Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hello from Peru

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Hello from Peru 
    I live in Lima Peru. I own & ride a Lifan 150-11 Cruiser.

2. #2 Re: Hello from Peru 
    Living the dream...... Rotortrash's Avatar
    Hey Amigo! I live in Tarapoto, Peru----I own a Qingqi QM200GY----

3. #3 Re: Hello from Peru 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Is this a great forum or what?

I hope you guys find each other, and can post some ride reports from the Andes!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: Hello from Peru 
    How do you like your Jailing JH600? I've been looking for a big bore bike from a chinese manufacturer, because there aren't much in the way of importation taxes here in Peru, on things from China. I'd like a bigger dual sport, and I'm not sure the JH600 is really what I want.....I'd like to travel to some of the more distant places here in Peru, but with a passenger....this is what is killing me with the Qingqi----with 2 people, it struggles with the long hills----other that that it's a great machine--deffinately the best of the chinese builders that I see here in Peru. Let me know-------------

5. #5 Re: Hello from Peru 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Hi Rotortrash,

you'll see a lot of threads around the JH600 in this forum, including a recent ride report from Pfaelzer called JH600 - Wet and Muddy in Fujian that specifically deals with your question about riding two-up. Pfaelzer has done a lot of modifications to his Jialing, particularly a stronger rear spring that helps with the weight of two riders. But most of us have not made those mods and are quite happy with the overall performance. My biggest caveat is the front suspension, which is too squishy for me and compresses almost completely with firm front braking. But this can be adjusted with progressive springs and perhaps a more viscous fork oil.

Bottom line: If you are used to a BMW or Multistrada or similar, you may feel the Jialing is a bit underpowered and inferior. But if you've been riding another Chinese bike, the Jialing takes things to a whole 'nother level. Even longtime BMW riders, including Franki and Pfaelzer and Lao Jia Huo, give the JH600 enormous credit for being a well-made, reliable and powerful choice -- really the only choice for now in China if you want the bigger horsepower.

Have a look through the forum and come back to us with specific questions.

Oh, and what about my original question: Did you ever connect with Tom Gillwald?

I look forward to reading about your Peruvian meanderings!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: Hello from Peru 
    No I haven't heard anything from Tom yet, and with work, and all, that makes it tougher. I appreciate your information about the Jailing! I'm used to riding a Qingqi QM200, so I'm sure something like the jailing will be a step up in power, but I'm not sure I want that style of bike.........maybe....... I'm more of a dual sport rider---I used to own a Suzuki DR650.....and that is the style I like..... But I love travel, and I might not have much choice!