Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Which would be the best Chinese dirt bike to travel in Mongolia. The Galaxy XTR ? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello to all members

My name is Cheke and I am organizing motorbike trips in Mongolia

You can have a look to my website there*: www.motorbikemongolia.com

I have been reading quite a lot's of post on the Galaxy XTR with a keen interest as I am planning to buy some dirt bikes made in China for my custumers.

Right now, I'm using Mustang 150cc which are very good indeed as they are plenty of spare parts anywhere in Mongolia and Russian made Ural.

I like the Galaxy as it can be equipped with a big tank and racks to carry lot's of luggages but I would like to hear the opinion of people who actually owned it and have first hand experience with it.

I would also be very curious to know which dirt bike, in your opinion, is the best in the Chinese market and that would be suitable for my tours.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and advices

Kind regards

Cheke

2. #2 Re: Which would be the best Chinese dirt bike to travel in Mongolia. The Galaxy XTR 
    I would look at the Galaxy, but also the Qingqi bikes. Hell, whatever brand is easily available in Mongolia should be considered. What bike did Crazy Carl ride through for his video? I don't remember offhand, but it was a 150cc enduro, and it served him quite well.

3. #3 Re: Which would be the best Chinese dirt bike to travel in Mongolia. The Galaxy XTR 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you for your answer. None of those bikes are available in Mongolia so availability is not a criterium of choice. I'm just planning to buy more bikes than I need and use the extra ones for spare parts. What would be your choice then between the Qingqi and the Galaxy then considering that 90% of the use will be off road ?

4. #4 Re: Which would be the best Chinese dirt bike to travel in Mongolia. The Galaxy XTR 
    Not the QingQi.

XTR is fine if your customers aren't big.

You can also look at the Shineray.

Just so you know, you get what you pay for, and quite often get less than you pay for in China. If I was running a reputable tour agency in Mongolia, I wouldn't be looking at Chinese garbage. Get a couple good Japanese bikes and get on with it. If you look at the majority of the rentals in Asia, they are usually Honda XR250 or Suzuki DR250.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Which would be the best Chinese dirt bike to travel in Mongolia. The Galaxy XTR 
    C-Moto Noob
    I know that a second hand Japanese bike is much better than a brand new Chinese one but there is absolutely no market in Mongolia for Japanese motorcycle and no spare parts. To buy new ones and bring them here would cost too much and that is the reason I'm looking to these Chinese bikes. I have also been using the 150cc Mustang and I'm quite happy with them. Easy to fix, spare parts all over and not that bad at all.
    So all in all my choice will be between the Qingqi, the XTR and the Shineray

6. #6 Re: Which would be the best Chinese dirt bike to travel in Mongolia. The Galaxy XTR 
    Read the xtr threads if you haven't already done so. I would lean towards the Qingqi, due to their Suzuki connections, but that is more personal preference. The Galaxy has proven itself in the Talikaman (sp?) Rally, however, which while not the most abusive race, does show its off-road capabilities. Shineray has a great high-end bike in its liquid-cooled enduro, but might have issues with their more basic bikes. The Jialing 150 seems to have a good reputation based on its thread here on mychinamoto.
    Last edited by culcune; 06-04-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: correction