the Suzuki was the only streeted bike out of the few offered,probably for the same reasons you gave--the ride quality on tarmac.

I have not been to the big Island, only Maui, in a rental car, but I do remember predominantly paved roads.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast